Copperfield's German lottery stunt

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
David Prouty

Copperfield's German lottery stunt

Postby David Prouty » October 31st, 2001, 9:17 am

I can't believe nobody has commented on Copperfield's claim to have predicted the correct German lottery outcome without trickery a couple of weeks ago.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Re: Copperfield's German lottery stunt

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » October 31st, 2001, 10:40 am

What's there to comment on? It's no different than any of the other mental effects that he's done in the past where he claimed to actually recieve psychic impressions. I don't understand why people are making a fuss about it.

BTW - This has been discussed in other forums...I just don't understand what the big deal is.

-Jim

David Prouty

Postby David Prouty » October 31st, 2001, 2:03 pm

My point being that I recall Copperfield always professing his magic as ILLUSIONS, and DISCLAIMING any supernatural abilities.

Postby Guest » October 31st, 2001, 7:59 pm

To was to attract peoples to his show, not to sell any Psychic stone or whatever, so ther s no big deal doing it.
The ad would not have been good if he said: I'm going to predict the lottery, but this is an illusion. In other word: I'm going to change this fake predict at the last moment...
That doesn't good. Saying: I'm going to predict the lottery and this policeman is there to confirm that I'm not cheating...
That sounds inbelivebale.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » October 31st, 2001, 8:29 pm

When he does Flying, does he say, "I'm going to make it look like I'm flying," or does he say, "I'm going to fly?"

When he does Portal, does he say "I'm going to make it look like I transport myself and a member of the audience to Hawaii," or does he say, "I'm going to transport myself and a member of the audience to Hawaii?"

Did he say that he made it look like the Statue of Liberty vanished or that the ghosts of the Barclay House looked like they came back or that he made any of his illusions appear to just be tricks? No. He always (except for a few instances, maybe) gives the impression of real powers, and not illusion.

As M@thieu D said, he's not trying to sell anything. He's not exploiting grieving people. He's not doing anything except pure entertainment (and publicity stunts ;)). I don't have a problem with that.

-Jim

Return to “Buzz”