Things You Had, then Sold, Traded, Tossed, etc. and Now You Regret

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
magicam

Things You Had, then Sold, Traded, Tossed, etc. and Now You Regret

Postby magicam » April 4th, 2010, 3:26 am

My guess is everyone has at least one item that fits the bill.

For me, one thing that comes to mind is an 1899 Houdini Orpheum program that I obtained when I was 12 or so and then sold a few years later - I believed the guy when he said it wasn't that rare.

flynn

Re: Things You Had, then Sold, Traded, Tossed, etc. and Now You Regret

Postby flynn » April 4th, 2010, 3:52 am

My first 9" turquoise colored silk and thumb tip. I lost it while moving. I was gutted. I kept it also in my first ever coin purse. Wish I could have those back.

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » April 4th, 2010, 8:59 am

On not one, but two occasions, I've spent a locking 21 cent trick nickle. I'd love to get another one, in complete denial of the proof that I can't be trusted with them.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 4th, 2010, 9:24 am

Tom Frame wrote:On not one, but two occasions, I've spent a locking 21 cent trick nickle. I'd love to get another one, in complete denial of the proof that I can't be trusted with them.

I spent a cig-thru-coin on a can of coke once. I was thirsty, but not *that* thirsty. I have also spent a coin unique. So now, I just use american gaffed coins. I can't spend them!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 4th, 2010, 10:07 am

I don't think Clay is talking about losing a gimmicked coin, but rather selling/trading/accidentally throwing away a valuable collectible.

I had just bought a Tarbell Orange Vase from Owen for $600 before moving from one house to another. I had it in the first house, but never found it after moving to the second. That really pissed me off a lot!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

terry love

Postby terry love » April 4th, 2010, 11:08 am

In 1982 I bought a collection of 200 old spook show posters from a magic shop in Parma, Ohio for $50.00. Today I see them on ebay for $200-$400 each. Back then they looked so cheap and tacky.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 4th, 2010, 11:43 am

I'll bet more than a few people have had the rather pricey experience of having their copy of "Fatal Sins" left behind/given away/sold.

Christopher Lyle

Postby Christopher Lyle » April 4th, 2010, 12:10 pm

About 20 years ago, a friend of mine gave me a trick that he had purchased at a yard sale. He said that he just saw it sitting there with some old toys and books, and thought it would be something I might like, so he bought it for $5.00.

It came with no instructions, but it was one of those things that looked good on my Magic Shelf so I hung on to it. I had no idea what it was, who made, or what the effect was, tho' upon inspection, was able to piece together how I THOUGHT the routine was supposed to go down.

Anyway...I hung onto it until about 3 years ago. I needed to make more room on my shelf and decided I need to "thin out" my collection a little.

I put it up on Ebay and was shocked at how many people jumped on the auction. It quickly sold for about $200.00!

WOW!

What was it...? It was "Curious Cubes" by Milson Worth.

I KICK MYSELF everytime I think about it. What I thought was "meh" was really the PRIZE of my collection. I tried to buy it back from the person who bought it from me and he said he'd part with it for $1500.00.

Oh well....

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
www.lylemagic.com
Columnist - The Magic Menu

DrDanny

Postby DrDanny » April 4th, 2010, 12:24 pm

Once, in a state of penury (and with rent due), I sold my entire library to Byron Walker. I was reasonably well remunerated, but now regret losing some real treasures. E.g. Full run of PBR, Epilog, Richard's Almanac, Marlo Mag., and several Jerry Hartman private pamphlets. There was more, but it's too depressing to think about now.

Furneaux

Postby Furneaux » April 4th, 2010, 2:51 pm

I gave away the very thin bottom for a voodoo doll routine, signed & made by Will Alma (an Australian magician) I kick myself now because I could really use it. And....

The first 3 Albo books I sold years ago.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”