The Institute of Finger Dexterity

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Tabman

The Institute of Finger Dexterity

Postby Tabman » December 27th, 2004, 8:13 pm

I've had a couple of requests for more information on the hand and finger exercises I've referred to several times as the Cowling Institute of Finger Dexterity which were a series of isometric positions designed to keep concert violinists hands properly conditioned. I've been doing them since the 60s and I must tell you that I am a devotee. Mr. Pickles the director has long since passed on and taken the Institute with him I'm afraid. The exercises were passed to me from Mr. Pickles at some cost as a correspondence course and each movement delivered by hand written letter and memeographed instructions.

I've searched for information of the Institute today but no one seems to have ever heard of it. This information is just too good to let die. Since Mr. Pickles no longer depends on this information for part of his living, I took a little time tonight to put up a web page about it.

here's the link:

http://tabmantables.com

go to the bottom of the homepage and click on the Institute of Finger Dexterity Link.

Some of you may find this information useful.

-=tabman

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: The Institute of Finger Dexterity

Postby Matthew Field » December 28th, 2004, 2:56 am

Tabby -- I suffer from some nerve damage in my hands and these exercises are very interesting. I will be using them. Many thanks.

Matt Field

Eric Rose

Postby Eric Rose » December 28th, 2004, 5:17 am

Tabman -

I ran through the exercises for the first time and I am amazed! My hands felt so limber and loose that I checked my typing speed as a baseline and it was 15% higher than I've ever acheived before. Now I'm off to try some passes...

Thanks-
Eric

Tabman

Postby Tabman » December 28th, 2004, 8:57 am

Thanks for letting me know. These are valuable to the right individuals who can find the time to do them day in and day out (like any physical training you have to take regular breaks for rest and healing of stressed muscle tissue). The payout is the dedication to the daily routine. The payoff is that hands will fly. If you have to hold finders in position with the free hand, do that until you can "find" the connection between your brain and the finger. The human little finger is not designed to work by itself but in concert with the third finger. It took me awhile to gain independence of those two fingers - months, years, its been so long I don't remember but they work. The Cowling Isometrics are designed to help you separate them.

Just be careful not to over do it. Early on, I got so excited about the results that I would try to jam my hands with repeated reps and they got a little too strong and muscled up too much (I could crush a Budweiser can between my thumb and second finger but I started loosing speed).

What you are going for is independence, speed, stamina and strength in that order, train much like a runner trains. Are you going for sprints or marathons??? Congratulations, you have taken the first step.

-=tabman

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 28th, 2004, 9:00 am

Okay, who can do 10 and 11?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » December 28th, 2004, 9:06 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
10, yes.
11, not so much.

-Jim

AMCabral

Postby AMCabral » December 28th, 2004, 10:18 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Me. But then again, I'm a pianist.

Wow. These photos look like a conversation with Jeff McBride.

-Tony

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 28th, 2004, 10:40 am

Tabmeister... was that can full or empty?
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 28th, 2004, 10:43 am

I had not trouble with 12 and 13.

Actually, having suffered with Dupeytron's Contractures of both hands, requiring surgery, I figured (after reading Kaufman's comment) that I couldn't do 10 and 11... but... I breezed through them all, no problemo.

Now if you could just kill the excruciating pain in my wrists... :confused:
Stay tooned.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » December 28th, 2004, 11:06 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Now if you could just kill the excruciating pain in my wrists... :confused:
You gotta take it easy and move into them gradually. Don't hurt yourself!!! Oh, in response to your question about the can??? The answer is, I fill it back up when it gets half empty. Be careful, these are powerful exercises!!!

-=tc

Paul Green

Postby Paul Green » December 28th, 2004, 11:11 am

Thanks so much for letting me know about these exercises. They are quite good.

I would like to add an additional set of exercises that have been helpful to me, as well.

Shake the hands, gently, with your hands to your sides, for about 10 to 15 seconds. Then close your fingers, towards your palms, but extend your fingers so that they touch the rear or your palms. Squeeze firmly for about 10 to 15 seconds. Then relax.

I find that the above set also tends to "moisten" my hands. I am sure that this is from the increased circulation.

Happy New Year to all and to all increased dexterity!

Regards,

Paul Green
:D :D :D

Tabman

Postby Tabman » December 28th, 2004, 11:11 am

Oh, it might be helpful to mention that the way to get into these is to take one position at a time per week over a period of 9 weeks to get up to the full program. I would suggest this unless you're experienced with physical training and know your limits. The hands are very complex. If yall don't go easy now I'm going to take them back!!!!

-=-tabman

Steve Proescher

Postby Steve Proescher » December 28th, 2004, 12:46 pm

Tabman: Great excercises. Here's another link for additional excercises:

Hand Health

Tabman

Postby Tabman » December 29th, 2004, 8:11 am

The great thing about the Cowling Institute exercises is that they promote independent movement of the fingers as well as increased speed and dexterity of the individual finger movement much to the benefit of both musicians and sleight of hand artists.

-=tabman

Postby Guest » December 29th, 2004, 11:28 am

I was doing all of those exercises as early as 1959-60, maybe earlier. I do not remember who taught them to me, or if I came up with them myself. There does not seem to be much on "Cowling Institute" or "Cowling System" on Google. Would anyone be able to provide references/citation regarding this "institute | system?"

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » December 31st, 2004, 3:50 pm

You might also find this link interesting. It provides music for its excercises.

http://www.nimblefingers.com/b_exer.htm

Tabman

Postby Tabman » December 31st, 2004, 4:16 pm

Thanks for the great links. Actually, I do the Cowling routine to the music in my head. I usually play "Sleep Walk" a great old steel guitar tune from Santo and Johnny. I know the parts note for note in my head!!!

Happy New Year!!!

-=tabman

Postby Guest » December 31st, 2004, 6:04 pm

Didn't Doug Henning demonstrate these or something similar on one of his specials?

Return to “Buzz”