Dallas Turner - Final Curtain

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Diego

Dallas Turner - Final Curtain

Postby Diego » April 23rd, 2014, 2:11 am

Dallas Turner passed away April 4th, and was buried in his beloved Nevada.
Dallas had an amazing life and careers as, "Nevada Slim", cowboy singer and writer, promoter, master pitchman, minister, and spiritual sensitive.

He is especially remembered for his work in the, "Border Radio" stations, whose towers below the Mexican Border, blasted their signals up across all of North America.

He knew and worked with some of the early radio mentalists, (Ralph Richards, Robert Nelson, Koran and Rose Dawn among others)who used the Border Stations, when the FCC was pushing them off the US airwaves.

He was very generous sharing his memories and stories, over the years and greatly helped my own research of those mentalists who were among the first to see the potential of a new-fangled thing called radio, that could reach an audience, far beyond the walls of a theater.

He spent many hours over the years, cutting up jackpots with me, for which I and others will always be grateful.

A remarkable, kind, giving person, he will be missed.

MagiCanuck

Re: Dallas Turner - Final Curtain

Postby MagiCanuck » May 22nd, 2014, 11:37 pm

Dallas was extensively quoted in the excellent "Border Radio" by Gene Fowler and Bill Crawford (University of Texas Press, 2002). It's a highly entertaining read about all those "quacks, yodelers, pitchmen, psychics and other amazing broadcasters of the American airwaves" that used to broadcast from Mexico-based "border blasters".

Several years later the BBC in the UK aired a two part radio documentary about those same "border blasters" that focused in on the history of Wolfman Jack. You may find it somewhere online. Dallas was also interviewed for that documentary.

A unique individual who lived out a fascinating story. May he R.I.P.

Diego

Re: Dallas Turner - Final Curtain

Postby Diego » May 25th, 2014, 3:20 am

I also first heard of Dallas from reading, "Border Radio", and the authors put me in contact with him. We both contributed additional material for the 2nd addition of the book.

Good to see you out there, Michael.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”