Ken Brooke

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Re: Ken Brooke

Postby Guest » October 13th, 2005, 8:36 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Aha... you remember, their office was one flight up from "The Magic Place" and we shared the Loo.
Or as we say in America the toilet. No biddey in there.

Postby Guest » October 16th, 2005, 6:38 pm

Originally posted by Max Maven:
The Soho shop opened in late 1966.
The same year Cream played in London and Jimi Hendrix arrived

Postby Guest » October 16th, 2005, 6:49 pm

Quentin Reynolds mentioned that Ken Brooke and Edwin from Supreme were some of the great salesmen he has met. They were very different. Ken was very serious and committed and a major character. Edwin to me was very friendly but wanted to be a major magic producer and factory owner. Edwins company produced magic. At the Supreme Convention I went to in Bideford Devon..he had Billy McComb and Lewis Ganson and he gave a great tour of the Supreme Factory for us. The factory was interesting for a 15 year old kid like me and I learned alot.

But the highlight of my trip to Devon was Billy McComb. I had heard about him but his lecture and his performances at the hotel were amazing. A real character - the accent was one thing but his hair, his attitude and his original delivery was the kicker.

Postby Guest » October 17th, 2005, 2:03 am

Originally posted by scott forman:
what did you want to correct?
Just the spelling of that brand/name.. :)

Postby Guest » October 27th, 2005, 8:44 pm

Sorry to change the subject but did anyone here ever go to Jack Hughes's magic shop? Or was he just a custom only builder?

What about the guy up in Blackpool that made metal magic...like Cups and Balls and Illusions I forget his name?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 27th, 2005, 10:59 pm

Was it Yimka?
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » October 28th, 2005, 5:21 pm

Nope I dont know Yimka.

Paul somebody maybe.....

Postby Guest » November 13th, 2005, 7:30 pm

his first name was paul

Postby Guest » August 24th, 2006, 6:28 pm

Another Ken Brooke humour bit with the Malini Egg Bag...Ken taught me the finish with the scarve and I remember during the routine he told me to bring up a man and a woman from the audience to hold the bag on both sides of my body. After going through the examination of the bag, and opening your jacket for her, you ask "what do you see?" and then you say "what do you mean not much?"

It works

Postby Guest » August 24th, 2006, 11:14 pm

Originally posted by scott forman:

What about the guy up in Blackpool that made metal magic...like Cups and Balls and Illusions I forget his name?
Would that be Peter Diamond of Preston (which is close to Blackpool)? If so, Peter's business is still going. You would know if you ever came across his stand at a convention as he always has one or two scantily clad showgirls to pass out his brochures.

Postby Guest » August 25th, 2006, 6:19 am

I remember Ken helping me buy (for a shilling) a trick (Think A Drink) when I was about 8 years old! KIND man.

I then remember him buying some magic wallets from a USA demmer/dealer (who couldn't dem for toffee) at an IBM convention back in 1978 ish. The dealer just couldn't sell 'em. Ken bought 50 sets, added a great routine, and sold them ALL in one AMAZING pitch/dem.

WOW!

Paul Gordon

Postby Guest » August 25th, 2006, 7:20 am

Ref; Edwin and Supreme Magic in Devon U.K.They had a catch phrase which will still throw a chill into the heart of the older Magicians out there,no matter what they sold you they would say 90% of the time "Packs flat in the case!!!!"
Great Memories!! :)

Postby Guest » September 15th, 2006, 7:21 pm

Yes I thought his name was Paul Diamond. Always with the girls...smart guy Id say.

Postby Guest » September 15th, 2006, 7:25 pm

Today on Long Island I had to watch a presentation by a guy who looked just like Ken did around 1975, he was overweight and I kept drifting off thinking about Ken...kinda weird..

John McDonald

Postby John McDonald » January 31st, 2008, 1:06 pm

Ok, posted here because I love Ken Brooke and this video shows Paul Daniels on TOP FORM!! Classic.

Click on the link below for an absolute hoot!!!

Paul Daniel\'s performing Ken Brooke\'s Nemo Rising Cards
Best John

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » July 6th, 2014, 4:28 pm

Ken Brooke on stage. Interesting footage but does not give the effect that Ken had on an audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLpiKU1aOow

Early on you will see Ken do his funny walk with pulling up the sleeves. I saw him do the full routine of this gag at a lecture he gave in Dublin when I was 18. It was hilarious. Paul Daniels performs the Saucer on the Head trick on his Bravura DVD set, with full instructions and gags. I'm assuming he learnt it from Ken

Pat Page, doing the commentary says that Ken used do an excellent Linking Ring routine and an excellent Cups and Balls routine and after Vernon came to England in 1955 he switched to Vernon's routines. Pat feels that Ken's routines were better and more suited to him.

This is an interesting point as Neville Wiltshire from Dublin who also saw Vernon when he came to Ireland in the 50's felt that Vernon was a negative influence in that he created such a stir that everyone dropped their versions of tricks and switched to Vernon's handlings. Thereby many brilliant and well worked in routines were lost. Seems Pat Page felt the same way, at least as far as Ken was concerned.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » January 18th, 2017, 5:16 pm

Paul Daniels talks about Ken Brooke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CitWWOqokTA

performer

Postby performer » January 18th, 2017, 7:02 pm

Ken Brooke was the greatest magic demonstrator of all time selling to magicians. Why? Because he started as an outdoor market grafter. You develop what I have always called "The Grafter's Edge". In other words you develop an advantage that other magicians don't have. And it is hard to explain exactly what that advantage is. Perhaps a cynical outlook, a knowledge of people, a street wise attitude but that is only part of it. Very hard to explain properly what it is and only a tiny, tiny, tiny few have it. Rare as it is I know it when I see it. Oddly enough Paul Daniels had a tiny bit of it himself.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”