A new word association game

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Re: A new word association game

Postby Guest » May 3rd, 2006, 5:56 am

The Michael Weber story is great! Got any more?

Oh and by the way:

Paul Harris is ______.

That would be a hard one to answer

Postby Guest » May 3rd, 2006, 9:25 am

Try this......

Edwin Dawes / John Mulholland

Postby Guest » May 5th, 2006, 6:50 am

I think Eddie Dawes is today's version of Kurt Volkmann
Juan Tamariz fills the Dai Vernon position well
and
Paul Harris might be a new Charles T. Jordan

Postby Guest » May 7th, 2006, 7:09 pm

Here are a few attempts.

Based on his ultimately-winning personality Daryl may be (according to what I have read) the Paul Rossini of his generation: impeccable technique, effecting stunningly amazing tricks...As well they seem to share that "It" factor--a charisma that can't be described but which is wonderfully obvious when you're there to see it.

Not having ever seen these artists, here is a pure guess: Derren Brown is the Dunninger of his generation, or would the Anneman of his generation be more in the ball-park?

Paul Harris is the Magic-Dharma-Bum of his generation. (Check the folowing references: "The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac, the film "The Big Lebowski", and the three-volumes of "The Art of Astonishment"...)

Based on clever creativityand humorous performance, could it be said Jay Sankey is the Al Baker of his generation?

Now, here's a variation on the theme:

Jason Randal is the Neil Diamond of magic (just go to Jason Randal dot com and tell me I'm wrong); Bill Kalush (based on his appearance in "The Secret Sessions" video) could be considered the Andy Garcia of magic, and I won't push it any further...

Postby Guest » May 8th, 2006, 1:26 pm

Todd Lassen is the Connie Haden of his generation.

Postby Guest » May 9th, 2006, 12:56 am

I sure would like to get a set of Todd Lassen cups or a Todd Lassen nailwriter.

Postby Guest » May 22nd, 2006, 11:14 pm

Originally posted by WKalush:
I think Eddie Dawes is today's version of Kurt Volkmann...
Alas, only Das Becherspiel (sp?) has been translated into English (excluding the Volkmann/Tummers bib). Which reminds me: Mssrs. Hatch and Palmer, any chance of translating Volkmann's history of magic published serially in a German magic magazine?

Clay

Postby Guest » May 23rd, 2006, 8:06 am

Originally posted by Magicam:
Originally posted by WKalush:
[b] I think Eddie Dawes is today's version of Kurt Volkmann...
Alas, only Das Becherspiel (sp?) has been translated into English (excluding the Volkmann/Tummers bib). Which reminds me: Mssrs. Hatch and Palmer, any chance of translating Volkmann's history of magic published serially in a German magic magazine?

Clay [/b]
The Conjuring Arts Research Center is already actively engaged in translating Volkmann's History.

Postby Guest » May 24th, 2006, 10:33 am

Thanks, Dick.

That may explain why Bill K. sees a connection between Volkmann's and Dawes' work. Adrion once told me that he thought Volkmann's work was good, but other than that input, I've no clue about the quality of Volkmann's research and writing.

Clay

Postby Guest » May 25th, 2006, 1:15 pm

I got one for ya:
Even though they aren't performing together anymore
Kalin, Jinger, Hobson/LeRoy, Talma, Bosco

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”