Research Experiences at Institutions

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
magicam

Research Experiences at Institutions

Postby magicam » November 17th, 2005, 6:15 pm

Dont know if this has been discussed here before, but another thread discussing some experiences of visitors to the SAM library in the New York Public Library got me wondering about the experiences of folks doing research in other institutions which have large conjuring holdings. Any really nice/productive experiences? Any really bad/unproductive episodes?

The very few times (and it was a long time ago) Ive done research in those kinds of institutions, my experiences were fairly positive. Then again, Im not suggesting that anyone donate their libraries to a public institution either!

Jim Maloney_dup1

Re: Research Experiences at Institutions

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » November 17th, 2005, 6:25 pm

I've done research in person at the NYPL -- only problem I had was that a folder which was supposed to contain clippings on Nate Leipzig actually had clippings related to Rozencrantz and Guildenstern in the 70's, I believe. I pointed out the error to them, and they made an effort to correct it while I was there, but they couldn't find the correct folder. I haven't gone back yet to see if it's been fixed.

Other places, I've only worked with via e-mail or snail mail. The Harry Ransom Center at the University of Texas as well as the State Library of Victoria in Australia both turned up useful items.

The University of Iowa has a large collection of material on the Keith Circuit. Unfortunately, I'm not able to go there in person to do the research I want, so I'd need to hire a research assistant to find the info for me, and I can't afford that at the moment. They did throw me a couple of tidbits, though -- interesting stuff.

-Jim

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”