ThrowingCard.com debut

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Gary Brown

ThrowingCard.com debut

Postby Gary Brown » December 31st, 2005, 11:28 am

I've just put together a web site devoted to throwing cards and displaying some of those items I've been lucky enough to acquire over the years. The site can be found at:

www.throwingcard.com

Before I invite the search engines to come look around, I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd stop by and provide me with any feedback, corrections, ideas, comments, etc. Feel free to post comments here or to email them to me. Thanks.

Happy New Year to all.

Gary
Gary Brown

Todd Karr

Re: ThrowingCard.com debut

Postby Todd Karr » December 31st, 2005, 11:55 am

Hi, Gary. The site looks great, but I'm wondering: how does one distinguish between throw-out cards magicians have used to scale into the audience and plain-old business cards printed on playing cards or cards from personalized decks?

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » December 31st, 2005, 1:04 pm

Nice stuff, Gary.

FYI: Harry Stork was born on April 9, 1863 and died on March 2, 1907.

-Jim

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » December 31st, 2005, 1:08 pm

GEE! I even know Harry was sick! :o
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » December 31st, 2005, 1:23 pm

Gary,

Very nice. You sure did a great job. On some of the images, the borders are cut off. I run into the same problem when scanning cards, etc. for Ebay. You can use a color background card to avoid the cut off. I use 4 quarters myself. I place them at the corners of the item and then resize the scan.

If you have Houdini cards, cigarette, playing etc., please let me know. I collect these to keep me out the pool hall.

Good Luck,
Kevin
Please visit my website.

http://houdinihimself.com/

I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Gary Brown

Postby Gary Brown » January 1st, 2006, 11:13 pm

Thanks for the comments. I'm particularly indebted to Jim for the birth and death dates for Harry Stork -- couldn't find those anywhere. I'm hoping that folks out there can point me to similar information about some of the relatively obscure magicians depicted on some of the cards displayed on the site. Take Ned Frailey for example. He's got a great throwout card, sponsored by Bicycle, yet I can't find a single mention of him anyplace. Which brings me to another question -- what was the deal with Bicycle? There's one site I came across for playing card collectors that suggests that Bicycle printed such cards for free -- very possible, but I'd love to know the answer.

Todd raises another good point -- how exactly to define throwing/throwout card. I struggled with this somewhat in putting together the site. I decided to include both throwing/throwout/scaling cards (intended to be tossed) and souvenir cards -- which were handed out -- but stayed away from traditional business cards. It's difficult to make the distinction. Some cards were tossed -- like Thurston's -- and were printed on thick cardboard. Yet other skilled card scalers, including Herrmann, Ricky Jay and Jeff McBride, used standard playing cards in their scaling demonstrations. Thus, the only way to know for sure if magicians threw their cards -- I would think -- would be from observations of their acts. For the purposes of the site, I limited the displays to items printed on playing card stock and thicker throwing card stock. I kept away from anything that appeared to be simply a business card in the common sense. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has other thoughts on the subject.

Gary
Gary Brown

Postby Guest » January 2nd, 2006, 8:08 am

Hi Gary:

Great site! I've collected these things for many years, when I've been able to find them. Like yourself, I tend to consider 'a card, a card,' and though we all rejoice in the old, heavy ones, I've always saved them all; in spite of the fact that very few actually scaled them. Look forward to future development of the site.

-jim alfredson

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 3rd, 2006, 10:50 am

One of your cards is for Earll Muddiman. According to an obit in the Bristol, PA _Bucks County Courier_, dated 7-23-1970, Muddiman died on 7-22 of that year at age 70. He was originally from Washington DC, and died in Cherry Hill Township, NJ. He was survived by his wife and sister, but no kids are mentioned.

Also, "Dell O'Dell's Magic Party" was on Friday Nights, 7 pm on KECA in Los Angeles. It started July 13, 1951.

Gary Brown

Postby Gary Brown » February 13th, 2017, 10:50 pm

I recognized that most of you on this nearly decade old thread know this, but for anyone who hasn't made their way yet, check out Propelled Pasteboards at throwingcard.blogspot.com. Thanks to my co-creators Tom Ewing and Gary Frank, and some tech upgrades by Google, it's got everything you could want about throwing cards and more!

Gary Brown
Gary Brown

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”