New App Issues

Discuss aspects of the new digital access to all back issues of Genii and anything therein.
Syd

New App Issues

Postby Syd » July 16th, 2014, 7:25 pm

My thoughts and problems with the new app

This is the iOS version.

Crashes constantly. I didn't experience this with last month's issue but this month's has crashed so frequently I just gave up. Not sure if it is an app issue or problem with the current issue but it's a problem. Resetting doesn't work. I have not tried deleting and reinstalling the app, I suppose that is next.

Turning pages. If you use the arrow buttons and miss them ever so slightly you are transferred into the text version. Relatively speaking the buttons are small. No, I don't have fat fingers. But I am constantly transferred into the text version. Incredibly annoying. Then the x button to get out of the text version has to be touched precisely which wouldn't be a big deal if I wasn't constantly forced into the text version. Am I the only one having this issue?

Now for the good. It loads much much much faster than the old version.
Syd

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: New App Issues

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 16th, 2014, 7:33 pm

I don't know that the new version of the iOS app has even come online yet.

However, I have downloaded the August issue onto my iPad and I'm not having any of the issues you mention.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 17th, 2014, 2:52 pm

The latest from our company handling our digital version: the app currently up there is not the latest version. Here is the update from them:

"The new version should be released in the next 3 to 7 business days, depending on when Apple approves it.
This update addresses user feedback that we've received, specifically
crashing issues and navigation responsiveness of the application.
- improved app stability: resolved crash issues reported in previous
versions
- improved responsiveness to tapping, scrolling and zooming
- improved focus and resolution speed"

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 17th, 2014, 4:59 pm

Any timeframe on the updated android app?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 17th, 2014, 5:25 pm

Chris, they've just given me (today) a link to a reworked version that I have to look at and give them feedback. No date for release yet. They seem to be thoroughly testing it with clients, then tweaking and resting it, before releasing.

John McDonald

Postby John McDonald » July 19th, 2014, 10:59 am

I download the new app yesterday. I enjoy the new look. What I like most about it it makes the most of the ipads zooming function. This is something which frustrated me in the past and is a comfort to my middle aged eyes. Thanks.
Best John

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 19th, 2014, 4:07 pm

We keep trying to improve every day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 21st, 2014, 6:34 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Chris, they've just given me (today) a link to a reworked version that I have to look at and give them feedback. No date for release yet. They seem to be thoroughly testing it with clients, then tweaking and resting it, before releasing.

I guess it's better they test and take their time. There's one (kinda odd) error that they might not have seen, but I'll have to take a screenshot of it when I get home tonight.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 21st, 2014, 7:53 pm

Today I tested yet another iteration of the iPad app which will show you exactly what issues you've downloaded.

Chris, please do sent me that screenshot--make sure you tell me exactly what issue and page number as well.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 22nd, 2014, 1:32 am

Not sure if this image link will work for you Richard, but check out how the user interface text overlaps itself on the bottom of the image.

This is due to the fact that Android allows the text size of the interface to be adjusted, mainly for those like me with aging eyes who can no longer easily read the tiny default sized default font.

There's plenty of room for the large text, but the app obviously doesn't know how to adjust for that.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Owjw ... -no/14+-+1

mrmagik68
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby mrmagik68 » July 22nd, 2014, 5:01 pm

Richard,
I just picked up a new Macbook today, I couldn't find the Genii app through iTunes on the new Macbook. Tried to view my Genii issues through the Safari browser and it's telling me I need Adobe. Are we able to see Genii mags with a Macbook or is it just via an iPad? Sorry, if this is a stupid question but I'm just getting the swing of all this. Thanks!

Roberto

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 22nd, 2014, 5:06 pm

The Genii app is in the App Store, not the iTunes store. Just enter "Genii" and you should find it with no problem.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » July 22nd, 2014, 5:29 pm

Here's an interesting wee caveat for Android users.

A few days ago I bought myself a new tablet (the rather spiffy Galaxy Tab S for those keeping score). As usual when setting up a new device I logged into the Play store and went to the My Apps list to quickly install the basic things needed to survive in the wild.

I found the Genii app in the list, and installed it. When I opened it, I got the yellow splash screen, and then a loading pop up, labelled NiN and the app froze, doing nothing. I killed the process a few times, and then left it.

A day or two later I searched the Play store and found the new Genii app. I installed that, and everything downloaded. I was happy. However, whenever I tapped on the icon to open it again, it tried to open the old version and I got the NiN error again.

So, I delved a wee bit deeper and managed to remove the old app. Now I don't have an icon for the new one :) (I'm fairly sure a reinstall or an update will fix that, but I've not had time).

The moral? If you get a new device, don't install the app from your My Apps list.

That is all.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 22nd, 2014, 5:52 pm

Thanks, Ian, that's very helpful!

mrmagik68

Postby mrmagik68 » July 22nd, 2014, 11:59 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:The Genii app is in the App Store, not the iTunes store. Just enter "Genii" and you should find it with no problem.

Hmmm. I tried that and it keeps stating, "your search has no results". Strange how I found the app on my iPad but can't seem to find it on my new Macbook. This is a bummer as I was looking forward to being able to view my Genii subscription on the Macbook :(

Roberto

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 23rd, 2014, 12:22 am

mrmagik68 wrote:
Richard Kaufman wrote:The Genii app is in the App Store, not the iTunes store. Just enter "Genii" and you should find it with no problem.

Hmmm. I tried that and it keeps stating, "your search has no results". Strange how I found the app on my iPad but can't seem to find it on my new Macbook. This is a bummer as I was looking forward to being able to view my Genii subscription on the Macbook :(

Roberto

Per your other message, you need to install adobe flash on your safari browser. Then login to the "igenii" page and you should get it.

Go here to get the adobe flashplayer.

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 23rd, 2014, 1:17 am

You don't use the app on a macbook: that's a laptop computer. You only use the app on a tablet or smartphone.

You need to install Adobe Flash on your macbook as Chris instructs, then log in using your browser at www.geniimagazine.com.

Then you'll be able to find the issues.

mrmagik68

Postby mrmagik68 » July 23rd, 2014, 3:37 am

Presto!!! It worked! I downloaded Adobe as you gentlemen suggested and now I'm able to view my Genii mags. Thank you!!!

Roberto

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 23rd, 2014, 6:28 am

mrmagik68 wrote:Presto!!! It worked! I downloaded Adobe as you gentlemen suggested and now I'm able to view my Genii mags. Thank you!!!

Roberto

Pro tip.

Delete flash immediately. It is filth and riddled with serous security holes.

Instead, download chrome, which is able to display flash without having flash installed.

Seriously, do it. Get rid of flash. It is the worst software I've ever seen.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 23rd, 2014, 10:26 am

The worst nightmare you've ever seen? Considering the field you work in, that's doubtful. :lol:

John Signa

Postby John Signa » July 23rd, 2014, 11:46 am

The Flash player integrated with Chrome is the same software that is in the Flash plugin, just different loading/update methods.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 23rd, 2014, 12:54 pm

John Signa nailed it.

I'm not a huge fan of flash, but all major browsers (including Apple's Safari) run it in a "sandbox mode" which greatly helps with security.

One of the very few benefits of chrome here is that the flash plugin comes pre-installed. Once you've properly installed flash on the other browsers (like Safari) you end up in a very similar place.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 23rd, 2014, 2:38 pm

John Signa wrote:The Flash player integrated with Chrome is the same software that is in the Flash plugin, just different loading/update methods.

Weird. When I had the standalone flash player app installed, I had all sorts of problems, memory leaks, CPU hogging etc etc

Since I uninstalled it, all that went away. I thought the chrome one was different and called something different. Pepperflash? No?

I guess I just must have been doing something stupid.

Either that, or the standalone app sucks donkey balls.
Last edited by mrgoat on July 23rd, 2014, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 23rd, 2014, 2:40 pm

Chris Aguilar wrote:John Signa nailed it.

I'm not a huge fan of flash, but all major browsers (including Apple's Safari) run it in a "sandbox mode" which greatly helps with security.

One of the very few benefits of chrome here is that the flash plugin comes pre-installed. Once you've properly installed flash on the other browsers (like Safari) you end up in a very similar place.

Could you explain how to "properly" install the standalone flash player?

I just ran the installer, and had CPU, memory and other issues. I uninstalled it and all those problems stopped.

Is there an online guide on how to install it "properly"?

Thanks.
Last edited by mrgoat on July 23rd, 2014, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 23rd, 2014, 2:41 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:The worst nightmare you've ever seen? Considering the field you work in, that's doubtful. :lol:

Worst "software" I've ever seen. :)

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » July 23rd, 2014, 4:42 pm

mrmagik68 wrote:Presto!!! It worked! I downloaded Adobe as you gentlemen suggested and now I'm able to view my Genii mags. Thank you!!!

Roberto
You're welcome.

I'm glad to hear it's working out well for you.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » July 23rd, 2014, 5:11 pm

Chrome's built in flash player is not without its foibles (at least on the PC version).

It is possible, however, to disable it and install the 'usual' Flash player. Sometimes this helps playback on sites like YouTube (which had some synch issues) but will break video playback on Facebook (for example).

A couple of updates for Chrome seems to have sorted this, so I'm back to using the built in version.

I have no idea how this would play out on a Mac, but they are not famous for liking Flash in the first place.

I would suggest that Damian's issues were more to do with running the stand alone version without first disabling the built in version.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 23rd, 2014, 5:45 pm

Sorry Ian. No. Flash is famously utterly buggy, [censored], unsecured trash on a Mac. My issues are not *my* issues, it happens on all macs. The problems disappeared removing the standalone player and just using chrome. Well, chromium, but same deal. I use safari. And not installed chrome to use the built in flash aspect. There were no conflicts as chrome wasn't installed. But this isn't about trying to trouble shoot my issues, because I didn't have any when I uninstalled the player.

I just was posting advice to use chrome rather than the flash player standalone filth.

I wouldn't be surprised if adobe purposely made the Mac version bad after jobs refused to have it on ios!

I have no idea at all why anyone would use flash in 2014 for anything. All the CPU, memory and security issues aside, making something that won't work on mobiles devices is reason enough to use alternative solutions.

Robert Stacher

Postby Robert Stacher » October 25th, 2014, 11:54 am

Hi,

using the Genii app on my iPad, version 2.5.36. When I click "Help", it only shows a blank page. Does anybody have the same issue?

Also, I would like to know how to search for specific words within ALL issues?

Thanks for your help,
Robert

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 25th, 2014, 2:12 pm

The search function is not currently functional--one of the things we're trying to fix. But the help page should be there! What do you get when you touch the tab for "contact"?

Robert Stacher

Postby Robert Stacher » October 25th, 2014, 5:22 pm

I don't see a "contact" tab....? Where should it be located? When I touch "Help", a new window opens, but it remains blank.

Robert Stacher

Postby Robert Stacher » October 28th, 2014, 12:22 pm

Update: the problem was solved automatically: after updating to iOS 8.1, everything now works as it should...

Riversky

Postby Riversky » October 29th, 2014, 4:21 pm

Thanks Richard for informing me that if subscription to Genii magazine is not renewed,
previous digital downloaded versions can not be viewed and password is no longer valid.
I'll re-order with the Skinner Tapes bargin.
Nice to talk with you.

Return to “iGenii”