Genii Archive Question

Discuss aspects of the new digital access to all back issues of Genii and anything therein.
Grippo's Wish

Genii Archive Question

Postby Grippo's Wish » December 8th, 2014, 11:16 pm

When I click in the archives I can select any issue from any year. However, after I click on one of them, there is simply no content: no pages can be seen.

Now, I discovered that if I click on the thumbnails, I can see all the pages in that issue in thumb size; but when trying to access any page it simply goes blank.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Genii Archive Question

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 9th, 2014, 12:17 am

Works perfectly fine for me. I think you must have a pop-up blocker on.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » December 9th, 2014, 3:25 pm

When performing a search, I successfully get a left pane with search results and page thumbnails.

From there, I cannot manage to get a full page to display in the right pane.

I'm on Windows 7 and have tried Firefox, IE and Chrome. All behave the same.

Help?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 9th, 2014, 3:26 pm

As has been noted here several times, the search function is not currently working. The company is fixing it.

Ted M

Postby Ted M » December 9th, 2014, 8:36 pm

Happily I was able to answer my research question thanks to the contextual text supplied with the search results.

I look forward to the day when it's fully operational!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 9th, 2014, 8:57 pm

Me, too!
Thanks for your patience.

Grippo's Wish

Postby Grippo's Wish » December 12th, 2014, 11:47 am

I'm going to explain again my problem, with more details, with the hope that someone may be able to help me.

I'm using the digital version of the magazine in my computer (windows, firefox).

I can perfectly access all the "new" issues (around 2010 until now) with no problem at all.

However, if I go to the archives and choose an older issue (like for example, from 1989) it is not possible to see the pages.

I can only see the thumbnails pages but it will no show the complete pages.

thanks

Grippo's Wish

Postby Grippo's Wish » December 12th, 2014, 12:02 pm

I just tried with Chrome, and exactly the same result: new issues can be seen, old issues can't.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 12th, 2014, 12:04 pm

Do you have a pop up blocker on?

Grippo's Wish

Postby Grippo's Wish » December 12th, 2014, 12:58 pm

No that I know.

But even if so - should that answer why back issues can't be seen and newer ones can?

The "oldest" issue I can browse is from 2000. From 1999 backwards they don't display.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 12th, 2014, 3:30 pm

I have not heard of anyone else having this problem.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » December 12th, 2014, 4:42 pm

Since I also use Windows/Firefox, I can verify that everything is working fine for me in terms of seeing all the back issues ('36 to present).

Would strongly recommend (as Richard has said) verifying that no popupblocker, ad-removing software, etc. is active on those pages.

MagicJB

Postby MagicJB » December 25th, 2014, 12:39 pm

Dear all, I still can't seem to access the archive/search feature (I just get a blank screen when I click on that button in the right-hand panel), on either Mac/Safari or Windows/Internet Explorer interfaces. Anyone else still having this problem, or is this specific to my system? I've heard that popup/ad blockers may be the issue. If so, how do I disable these for Genii? Appreciate the help! Many thanks and happy holidays/new year. Best, Jeremy

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 25th, 2014, 1:58 pm

Google "turn off pop-up blocker

MagicJB

Postby MagicJB » December 25th, 2014, 2:04 pm

Yes, did that and popup blocker is off, but still cannot see archives/search... Thoughts? Thanks...

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 25th, 2014, 7:00 pm

I have no idea. It's visible on every computer I've tried it on.

You can access the Archive of back issues by clicking on the "Issues" button.

Don't know a workaround for the search.

Send me an email detailing your issue, browser, type of computer, etc. to moobooks@verizon.net and I'll forward it to the company who handles this.

Grippo's Wish

Postby Grippo's Wish » January 7th, 2015, 1:37 am

I installed a new browser ("Opera") and STILL the same problem. I really don't know what to do...

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 7th, 2015, 10:44 am

No one else is having this problem that I'm aware of. Try a different computer and see if it works.

atkinsod

Postby atkinsod » March 11th, 2015, 10:18 am

I'm having the same problem. I've done a bit of experimenting:

The initial change to the "Archive and Search" section takes over 20 seconds to load - I have to be patient.

Many page turns can take 7-10 seconds to turn the page - I'm often waiting wondering if I actually clicked the next page button or not.

I can view back issues to the year 2000, but 1999 and previous do not show up (at least not the various sample years I tried)

For years before 2000, the page comes up with the "instructions" in the left pane, but no image in the right. I can click on the "pages" view, and the thumbnails show, but if I click on any, they do not appear. However, this functionality works just fine (if a bit slowly) for years 2000 and later.

Firefox is my primary browser. I disabled all plugins that might interfere, and restarted the browser. My system is up to date on all patches, running Windows 7. I tried both at home, and at work. I tried it with IE and Chrome as well, with the same results. I have not yet tried another browser. My wife has a Mac so I'll try that tonight, and post an update.

Certainly weird!

Doug A.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 11th, 2015, 12:58 pm

Just sent yet another note off to the company who runs all of this. Will update you.

Ted M

Postby Ted M » July 20th, 2015, 12:23 pm

Does Search work for anyone before 2000? I'm trying to do research in the 1960s.

I get thumbnails and page numbers, but no context text and no enlarged pages.

However enlarged pages do work for search results in the 2000s. So it can work, but it doesn't work with the earlier decades. So the enlarged page problem appears to be a data issue.

Context text is missing no matter the era.

The Genii archive is a wonderful resource, but it has been broken for a long time and I miss it.
Last edited by Ted M on July 20th, 2015, 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » July 20th, 2015, 1:04 pm

Firefox v.39 on a Mac running OSX 10.6.8:

Search is fine for issues after 12/99. For searches 12/99 and before, I get the thumbnail, and the accompanying contextual thumbnail in the left hand column. When clicking on the page number, however, nothing loads into page view.

This is true whether the search crosses the 12/99 barrier or not; access to everything after, but nothing from on or before then.

Also it takes quite a while for the Search function to load its entry box. It would be easy to think that the page was blank and the function was not available.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 20th, 2015, 3:27 pm

Thanks for bringing this up. I will forward your comments to the company immediately. It is supposed to be working with no problem.

Thomas Van Aken
Favorite Magician: Mike Skinner

Postby Thomas Van Aken » August 3rd, 2015, 8:00 am

Hello,

I have apparently the same problem; I can display search results from 2007 without problem but not from the '70. I use an HP laptop and use google chrome (pop up blocker is disabled).

Regards

Th.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 3rd, 2015, 12:39 pm

The company is trying to fix the search results problem now.

Ted M

Postby Ted M » February 2nd, 2016, 12:56 pm

The search function is still broken for older issues (I'm looking at 1982; I believe they start working correctly around 2000).

It returns thumbnail pages and some context text in the left pane, but will not display the full page in the right hand pane. This is identical to the functionality I described above in this thread back in December 2014.

Richard, historically you've had epic feuds and eventually settled them peacefully -- is there any chance that Genii could go back to being hosted on Ask Alexander, where the search function actually worked?
Last edited by Ted M on February 2nd, 2016, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 2nd, 2016, 1:43 pm

Genii will never be hosted on Ask Alexander again. It should not be there now.

As far as the Search Function, it had been fixed, and I know because I tried it and others have used it with no problem. But I will ask again based on your latest issue.

tmoca

Postby tmoca » March 26th, 2016, 12:49 pm

I too have this same problem...tried multiple browsers, multiple computers, different networks, fresh browser installs without PU blockers, etc...nothing prior to 2000 shows after clicking a thumbnail from a search. Everything thumbnail that I have clicked that has a date after 2000 seems to work.

Obviously if it was the browser or a popup blocker, then after 2000 would not work as well....any ideas?

Is this a known issue?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 26th, 2016, 1:54 pm

It seems like a known issue now. I don't think this will get fixed until we move to the HTML-5 based system later this year.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » March 26th, 2016, 3:46 pm

I'm having the same problem -- on my desktop computer. But, if you know which issue you want (the computer search engine seems to run fine), you can then turn to your iPad and click Issues, and all those lovely covers pop up, all the way back to 1936. I just spent a most pleasant afternoon tracking down something Irene mentioned in her interview with Max. No problems reading any issue.

tmoca

Postby tmoca » March 27th, 2016, 8:07 am

Steve Bryant wrote:I'm having the same problem -- on my desktop computer. But, if you know which issue you want (the computer search engine seems to run fine), you can then turn to your iPad and click Issues, and all those lovely covers pop up, all the way back to 1936. I just spent a most pleasant afternoon tracking down something Irene mentioned in her interview with Max. No problems reading any issue.

Understood...and that works for me as well, but when searching for specific key words in a specific date range, this ends up being not only time consuming, but a waste of time, because many times the page in question does not contain what you may actually be looking for. If the thumbs were bigger or more detailed, that would help, but you can't make out the details on the thumb...unless I am missing a way to enlarge them.

It's a shame this does not work...all the good stuff is in older issues anyway. :)

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » March 27th, 2016, 9:20 am

I recall a New Yorker cartoon where somebody is watching another spin cards across the room into a hat. The caption read, "Of course it's hard. Anything worth doing is hard."

tmoca

Postby tmoca » March 27th, 2016, 9:22 am

Steve Bryant wrote:I recall a New Yorker cartoon where somebody is watching another spin cards across the room into a hat. The caption read, "Of course it's hard. Anything worth doing is hard."

That's not the point...it shouldn't be. That is what I paid for.

Hopefully the fix will come sooner (this year) than later. It's a deal breaker for my renewal, as I am far more interested in the archive than the new issues.

lybrary

Postby lybrary » March 27th, 2016, 9:55 am

You might want to consider getting the PDF version of the first 75 years of Genii. http://www.lybrary.com/genii-the-conjur ... 76309.html

The advantage of the PDFs is that you do not need any Internet connection which can cause problems at times with online archives, and you are not dependent on somebody else's search or browse feature working or not. Yes, it is only the first 75 years, but at least those you would have access to no matter what. And if you have other PDFs on your computer you can search all of them in one swoop.
Lybrary.com Magic & Gambling
preserving magic one book at a time

tmoca

Postby tmoca » March 27th, 2016, 9:58 am

lybrary wrote:You might want to consider getting the PDF version of the first 75 years of Genii. http://www.lybrary.com/genii-the-conjur ... 76309.html

The advantage of the PDFs is that you do not need any Internet connection which can cause problems at times with online archives, and you are not dependent on somebody else's search or browse feature working or not. Yes, it is only the first 75 years, but at least those you would have access to no matter what. And if you have other PDFs on your computer you can search all of them in one swoop.

This actually may be a great solution. I forgot that you had them out there! Thank you Chris!

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » October 28th, 2016, 5:13 pm

Are there any plans to extend the PDF lybrary version past 2012?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 28th, 2016, 9:23 pm

Let me address this issue: I spent several hours on the phone the other day with the company who handles our digital side, and ran a test on the new HTML5 platform. It works great, and the search function works great. Small things need to be addressed.

If you'll be patient just a little while longer we expect to be online with the new system in early January.

At this time I have no plans to add any further volumes to the file sold by lybrary.com

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » October 29th, 2016, 2:34 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Let me address this issue: I spent several hours on the phone the other day with the company who handles our digital side, and ran a test on the new HTML5 platform. It works great, and the search function works great. Small things need to be addressed.

If you'll be patient just a little while longer we expect to be online with the new system in early January.

Will the change to the HTML5 platform affect the Android Genii app? Any chance we'll ever be able to search from mobile access to the archive?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 29th, 2016, 9:51 am

Both ios and Android apps will also get updated at the same time.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » October 29th, 2016, 12:49 pm

Great to hear it Richard. I use the Genii android app several times a week to read downloaded issues during my light rail commute to work.

Return to “iGenii”