T Nelson Downs

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Dr. Mitch Magic

T Nelson Downs

Postby Dr. Mitch Magic » May 19th, 2008, 6:46 pm

A friend and I were recently browsing through "Modern Coin Manipulation" and we noticed the photographs of Nelson Downs' hands....he finger nails are very long, almost womanly, and appear to be colored. Does anyone know if he painted his nails colors and why they were kept so long. We especially noted the nail of his little finger which was excessively long. (In the 1980's this was commonly used by Cocaine addicts). Does anyone know if Downs had a history of drug use ? OR, are the long fingernails usefull in some of the manipulations, because we also noted that in one of the photos it appears as if the coin is back clipped with the assistance of the nail.

We're very curious and looking for some answers.

Thanks !
Fraternally yours in magic,

Dr. Mitch

JimAlfredson

Re: T Nelson Downs

Postby JimAlfredson » May 20th, 2008, 10:54 am

Dr. Mitch; Hopefully, you'll get a more cogent answer from a 'coin man,' but I once knew an old coot, L. L. (not S.S.) Henry by name. 'Henry,' as we used to call him, sported the same long fingernails. He did the Downs 'coin star' and claimed that the long digit protectors were necessary for doing it properly. Take this for what it's worth. Cheers! -jim

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 20th, 2008, 12:14 pm

Yeah, those pictures pretty much stopped me from even thinking about doing the bit where you pretend to use your pinkynail to make an incision in the back of your hand for a coin penetration. CRINGE.

While an egoist, as far as I know the guy was not an early cokehead or so fashion forward as to be coloring his nails.

Reports of his performances don't suggest he was backpalming all that many coins either.
Last edited by Jonathan Townsend on May 20th, 2008, 12:15 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: tact or taste

Stepanov

Postby Stepanov » May 22nd, 2008, 1:29 pm

On Russia card cheaters has long pinkey nail. When I show picture of Nelson Downs on Russian Forum one my friend fastly recognise this sign. His responce was "I did not know that Downs was card sharper".

Some years ago I ask Americans is card sharpers in USA use this sign. Nobody know. But in Russia it was historical sign (100 years ago). Modern card sharpers not use it. We know it from old books and movies.

Glenn Godsey

Postby Glenn Godsey » May 22nd, 2008, 2:00 pm

Sometime back around 1980, I sat next to Alan Ackerman at a session and he had extremely long fingernails. In the times I have seen him since, his nails have been much shorter. I didn't ask him at the time, but I imagine that he had grown long nails for a specific sleight he was working on.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » May 22nd, 2008, 3:22 pm

Keeping in mind Downs' penchant for self-promotion, and the emphasis he placed on photos of his hands, I've guessed that the long pinky nail was a very clever bit of "branding".

Considering the other "kings and queens of coins" who popped up during Downs' career, it would have been a great asset for his hands to be recognizeable at a glance. According to traditional wisdom (you know, that thing we relied upon before wikipedia) the long nail was an affectation meant to convey the idea that one was so successful, he didn't have to work. That's an image Downs could certainly get behind.

Bob Gerdes

Postby Bob Gerdes » May 22nd, 2008, 4:22 pm

I found a page that lists some possibilities for the extra-long pinky nail on some people. It also notes the traditional wisdom Curtis mentioned.

But one item jumped out at me:

"The longer nail also works well when trying to pick up something lying flat on a table, like a coin."

Here's the link:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/060428.html

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 22nd, 2008, 8:26 pm

That the same place which lists Houdini as a sex prank/abuse technique?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Bob Gerdes

Postby Bob Gerdes » May 23rd, 2008, 10:59 am

Jonathan Townsend wrote:That the same place which lists Houdini as a sex prank/abuse technique?

WTF?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 23rd, 2008, 11:56 am

Some of the nail references looked about like what can be found in the urban dictionary online - hence the question.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Brandon Hall

Postby Brandon Hall » May 23rd, 2008, 3:55 pm

I think I recall seeing Steve Dacri with very long, albeit well manicured nails as well. I was curious as to his reasoning.
"Hope I Die Before I Get Old"
P. Townshend

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 23rd, 2008, 4:42 pm

Glenn Godsey wrote:Sometime back around 1980, I sat next to Alan Ackerman at a session and he had extremely long fingernails. In the times I have seen him since, his nails have been much shorter. I didn't ask him at the time, but I imagine that he had grown long nails for a specific sleight he was working on.

Maybe he wanted a couple more inches of drop on his curve ball.

(Sorry--can't help myself when it's baseball season.)

Dustin

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”