Tim Star interview

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
John Houdi

Tim Star interview

Postby John Houdi » February 24th, 2014, 3:19 am

In 2011 I interviewed legendary Swedish/American magician and craftsman Tim Star for The Magic Newswire and later iTricks. The interview never made it in those podcasts but I still think many of you would enjoy this 20 minute interview with a swede who moved to the US to work at Rings n' Things, performing at several nightclubs across the US, worked in shows with friends Mac King, Lance Burton and more and went on to cruise ships where he ended up as a talent coordinator.

After a few years he left magic and finally moved back to Sweden but he still creates magic and produce excellent metal props for magicians like Penn & Teller, Mac King and the likes.

Well, better you hear himself tell the story. I think you are going to like it:

Last edited by John Houdi on February 24th, 2014, 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Houdi

Re: Tim Star interview

Postby John Houdi » February 24th, 2014, 3:54 am

Here's a recent video with Tim Star at his workshop in Harries Magic's old property that you might enjoy as well:

Tortuga

Postby Tortuga » June 6th, 2014, 10:43 pm

John, thanks so much for posting these interviews. I knew Tim when he first came to St. Louis and I can tell you he was a very nice man. Very generous with his input. He helped me improve my technique on a silk routine I used to do. I was at the Midwest Jubilee that he referenced in the interviews. I still remember his act and Lance Burton's. Lance walked around solving a Rubik's cube all night. I think he could solve it in 45 seconds or something. When he wasn't doing that he was backpalming huge groups of cards. It was fun to watch.

As I said, Tim was generous. I was at John Mendoza's magic shop when Chris Kenner worked there and one day Tim came in to visit. He saw Chris and reached into his pocket and brought out a beautiful copper Okito box. It had a large, loose lid that Chris was wanting to try. Tim had made it himself and gave it to Chris, who I can tell you was very happy.

Tim was also an incredible close up performer. His above the table chop cup load was unbelievable. He also could do miracles with the old Rings-n-Things Long John Silver coin box. Yes it was gaffed, but that box and his hands could make you want to cry.

Anyways, thanks, the videos were a real treat!
It's never crowded on the extra mile.....

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » June 7th, 2014, 8:47 am

I have a Tim Starr mini fire bowl in mint condition. I bought it from Tim decades ago and never used it.

Tortuga

Postby Tortuga » June 8th, 2014, 9:43 am

Bob, on a slightly related note, Tim had experimented once upon a time with making flaming thimbles! I saw some prototypes and used to have 4 aluminum, knurled thimbles that he had developed along the way. I believe he stopped his efforts before he perfected them, but that would have been awesome. I can imagine him performing his multiplying candles and then plucking the flame off onto his forefinger, multiplying that until he had flames on each finger.
It's never crowded on the extra mile.....

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”