Info on Phil Herzog

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Info on Phil Herzog

Postby Guest » July 19th, 2007, 4:55 pm

Does anyone have any info on a west coast magician named Phil Herzog? For some reason the name sounds familiar.

Jeff

Re: Info on Phil Herzog

Postby Guest » July 19th, 2007, 8:35 pm

Phil was a professional "gambler". He was sometimes referred to in Tonio Giorgio's columns as "Phil H."
He was an avid magic book collector. Alas, he passed away last year. I understand that a Los Angeles book store purchased his collection...

Postby Guest » July 20th, 2007, 12:01 pm

Jeff.

A few years ago, I purchased from Mr Herzog, (thanks to the very wonderful Jim Patton), an original complete file of CARDISTE. Phil H sounded a colourful character, with whom I would have dearly loved to have sat down with and listened to all night.

It transpires that this file almost certainly belonged to Larry Jennings - complete with Larry's written notations. Within, I have a unique version of Future Gambler (Vol #13, pg 29).

It is treasured.

Peace,

Darren

Jim Patton
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon

Postby Jim Patton » July 20th, 2007, 1:48 pm

R.I.P., old friend...Phil was truly one of a kind and a real stand-up guy!
I have a notebook filled with his reminiscences, remonstrations and advice....He knew most of the major players of the hustling sub-culture on the west coast and was himself a card player who, though skilled in advantage play, preferred to "play on the belly" (and more often than not got the money...) His stories about these worthy gentlemen could fill a volume.... He was equally as skilled with dice and I never saw his "blanket roll" miss..He usually demonstrated this on a newspaper.
An Australian friend of mine once interviewed Phil via landline. This was done with an eye toward eventually publishing a book of experiences from real world hustlers....It may still be in the works.....
One of the last of the buffalos....and I miss him a lot.......

JP

Girlbookseller
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay

Postby Girlbookseller » December 19th, 2016, 12:29 am

Hello,

I was googling Phil Herzog's name since he was a friend of my uncles but mostly because I am currently selling some of his magic collection, including personal notes, etc... I am a bit intrigued by him and especially his extensive collection. I know he was an "amateur" magician, however, his collection is quite the opposite and I only have a part of it. I am currently selling some of this collection, along with my own on Magic, Gambling and Con. Please visit:

http://stores.ebay.com/weinsteinperezrarebooksandart/.

Best,
Rachel
Girlbookseller1@gmail.com
Last edited by Girlbookseller on December 19th, 2016, 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Girlbookseller
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay

Postby Girlbookseller » December 19th, 2016, 12:32 am

Hello,

I was googling Phil Herzog's name since he was a friend of my uncles but mostly because I am currently selling some of his magic collection, including personal notes, etc... I am a bit intrigued by him and especially his extensive collection. (I have 3 boxes full of early pamphlets) plus his books and notes. My father purchased it from my uncle whom Phil left his estate to. I know he was an "amateur" magician, however, his collection is quite the opposite. I am currently selling some of this collection, along with my own on Magic, Gambling and Con.

Please visit:

http://stores.ebay.com/weinsteinperezrarebooksandart/.

Best,
Rachel
Girlbookseller1@gmail.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 19th, 2016, 1:13 am

Hi Rachel, For what it's worth, I don't know about the values of the gambling books you're selling, but the magic books are way over current market values. My book Gaffed to the Hilt, for example, sells for about $500 when it turns up.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » December 19th, 2016, 1:44 am

Phil Herzog was a great customer of H & R Magic Books. He would purchase any new title on sleight-of-hand magic and magic with cards. He also liked limited editions. He would call once a month to go through a list of new titles and place his order. Always paid by postal money order, perhaps a vestige of his gambling background. I understand his apartment for filled with stacks of books. I'm guessing he was a "hoarder". He was really fun to talk to. I think Jeff Pierce disposed of much of his collection, is that right, Jeff?

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » December 21st, 2016, 6:36 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Hi Rachel, For what it's worth, I don't know about the values of the gambling books you're selling, but the magic books are way over current market values. My book Gaffed to the Hilt, for example, sells for about $500 when it turns up.

I was very happy with one item I purchased from Rachel's listing, it arrived today in great condition.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”