Michael Skinner

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.
Anthony Brahams

Michael Skinner

Postby Anthony Brahams » March 30th, 2003, 8:52 am

In a topic, now closed, on Jan 23rd 2003, I think, I referred to the first lecture Mike gave which was in London. I have now found my notebook and see that the date was May 15th, 1974. It lasted four wonderful hours, not all explanations as we were happy both to see him perform and see items we had not seen before including much from Marlo.

I have notes both of methods and some of effects only. It was the first time we had seen Invisible Palm. I am not sure when the notes end: there is a Card on Ceiling I have noted as being in Magicana. My old Geniis are not acccessible so I'd be grateful if anyone could look up the magazine in the early 1970's to see whose C on C is in Magicana. Thanks.

I know my notes before C on C are from Mike. Afterward I am unsure of the next few which also include 5 Card Divination, Gypsy Switch (with variety of objects-4 coins, card) and a 3 Ring Routine.

I do have quite a lot of notes from Fred Kaps which makes me wonder whether the above are too, although I have usually marked them FK so maybe these are Mike's.
Anthony

Randy Sager

Re: Michael Skinner

Postby Randy Sager » March 30th, 2003, 9:26 am

I am not sure which issue of Genii Mike's C.On C. is in. But it can be found in his first book Intimate Magic.which was published by Busby.

I'm sure the three ring routine you have notes on is Mike's I am not sure about the other items tho.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » March 30th, 2003, 3:44 pm

Mike Skinner's Card on Ceiling appeared as "The Transfixed Card" in "issue number 50" of Charlie Miller's Magicana, which was in the January 1969 issue of Geniil

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 30th, 2003, 11:29 pm

To my knowledge, Skinner's three ring routine was basically Koran's marketed originally by Ken Brooke, now by Stevens magic.
Stay tooned.

Anthony Brahams

Postby Anthony Brahams » April 13th, 2003, 7:20 am

Computer and ISP problems mean this is a belated but sincere thanks for the information regarding my notes of Mike's first lecture, and also at Monte Carlo soon afterward. I am now able to realize, happily, that I have more notes than I had thought. Most, including the 3-ring routine, are not full details of the working but tips etc. I did note that the Five Card Divination was very effective, maybe not apparent when reading.
Anthony

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”