Gibeciere Winter 2007

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Gibeciere Winter 2007

Postby Guest » April 3rd, 2007, 8:46 am

Thanks to a timely renewal of my Conjuring Arts Research Center membership, I just got the third issue of Gibeciere (Winter 2007) via priority mail yesterday. It is up to the very high standard set by the first two issues. Volker Huber's article on "The Educated Swan," translated from the recent German anthology RARE KUENSTE opens the issue. This is followed by Mitsunobu Matsuyama's continuing investigations on magic in Japan following the opening of that country to the west, this article detailing the Itchosai Dynasty (a bookmark showing the family members' details and relations is included for easy reference!). Top Italian professional Aurelio Paviato (tied with Ammar for first place in close up at FISM in 1982) offers detailed notes on the cheating references in Aretino's 1543 Le Carte Parlanti. Finally there is a fascinating article by Peter Braeuning on a previously unknown magical member of the Bamberg family, Abraham Bamberg. This is the only article I have fully digested and it is an incredible piece of research, using obscure primary sources (often police and court records) to track the peregrinations of a wandering Jewish conjurer in anti-semitic Prussia in the 1820s. Really amazing!
Thanks to the contributors, editor Stephen Minch and the Conjuring Arts Research Center for elevating the scholarly discourse on our art! In my opinion, this publication alone is worth far more than the annual membership dues. The added benefit of access to the Alexander database make membership a real bargain for anyone interested in magic's history. More info available at www.gibeciere.com

Re: Gibeciere Winter 2007

Postby Guest » April 3rd, 2007, 3:53 pm

Just another vote for membership in the Conjuring Arts Research Center. I concur with Richard, Gibecire is wonderful, as is the access (depending upon your membership level) to treasured volumes from the past.

Greg Edmonds

Postby Guest » April 3rd, 2007, 4:32 pm

Thanks to the contributors, editor Stephen Minch and the Conjuring Arts Research Center for elevating the scholarly discourse on our art!
I'll second that!

Clay

Postby Guest » April 4th, 2007, 4:57 pm

It's worth every penny!

Tom Klem

Postby Tom Klem » April 5th, 2007, 5:16 am

I agree with Bill it is a wonderful thing

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2007, 6:23 am

And Alexander waits to answer my questions. What more could one ask?
If you do not belong you are missing so much.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » April 5th, 2007, 6:29 am

Dang...I need to renew. I keep forgetting to send in my check!

-Jim

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”