Thurston's floating sphere

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
P.T.Widdle

Thurston's floating sphere

Postby P.T.Widdle » April 27th, 2011, 8:26 pm

I'm curious. In Jim Steinmeyer's great new biography, the description of the floating sphere Thurston used in his spirit cabinet later in his career seemed similar to David P. Abbott's version. Steinmeyer mentioned that Thurston was one of the many magicians who visited Abbott in Ohio. Did he purchase the trick? Was he "inspired" and created his own? Or did he create it independently? I don't recall reading about Abbott selling it to Thurston in the Todd Karr books.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Re: Thurston's floating sphere

Postby Joe Pecore » April 27th, 2011, 8:42 pm

Based on the chapter "HISTORY OF THE FLOATING BALL" in "Okito On Magic", Abbott showed it to both of them at the same time and later presented each with one as a gift. This was when Okito was traveling with the Thurston show playing in Omaha and were invited as guests to the home of David P. Abbott.

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » April 28th, 2011, 4:58 pm

Thurston's full (?) explanation of his floating ball routine was published (many) years ago by Magic, Inc., described by Herman Hanson (one of Thurston's assistants) with the blessing of Thurston's daughther, Jane.

While the routine used elements of Abbott's, it was more complex allowing for some movements not possible with Abbott's method. Thurston's routine used two hidden assistants, in addition to Abbott's single-man method. The routine is also explained, incomplete, in Rev. Olson's books on Thurston published by Micky Hades.

The Hanson booklet is worth tracking down, IMHO...
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » April 28th, 2011, 8:18 pm

Just what I had hoped. Suggestions for more interesting books. Thanks. I'll put them on my list.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”