Oscar Eliason, the original Dante - major update

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Kent Blackmore

Oscar Eliason, the original Dante - major update

Postby Kent Blackmore » May 14th, 2009, 10:25 pm

Twenty-five years after the publication of my first monograph on Oscar Eliason, the Original 'Dante The Great', a major web-based update has been released, containing significant new information in the story of this talented American magician who died an untimely death in Australia at the age of just thirty.

With the advent of internet text-searchable newspaper indexes for all major Utah newspapers, Eliason's early years between 1893-1897 have now come into the light. How, in a professional career lasting just six years, did Oscar come to be ranked with the likes of Alexander Herrmann? Read about the fight between Eliason and pseudo-spiritualist Harry Waite, and his exposure of Anna Eva Fay. Was the Eliason home on Third Avenue jinxed? New text, added illustrations and new insight into the life of a brilliant young magician.

See Magic In Sydney (Dante link), and check the other stories of mystery in the History section.

Allen Tipton

Re: Oscar Eliason, the original Dante - major update

Postby Allen Tipton » July 25th, 2009, 10:07 am

Have read your original book many times (My copy is 040)Kent. Didn't realise till today that it was 1985 when you sent it to me.And yes Oscar Elliason was a fascinating figure and I look forward to reading more about him.
Would love to know what happened to his apparatus..especially 'The Mysterious Bicycle Ride' ( Rollo on The Wheel)I know from the book that Frank Elliason toured Oscar's show for a while then Edmunda but after that?
Allen Tipton UK

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”