New Issue of Gibecière

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

New Issue of Gibecière

Postby Guest » October 22nd, 2007, 6:40 pm

I've just received the Summer 2007 number of Gibecire.

The focus of this issue is different than prior issues, in that it covers only one subject. This could be a hit or miss issue for some, but I'm happy to see the editors boldly go in-depth for the sake of conjuring history.

CHS

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: New Issue of Gibecière

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 22nd, 2007, 6:53 pm

They've hit one out of the ball park with this one! Hit or miss? I think not ... not for anyone who's interested in the history of conjuring.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

DrDanny

Postby DrDanny » October 22nd, 2007, 8:52 pm

Normally my interest in the history of our art goes no further back than 1900 or so, but I think this issue of Gib. is worth the price of the subscription.
I'd never even heard of that book, and to have a beautiful translation drop into my mailbox unexpected was a treat this afternoon.
I do wish they had included photos of the actual book (if it exists in physical form?). Actually, I'd like to smell it, but that's probably impossible. :-)
D

Postby Guest » October 22nd, 2007, 9:57 pm

Originally posted by DrDanny:
I do wish they had included photos of the actual book (if it exists in physical form?). Actually, I'd like to smell it ... :-)
D
Ah, a man who has a nose for old books! Me too.

Of course the book exists in physical form! That's how they got all those pictures on the left side of the issue! Perhaps you mean you would have liked to have seen a picture of the book's binding? For bibliographers, the binding qua binding isn't very important at all, although collectors often think differently about that.

Chances are great that when this book was printed, it had no binding, at least as we would think of it. Although possible, it is unlikely that the existing binding of the book is the same as the one originally put on the book (whenever that was done).

Postby Guest » October 23rd, 2007, 7:31 pm

This issue is definitely the best one they've put out. I could wait a long time before needing to read another two-part essay on a specific period in Japanese magic. A two-part essay on early American Colonial magic - that would be good.

Anyone wonder what Blaine's involvement is? (Beside money, presumably.)

///ark

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » October 23rd, 2007, 8:27 pm

Rumor has it the next issue will have a 'scratch and sniff' card as an insert.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » October 23rd, 2007, 8:50 pm

I hope it's a Dell O'Dell card. :o
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Postby Guest » October 24th, 2007, 9:46 am

Originally posted by Mark Wilden:
... A two-part essay on early American Colonial magic - that would be good...
Mark:

Depending on what you mean by "early American Colonial magic," in addition to coverage (albeit relatively sparse) in the general magic history texts (e.g., Christopher, Price), you should consult Charlie Pecors The Magician on the American Stage 1752-1877 (1977) and Susan McCoskers Representative Performances of Stage Magic, 1650-1900 (1982).

Clay

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » October 24th, 2007, 11:02 am

Got this on Monday and just started digging in today. It's great -- I'd definitely say it's another hit. But then, I have yet to be disappointed by an issue of Gibecire.

-Jim

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » October 24th, 2007, 2:04 pm

In reading the notes I was surprised to see that the image on page 28 had been digitally altered. I honestly would not have known if they hadn't pointed it out. My initial reaction was slight annoyance that they didn't keep the image 100% true to reality, and leave out the missing information. However, upon considering it further, since they're restoring it to how it most likely appeared prior to any trimming that occurred, I think it's fine.

And in case there are any geeks like me who care, here's what it appears they did:

There's two bits of text which needed to be added, along with some of the ornamentation. It appears that the decorative stuff was simply replaced from the lowermost block.

The text which needed to be added was "Affo di baft." and "Affo denari". From what I can tell, the "Affo" and "di" came from "Affo di. cop.", about halfway down in the left column. Next, "baft." was copied from "Dna baft." a bit further down in the left column. And finally, "5. denari", which is halfway down in the right column, was used to produce the "denari".

Thus ends my little nerd session.

-Jim

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 25th, 2007, 2:11 pm

I am just a bit more than halfway through this fantastic book, but I have to chime in. (Id be done by now, but Ive been distracted just lately.)

Its simply remarkable to me that, just halfway through, the number of base fundamentals in card magic reside in it. From the 21-Card Trick to Ultra Poker Mental is in there. Even the notion of gaming protection is in it, with exposs on marked cards, second dealing, shiners, and even strippers!

I hope my distractionsmostly self-imposedsubside some so I can finish this truly remarkable work.

Dustin

Postby Guest » October 25th, 2007, 3:15 pm

Just got this latest edition in the mail today in the UK. I agree with others' enthusiastic comments - another great issue. Looking forward to settling down with this over several evenings.

Postby Guest » November 2nd, 2007, 2:57 pm

Mark Wilden wrote, in part:
... A two-part essay on early American Colonial magic - that would be good...
Mark, there is also 16 pages' worth of wonderful information that Todd Karr extracted from newspapers of the day (from 1732 to 1783) to be found in Appendix 9 to The Miracle Factory edition of Sidney Clarke's The Annals of Conjuring.

C.

Postby Guest » November 4th, 2007, 4:40 pm

A paraphrased portion of what was posted by Mr. D. Stinett:
The number of base fundamentals in card magic that reside in this book is simply remarkable, from the 21-Card Trick to Ultra Poker Mental. Even the notion of gaming protection is there, with exposs on marked cards, second dealing, shiners, and even strippers!
Relevant to the discussion of why we should study magic history and magic's old literature.

Return to “Magic History and Anecdotes”