Derek Dingle, John Scarne

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Derek Dingle, John Scarne

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 23rd, 2012, 9:16 pm

I can't lay my hands on it, but Derek never used a LePaul wallet when I spent time with him, so the card never came out of an envelope. I don't want to say more, because I'm going to write this up and make a free little booklet that will go into the goodie bag for attendees of the Genii convention. :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » March 23rd, 2012, 9:49 pm

Emailed you.
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » March 23rd, 2012, 11:28 pm

Jim Riser wrote:
Kevin Connolly wrote:Mine is in shrink-wrap, in a storage unit that's in a survival bunker.

But I don't have the key. :(

Use an authentic Houdini lock pick.
Jim

The lock picks are with the book!
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

castawaydave

Postby castawaydave » March 24th, 2012, 1:35 am

EHO posted: "But is there any other field where you can participate in a de facto conversation like this one, with people of similar stature?"

Well observed, Sir.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » March 24th, 2012, 2:14 am

I never worked this idea up to performance, but I had an idea to put something else in the pocket, next to the wallet. Reach in with the palmed card and get it halfway in the wallet, and then pull out the other thing, as though it were in the way of you getting to the wallet, and then reach in, complete the load, and remove the wallet. That breaks the fiddling into two less-obvious halves and conceals one by the (unstated) thing that was in the way.

This is all based on reading Jamy Swiss describe a Mike Skinner ruse for card to pocket.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » March 24th, 2012, 4:56 am

Pete, That's pretty much my handling as well.

Although I can load things in one go, I find it much more efficient to do it in two steps.

Asser Andersen

Postby Asser Andersen » March 24th, 2012, 9:29 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:I can't lay my hands on it, but Derek never used a LePaul wallet when I spent time with him, so the card never came out of an envelope. I don't want to say more, because I'm going to write this up and make a free little booklet that will go into the goodie bag for attendees of the Genii convention. :)

Juan Tamariz and now this! + all the other good stuff. I'm looking so much forward to the Genii convention. :) :) :)

Alfred

Postby Alfred » March 24th, 2012, 9:32 am

Pete McCabe wrote:... That breaks the fiddling into two less-obvious halves and conceals one by the (unstated) thing that was in the way.

Ian Kendall wrote:... Although I can load things in one go, I find it much more efficient to do it in two steps.

Many years ago, the great magician Tino Call published a thorough analysis on the card to wallet effect. He proposed a two step solution in order to better disguise the method.

Although this analysis was published in the magazine Ilusionismo #378 (pages 6 to 12) he was using it way back in 1987, since he won 1st price in cardmagic in Oviedo with one of his signature effects (La muerte del conejo) using that very same approach.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » March 24th, 2012, 9:35 am

"Death of the Rabbit"? I'd love to see that act...

Alfred

Postby Alfred » March 24th, 2012, 10:33 am

Ian Kendall wrote:"Death of the Rabbit"? I'd love to see that act...

Yes, the death of the rabbit. I'm sure you'll love it but I'm afraid it's never been recorded. If you ever meet Tino, don't hesitate to ask him!

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » March 24th, 2012, 5:32 pm

Aw, I think Doomo just wants the clip so he and the missus can have some laffs listening to Barbara Walters pronounce, "Derek Dingle."

Doomo

Postby Doomo » March 25th, 2012, 8:31 am

Bill McFadden wrote:Aw, I think Doomo just wants the clip so he and the missus can have some laffs listening to Barbara Walters pronounce, "Derek Dingle."

Ahhh Bill, you are one of the only ones who would remember that! I can still picture Gilda Radner doing that great send up!

But to the ORIGINAL point of this thread...Ahem...
Does ANYONE have these videos of Dingle on the Tomorrow show or The Barbara Walters show?

Please! I have searched for years... People keep saying silly ass stuff like "Keep searching..." Duh! Someone out there must have this.....
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » March 25th, 2012, 1:25 pm

Tony,

Lookin fer ya,

There's this clip of Scarne, (two clips on the guy's site)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTjLxhnet6g

I'm asking around out here for the Dingle stuff.

KG

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”