Need Help, on the Egg Bag

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
C. Hampton
Favorite Magician: Tamariz, DaOrtiz, Coperfield

Need Help, on the Egg Bag

Postby C. Hampton » June 14th, 2003, 5:09 pm

Dear Genii friends,

I am preparing an articule on the egg bag for my spanish speakers readers and I would like to throw some history on it.

Being honest I have to admit that my knowledge on the origins of the egg bag are unexistant.

I was wondering if any of you guy can help, with history on the effect.

Thank you much in advance.

Carlos Hampton
Carlos Hampton
www.damainquieta.com/conferencias

Pete Biro

Re: Need Help, on the Egg Bag

Postby Pete Biro » June 14th, 2003, 5:46 pm

If you have the Tarbell Course, I beleive the "Tarbell Egg Bag" is detailed there.

In the 1950s Senor Mardo's wife, Lynn Castell, made beautiful versions of the bag with the pocket, thanks to the Royal Stewart Tartan design in the fabric, were literally invisible. (Cut along a seam of the design).

Mardo created a vanish "while the bag is inside out" and a production wherein you rolled the bag up and had a kid cluck like a chicken, and as you squeezed the rolled up bag, the egg appeared at the top.

Martin Lewis' "Mum" now makes these bags.

The Malini Egg bag (as it is called) was really created by Charlie Miller with Harry Riser and Persi Diaconis. Riser's wife, Margy, sewed the first bags.

Charlie's routine was best describe in the instructions from Ken Brooke's Magic Place, London, England. The detailed descriptions of the moves with drawings (from my sketches with Ken) by Sid Lorraine, made it a classic.

I beleive the origins of the trick were chinese with the eggs being produced from the large sleeves of the magician's robes.

The "Merry Companion" in the 18th Century showed a woodcut of a magician producing eggs (and a chicken) from a bag.

I believe Guy Fawkes was seen doing the same.

San Francico's Emile Clifton (deceased member of the famed Muskeegee Airmen in WWII) developed a routine with a golf ball and bag.

Glenn Haywood does Steve Shepherd's routine producing two glasses of whiskey at the finish.

Arnold Furst (and Tom Mullica) produced large glass of liquid (Lemonade with Arnold and Beer with Tom).

Several goofy bags have been marketed... one that when turned inside out becomes a cloth chicken.

Some with Netting allow a visible appearance of the eggs...

However, in my humble opinion, the Malini (Miller) bag is the best contemporary bag and currently used by folks like Johnny Thomson, Jay Marshall, John Carney, and others...

:genii:
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 14th, 2003, 5:47 pm

I believe Abbott's sells a routine where the bag is stuffed into your fist and changes to an egg, which can be broken to show it is a real egg. :p
Stay tooned.

C. Hampton
Favorite Magician: Tamariz, DaOrtiz, Coperfield

Postby C. Hampton » June 14th, 2003, 10:06 pm

Thanks Pete!!! :D

Anyone else????
Carlos Hampton

www.damainquieta.com/conferencias

Randy Sager

Postby Randy Sager » June 15th, 2003, 9:36 am

I don't realy have any history to add. but I just wanted to say I have a bag made by Lynn Castll. It is very nice. I met Lynn thru My Grand mother about 20 years ago.

As far as I know Lynn still lives in Las Vegas. I have not seen her for abput 8 years but she is a very wonderfull lady and full of magic history.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”