Toole-Stott's Magic Library

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Mr. Motte

Toole-Stott's Magic Library

Postby Mr. Motte » April 14th, 2009, 5:35 pm

Hello -
I was looking over books by J. B. Findlay, and his association with Toole-Stott came up. I know Findlay's collection were sold at auction, and Toole-Stott's circus collection is at UC Santa Barbara. However, did Toole-Stott have a sizable magic book collection and, if so, where did it go?

Many thanks -
Gene Alloway
"When you enter the ocean you enter the food chain, & not necessarily at the top." Jacques Cousteau

JimAlfredson

Re: Toole-Stott's Magic Library

Postby JimAlfredson » April 14th, 2009, 5:59 pm

Hello Gene:
My understanding is that, no, toole-Stott didn't have a significant magic library. An experienced bibliographer, he knew where the material was, and spent time visiting the major collections in America and the U.K. He was a nice man, very knowledgeable, and trusted by these major collectors as one who would do a very professional job. Though I only met him twice, my chats with such as H. Adrian Smith, Byron Walker,Eddie Dawes, and other major collectors who knew him well reflected this. As you've no doubt noted, he went to the trouble of issuing his second volume largely due to the availability of the Jones/Walker library; that was the sort of scholar he was.
Cheers! -jim alfredson

magicam

Postby magicam » April 15th, 2009, 3:01 am

FWIW, I've had the same impression as Jim, although I faintly recall that Toole Stott did have at least a few desirable magic titles. Check out the Sotheby's auction catalog for a sale held on Dec. 2 & 3, 1982, which, among other things, contained remnants of the Findlay collection, and some items from The Magic Circle and Tom Morley's library.

Mr. Motte

Postby Mr. Motte » April 15th, 2009, 1:08 pm

Many thanks for the info and suggestion.

-Gene
"When you enter the ocean you enter the food chain, & not necessarily at the top." Jacques Cousteau

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”