Houdini Gets A Speeding ticket

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Kevin Connolly

Houdini Gets A Speeding ticket

Postby Kevin Connolly » May 2nd, 2011, 6:44 pm

I just posted an interesting, and to me, a funny article on Houdini being issued a speeding ticket on my blog. I think Hardeen may have been doing some hanky panky with the police officer. Here is the link:

http://houdinihimself.com/?cat=3

Kevin
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Richard Hatch

Re: Houdini Gets A Speeding ticket

Postby Richard Hatch » May 2nd, 2011, 8:40 pm

Hmmmm... weird that the article consistently misspells the name as "Houidini". Also that it gives his "right name" as Theodore Weiss and refers to his children being with him, but the address given is Houdini's...

houdini's ghost

Postby houdini's ghost » May 2nd, 2011, 9:23 pm

The address, I believe, was Hardeen's home to which Houdini and Bessie had recently moved. Somebody, who was a witness to either the ticketing or the arraignment (the cop, the magistrate--someone with access to the info "Houidini" gave) mis-identified Theo to the paper. There is no indication that Theo Weiss did other than present his correct ID. Maybe the cop picked up on him because he thought it was Houdini, the new celebrity in the neighborhood, zipping past.
Somebody should send the link to George Hardeen, whose dad was one of the two kids in their bathing suits "in the machine" --I had to read that sentence three times before I figured out the machine was the car.
There's an Irish lilt to Houidini--and I've known Irishmen named Dodd and Preston.
Dash says he's wasn't going over twenty.

alecX

Postby alecX » August 27th, 2012, 5:13 am

Thanks! That was really funny. I didn't even realize that 32 miles per hour was speeding? Times really change. And given the fact that Houdini didnt drive, it would have to be Hardeen. Maybe the maker of the car wasnt mentioned because they figured it was probably a Model-T.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 27th, 2012, 3:09 pm

The speed limit in Washington DC is 25 miles per hour. And they're plenty happy to give you a ticket for exceeding it. It's a major source of income for the local government.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”