Magic Inventor

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Magic Inventor

Postby Guest » May 21st, 2007, 10:26 am

Does anyone know who came up with the classic trick "Double 'X'"? When I was a kid it was in every magic shop.

Re: Magic Inventor

Postby Guest » May 21st, 2007, 1:31 pm

David,
If you are talking about the effect that has One large deck and a smaller deck both with an "X" it is by Bob Jardin. Is this the effect you are refering too?

-Rick Castro :D

Postby Guest » May 21st, 2007, 7:45 pm

The Double X I remember is a double coin transposition. It's in Tannen's Catalog #10 (1973) but isn't in #6 (1966). No creator is attributed in the Tannen's writeups.

For some reason I always thought it was created by Sid Fleischman, but a review of Charlatan's Handbook shows no validation of my created memory.

I'll shut up now.

e

Postby Guest » May 21st, 2007, 8:26 pm

Yes, it's the trick with the penny gimmick and the "special" pen. Someone must know who created it!

Postby Guest » May 22nd, 2007, 4:21 am

If my memory serves me correctly, the original version of 'Double X' was published in an issue of "The Gen". The names of two Dutch magicians come to mind - Rink and Bob Driebeek.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 22nd, 2007, 8:59 am

I got mine from Tannen's before I boycotted them over the ripoff situation with Ken Brooke. Mine wasn't a pen, but a pencil.

As I recall that was an improved version. The original used wax instead of a magnet.

You might want to look in the "Dime and Penny" book published by Lloyd E. Jones.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » May 22nd, 2007, 9:39 am

"I got mine from Tannen's before I boycotted them over the ripoff situation with Ken Brooke."

I thought they were the official distributor for the North American market.

P.S. I do not know why the "quote" option no longer shows up for me.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » May 22nd, 2007, 12:51 pm

See The Gen, Vol. 17, N 1, may 1961, page 15, Transpo Coins by Rink.

He used a special wand with a strong magnet at each end.

Postby Guest » May 22nd, 2007, 1:28 pm

Pete Biro wrote:
I got mine from Tannen's before I boycotted them over the ripoff situation with Ken Brooke.
to which pierredan replied:

I thought they were the official distributor for the North American market.
I hope you are kidding. This was a real sore point with Ken. Tannen's had this opinion that if a customer asked for something and Tannen's couldn't get it from the authorized maker, they would make it themselves.

This sometimes went to the extend of photocopied instructions with name changes overlaid.

P.S. I do not know why the "quote" option no longer shows up for me.
It doesn't show up for anyone. You need to do it manually.

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » May 22nd, 2007, 2:39 pm

I have what I believe to be the original. I purchased it as a kid back in the mid 70's. The cover of the box labels it as a "P. Cinimod Release," and states that it comes with "illustrated instructions by Dom Paolino."

Postby Guest » May 23rd, 2007, 6:26 pm

Ohh... My mistake. I confused Tannen's with Steven's. Next time I think I should do an internet search before posting a question like that.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”