Robertson and Pinetti in Russia

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Stepanov

Robertson and Pinetti in Russia

Postby Stepanov » January 1st, 2009, 7:18 am

Just now I work with Russian documents about visiting of Pinetti and Robertson to Russia. If I know well most information about this in West World taken from Memoirs of Robertson published on 1830-34. If I understand well some of correctness was missed 30 years after adventures. But Russian sources give absolutely correct dates, because was published on periodical papers. So first Robertson fly in Moscow on July 1804, not 1806 like written on "The Illustrated History of Magic". Also there are diary of visiting last king of Poland to Russia and information about performance of Pinetti on August 1796 in Grodno, not like 1797 what used most of books.

Unfortunately, my research limited of short cuts from Robertson. Long time I try get this source but can not find it. If I know well it was not English translating. If somebody interesting cooperate and help me get information (only cut about Pinetti) I will be appreciate.

I will be happy help with translation of Russian sources for anybody who deep interesting history.

P.S. And Happy New Year to all...

cass

Re: Robertson and Pinetti in Russia

Postby cass » April 14th, 2009, 10:10 am

Привет, Степанов!

Пишу из англии. Очень интересуюсь тем, что вы писали о Робертсоне и Пинетти, особенно тем, что касается современной перидоической печати. Я исследую историей робертсона в России (мало кто знает об этом в англоязычной славистике), и не могу найти газетных истоков здесь. Вы не могли подсказать, в каких именно газетах или журналах находятся упоминания о Робертсоне? Также буду рада вам помочь, если смогу.

Всего доброго,

Касс

cass

Postby cass » April 14th, 2009, 10:20 am

PS Я забыла сказать, что у меня есть фотокопия частей мемуаров Робертсона (да, с таким трудом довелось найти!), включая и страницы о Пинетти. Могу послать вам копии; только дайте знать, куда отправить. Могли бы вы сделать то же самое, еслу у вас есть копии статьей о Роберстоне?

Касс

Stepanov

Postby Stepanov » April 18th, 2009, 3:17 pm

Apologize. Long time did not see responses and forget check this thread.

There is philologist (professor) Tatiana Smolyarova who wrote next article: http://magazines.russ.ru/nlo/2005/76/smo11.html There are inside some of notes and comments with additional information.

She know French and translate very much correct texts. Unfortunately she nothing wrote about Pinetti. Now I try connect with her.

I little do not understand what you mean. You mean English newspapers? How I can know what written about Robertson on English newspapers better than man who now placed on Britain?

P.S. I hope you get second edition with number of engraves.

cass

Postby cass » April 19th, 2009, 5:01 pm

Thanks, I have the Smolyarova article.

The newspapers I have in mind are the ones you refer to in your first post. You wrote:' But Russian sources give absolutely correct dates, because was published on periodical papers.' Which periodical papers? I meant these, not English papers, which I can access without a problem myself.

Can you clarify?

Stepanov

Postby Stepanov » April 20th, 2009, 2:15 am

A-a-a-a-a. Just now I understand... Apologize.

Newspapers what I mean:

Advertising of Ivan Ivanov son of Pinetti Fly:
Moscow Vedomosti ("Московские ведомости"), 1803, № 42, pp. 712, 713; № 43 p. 734. 1803,

Not fly:
Moscow Vedomosti ("Московские ведомости"), pp. 808, 834, 845, 874, 905, 917, 937-938, 951

First fly of Robertson:
Sankt Petersburg Vedomosti ("Санктпетербургские ведомости"), 1804, 8 июля, № 55, стр. 1628-1629.

"Прибавление к "Санктпетербургским ведомостям" № 71.
В пятницу сентября 2-го дня 1804-го года". "Технологический
журнал", издаваемый Академией наук, том IV, часть II, СПБ,
1807, стр. 132-152. Журнал "Воздухоплаватель", 1880, № 10
и 11, стр. 96-99 и 102-107.

Robertson and Parashute:
"Московские ведомости", 1806, 5 мая, № 36, стр. 764-765.
"Московские ведомости", 1806, 6 июня, № 45, стр. 933-934.

Is this what you ask? This is just basic and most important articles... Here you can compare some of dates and names.

cass

Postby cass » April 21st, 2009, 5:26 am

Hello again,

Yes, that's really helpful. Thank you. Do you have copies of these (on Robertson?). If so, could we do an exchange - i will send you the pages on Pinetti from Robert's memoirs if you could send these to me. Is that possible? (If not, I'll still be glad to send you the Pinetti if you give me an address to post to).

Cass

Stepanov

Postby Stepanov » April 21st, 2009, 10:49 am

All of yours, foreigners, so strange... :-))) All ask my home adress and send me papers. For me much more easy send to all on electronic mode... :-)))) Really two worlds... :-)))

If you know, old Russian not like modern Russian and for you will be not easy read old newspapers. But, there are modern book "Documents on history of aerostatic and aviation in USSR", 1956. Some of peoples made electronic version on djvu format. Do you want this file of 2,7 Mb? I can send it to you by e-mail. Just drop on me message on olegstepanov@mail.ru.

I still do not know, what edition you get? First or second with engraves?

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”