Ken Brookes Spotty Dots

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Ken Brookes Spotty Dots

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 8:02 pm

Am I the only one who loves this trick? How come Stevens House of Magic does not have it? How come no one else did a thread on it?

Re: Ken Brookes Spotty Dots

Postby Guest » November 30th, 2006, 10:24 pm

It is my favourite trick. At least I think it is. I do a trick of that name anyway. However I didn't realise it had anything to do with Ken Brooke. Do you use two little paddle sticks one of which has a spot on one side and blank the other and the other with one spot on one side and two on the other?

I think it is an item of Max Andrews. It is a wonderful trick and I know of none better.

Postby Guest » December 1st, 2006, 12:50 am

I bought this from Ken back in the 70s. It was a great routine (everything from Ken was "worker" material), but I really hated the props supplied: crudely cut plastic with adhesive paper dots applied.

In the years since, I've seen similar routines advertised made up as dominoes. I've heard that the Marcelo Contento dominoes were especially nice, but haven't seen them personally.

I realize these other sets don't include the large "plaque" in the KB routine, but am curious to know if you have found any of the other domino props to work with the initial phases of the KB routine.

Thanks...

(Also: I'm not sure, and I don't have the trick anywhere near at hand to check, but wasn't it called Dotty Spots, rather than Spotty Dots?)

Postby Guest » December 1st, 2006, 2:45 am

If memory serves, the spotted paddle trick was "Dotty Spots" and the Ken Brooke item with the black dominoes was "Spotty Dots", although I also seem to remember that the title in the catalogue advert was not the same as the title in the instructions - one said "Spotty Dots" and the other said "Dotty Spots" (obviously a plot to confuse us).

Postby Guest » December 1st, 2006, 4:29 am

Ah! It seems that the "Dotty Spots" I do is not the same as the "Spotty Dots" a la Ken Brooke.

However I still stand by my original statement. This trick is one of the greatest little tricks there is and gets a terrific reaction from laymen even though it is sometimes thought of as just a novelty for beginners. The price is right too. Around $5 from your local magic shop.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » December 1st, 2006, 9:19 am

The Marcello Contento props are made from real dominoes and look perfect. If you can get a set, besides the Brooke routine, there are several other routines of interest.

Postby Guest » December 1st, 2006, 9:55 am

FWIW: I just did a quick search and found the Marcello Contento routine on Hank Lee\'s website listed as "Crazy Dominoes."

Postby Guest » December 1st, 2006, 3:47 pm

Mr. Henry,
I did some checking and the trick with the little white paddles was called "Spot the Spots". It appears under that name in an old Max Andrews catalogue I happen to have (1956), though it's not inconceivable that some other dealer may have called it "Dotty Spots". As to the reaction it gets, I do remember it going over really well when I did it with a very basic presentation as a kid.

Postby Guest » December 1st, 2006, 5:05 pm

Yes indeed. I actually have an old packet and lo and behold the title on the envelope is indeed "Spot the Spots" However for some reason it passed into the vernacular as "Dotty Spots" when in conversation with magicians of my youth.

It really is a superb item for laymen and nearly every day of my life for the last 45 years or so I have carried it in my left trouser pocket for impromptu use.

I would even say that it has garnered me more bookings that any other trick.

I remember doing it to laymen in the presence of a very excellent sleight of hand magician who was astonished at the reaction I garnered from it. He told me afterwards "and I thought it was just a novelty item for beginners and never thought much of it until now"

To me it is the best paddle trick of all even surpassing the colour changing knives. Again $5 from your local magic or joke shop.

Actually I knew a guy who ultimately became a millionaire from this one trick. He wasn't a magician-he just sold the item to the public at large. He made them out of balsa wood and had an interesting presentation based on the old nursery rhyme of "two little dicky birds sitting on a wall-one name Peter and one named Paul"

His name was Manny Rosenberg and this little trick started his business empire off where he eventually sold other non magic products and became very wealthy indeed.

Postby Guest » December 1st, 2006, 5:10 pm

It has dawned upon me that there is a version of the "Dotty Spots" done with giant paddles in the Edward Victor book published by Mr Kaufmann.

I do believe mention is made of Max Andrews.

I don't think there is any reason that the routine cannot be performed with the smaller paddles although I haven't checked it thoroughly.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 1st, 2006, 9:41 pm

Anyone else think Mr. Henry is actually Mark Lewis?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 1st, 2006, 9:46 pm

I have no doubt about it.

performer

Postby performer » April 21st, 2017, 3:18 am

Neither have I and it is STILL my favourite trick!

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » April 21st, 2017, 10:48 am

Here's a clip of Terry Herbert performing a different paddle trick, sold by Ken Brooke. As a teenager Terry Herbert learnt from legendary magic dealer Ken Brooke a great close-up trick by R.M. Jamison, the Spot Sticks. At the time Terry was so influenced by Ken's presentation, he still performs it in Ken's style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wr1VPY ... e=youtu.be

I believe the original question pertains to Dotty Spots as sold by Ken Brooke, which was four perspex dominoes, two red and two yellow which changed places between your hand and the spectator's.

performer

Postby performer » April 21st, 2017, 11:05 am

Terry is a brilliant children's entertainer and I even remember him doing the cups and balls (of all things) on British television about a thousand years ago or so. His spot routine is a very good one but I wish he would dump that awful Yorkshire accent!

Here I am doing the Dotty Spots at 5.48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPdPafoDhSg

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » April 22nd, 2017, 1:52 am

I really like Performer's Dotty Spots routine - very entertaining!

performer

Postby performer » April 22nd, 2017, 5:28 am

MagicbyAlfred wrote:I really like Performer's Dotty Spots routine - very entertaining!

Thank you. I have been doing it a long, long time......................

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”