Roy Johnson still alive?

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Robert Stacher

Roy Johnson still alive?

Postby Robert Stacher » July 29th, 2008, 7:06 am

Hi,

does anybody know if UK's Roy Johnson is still alive? After searching the Internet, I was unable to find a biography of him...

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Robert

Dale Shrimpton

Re: Roy Johnson still alive?

Postby Dale Shrimpton » July 29th, 2008, 9:56 am

yes as far as i know Roy is still alive and well.

I will pm you his email adress.

D.

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » July 29th, 2008, 10:00 am

Dear Robert,

Yes, he is! Find him at the Leicester Magic Circle. See http://www.leicestermagiccircle.org (He's the big cheese there!)

Paul Gordon
Secure Online Magic Shop: https://www.paulgordon.net/shop

Allen Tipton

Postby Allen Tipton » July 30th, 2008, 5:33 am

Roy Johnson, whom I am honoured to call friend, was born in 1932. We share the same birth year and his first magic stuff in 1947(as did mine in 1943) came from the Paul Clive Magic Shops in Blackpool
He became a pro in 1953 performing close up, mental magic and stand up in cabaret. Began lecturing in the 1960's,in the UK,USA,Australia & Europe. He came out of semi retirement to lecture for me in the 1990's
I have never been over fond of Close Up Magic, having been reared in The Theatre BUT all of Roy's work is so subtle, effective, brilliantly routined with great methods and wonderful to perform. His work converted me.
Goodliffe published his first 4 books The Roy Johnson Experience(1970) Second Time Round(1971) Third Dimesnion(1977) Final Call(1979) He was perusuaded to write Silver Special(Magico Magazine published 1989)in 1982 to commemorate his Silver Wedding Anniversary.I think he told me it paid for a wonderful celebratory cruise.Martin Breese published his Pure Gold in 1988.
There are Lecture Notes, booklets as A World Of Clocks(1984)Feature Three(1980)one on cards, borrowed never returned so I cannot remember the title.There are tricks published in many magazine, 4 dvds, 3 audio tpaes and his work for Ken Brooke.For the envelope idea in Nemo Rising Cards I shall be eternally grateful
A gentle man & a gentleman. Roy is quiet, full of inner strength and so creative. One Of Magic's Truly Greats.
Allen Tipton UK

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » July 30th, 2008, 6:43 am

I own, and use two of roys items.

the wamboozle box, and the lightning switch pad,( you can do an add a number and switch the paper with it facing the audience!)

are two pieces of magic showing briliant thinking.

Robert Stacher

Postby Robert Stacher » July 30th, 2008, 9:02 am

Many thanks to all for your responses! I saw him live in 1989 in Austria and still remember his magic after all this years. His magic is wonderfully commercial and his routines are workers.

@Allen: Thanks for the extensive biography! I didn't know about his DVDs... do you know where to buy them?

Best regards,
Robert

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » August 10th, 2008, 4:33 am

While at the IBM-SAM convention in Louisville this summer, I purchased a set of Paul Fox cups from Wayne Dobson. Roy Johnson had used these cups for many years, then he gave them to Wayne. Wayne told me that Roy was one of his mentors. These cups are now a part of the Cups and Balls Museum collection and may be seen on the Cups of the Greats page.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Jerry Harrell

Postby Jerry Harrell » August 12th, 2008, 1:21 pm

Bill, could you give us the link for that page please?

Thanks.

Allen Tipton

Postby Allen Tipton » September 1st, 2008, 5:07 am

Hello Robert. Monday 31 August 10:05 am UK
Only just seen your note re Roy's dvds.

Am trying to trace if they are still put out.

I THINK they were originally on sale at International Magic, London. ( Ron Mc Millanls place) I have a professional magician/dealer friend who had the videos for his personal use(and probably still has them) but he may be working away this next 2 weeks.

All else failing I'll ring Roy and ask.

Allen Tipton UK

Allen Tipton

Postby Allen Tipton » September 6th, 2008, 2:22 pm

Robert. Not had the time to trace Roy's videos or dvds BUT I shall be seeing him , a week on Sunday ( 14th. September) and will ask him direct.

Allen Tipton UK

Allen Tipton

Postby Allen Tipton » September 16th, 2008, 6:11 am

Robert. I spoke briefly to Roy on Sunday( 14th. Sept.) at our Magic & Illusion Show. He was looking very well indeed. Briefly because i could not spot him in the interval & caught him just at the end when her was returning to his seat with his wife.
There are no general dvds of his work;only specific tricks as Supa Rings. There are Audio Tapes numbers 1 to 4.He suggested we talk later but I had to rush home as it was my Wife's Birthday weekend & I was allowed to 'sneak' out for a couple of hours to see the Guild's Magic Show.
I have noticed that Micky Hades has several copies of 3 of the Audio Tapes for sale at $13:50 each. Check
mickyhades@shaw.ca
I think they may have been put out by Martin Breese International.
Allen Tipton UK

Allen Tipton

Postby Allen Tipton » November 22nd, 2008, 9:06 am

Roy must be being sought out again. I have had to e mail 3 magicians his address, in the last 2 weeks so they can, if available, buy his Lucky Cards; a great Close Up trick.

A Bit Of Luck: At the end of October I was selling stuff at our Magic Club's Table Top Sale, and during a break, an old friend said, 'Are you looking for anything in particular?'
I said I wouldn't mind finding some Roy Johnson to add to my collection. He went over to his table, returned & said "Here have this on me".

It was a three and half hour video of Roy lecturing in Germany in the early 80's.!!! Wow.

I also added RJ's American Lecture Notes to my store

Allen Tipton
UK

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » November 22nd, 2008, 6:04 pm

Speaking of Roy Johnson, I've always wondered why he has a routine named "Expansion of Texture" in his book THE ROY JOHNSON EXPERIENCE when there were already two or three coin routines already published with that title.

I did enjoy the book and Mr. Johnson's sense of humor...just wondered about that trick and its coincidental title.

Thanks,

Steve H

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » November 23rd, 2008, 1:59 am

What I don't understand is why the original routines used the title. What does the penetration of a selected coin through a silk have to do with texture expanding?

BTW if you know Al Schneider's Osmosis, the most beautiful trick of the last five years at least and which was published in Genii, try this:

Hold a half and an English Penny in your left hand. Have a C/S palmed in your right.

Cover the left hand coins with the translucent silk.

Now the spectator can name either coin and using Al's handling you can immediately pluck the named coin through the silk, then drop it on the table. All can be examined. You can also make the named coin penetrate, then follow up with the other coin immediately penetrating as well.

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » November 23rd, 2008, 7:26 am

Pete McCabe wrote:What I don't understand is why the original routines used the title. What does the penetration of a selected coin through a silk have to do with texture expanding?

That's how the coins get through the handkerchief. Check out the patter line from "The Art of Magic":

Ladies and gentlemen, having passed one coin into the handkerchief, I shall attempt a still more difficult feat. I shall remove the two coins one at a time, and you will observe with what delicacy the handkerchief will close its textures after the pieces have passed.

Keep in mind the definition of texture, from www.m-w.com:

1 a: something composed of closely interwoven elements ; specifically : a woven cloth b: the structure formed by the threads of a fabric

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 23rd, 2008, 3:32 pm

Well dang if you don't learn something new every day around here.

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » November 24th, 2008, 10:37 am

I do what I can, Dustin.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 24th, 2008, 10:49 am

These days it would be specially engineered microorganisms which can transport metal across cell walls - or in this case mere cloth?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

UBIK

Postby UBIK » January 8th, 2009, 2:47 pm

Ive been meaning to read the Roy Johnson books for years due to good word of mouth but always got sidetracked from doing so. Nevertheless, this very thread refreshed my memory and so I spent Christmas reading four of his books and now have two more winging their way to me (all are now out of print).

Im extremely impressed with the great material inside. Strong, direct magic and mentalism for stage and close-up and I could kick myself for not picking these up much sooner.

Still, better late than never. Thank you Mr Johnson!

Allen Tipton

Postby Allen Tipton » April 29th, 2009, 7:49 am

UBIK, I am so glad you relooked at RJ's work. The beauty of ALL of his routines is , they were all tested in real world performances, by him.
And with his reputation as a performer, you just know they all will work.
Simplicity of plot; simplicity and often very original in method,extremely well routined, great for entertainment. You cannot go wrong.

Again I am in luck. Just found another of his Lecture Note booklets; copyright: Magic Inc 1970

Allen Tipton UK

JohnsonJnr
Favorite Magician: Roy Johnson

Postby JohnsonJnr » July 28th, 2015, 5:31 pm

Hi all

It has been great to read all your positive comments about Roy and his various works.

Roy is my Grandfather and unfortunately he had a severe stroke last year that has left him bed bound and unable to speak.

Do any of you have any of his work available in digital format that you may be able to share with me?

If any of you have any messages that you would like me to relay to Roy and his wife please leave them here and I will ensure that they are passed on.

Many thanks,
Bradley Johnson

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » July 28th, 2015, 7:07 pm

JohnsonJnr wrote:Do any of you have any of his work available in digital format that you may be able to share with me?

You can find some here: http://www.lybrary.com/roy-johnson-m-5659.html and here http://askalexander.org/search/@author+roy+johnson+/
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » December 2nd, 2015, 11:53 am

Does anyone know if the German lecture video that Allen Tipton referred to was available commercially? I would love to find a copy of that.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » March 19th, 2016, 9:36 am

Roy's wife Janet passed away on the 6th March, 2016 and her funeral was yesterday, 18th March.

If you were to describe your ideal aunt or grandmother, you would be describing Janet.

Roy is still unable to communicate properly after suffering a major stroke sixteen months ago.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”