Justin Miller

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Re: Justin Miller

Postby Guest » October 29th, 2006, 5:06 pm

I'd also like to thank Justin for taking the time to clarify his public statement. It addressed the issues, and I'm glad this discussion was able to achieve resolution through his remarks and the aftermath.

I know I've been labeled 'the bad guy' in this thread for causing the shift in tone, but keep in mind I never speculated about the personal part to his storyjust how it related to his view of magic. Nor did I speculate about DVD sales, etc. Hopefully, Justin read the entire thread and understood that.

When I was younger and just starting college, I used to read magic books continuously (literally). So, to anyone around me, it was in plain sight. Well, I was at a small family reunion at that time and about twelve members of my family decided to encircle me and accuse me of doing witchcraft and jeopardizing my soul by doing mentalism effects. This heated moment lasted a couple of hours, during which I fielded each question and accusation to the best of my abilities. Afterward, I had someone drive me to the gas station so I could buy a pack of cigarettes. I hadn't smoked before that for a year.

So if Justin (or anyone) were joining the league of those who want to say that doing what we do is evil, then I would have to take issue with that. He didn't say that exactly, I concede, but in my interpretation (which has since been clarified), he left the possibility that he may be saying something similar.

I would have expected a lot more support from magicians of any religious belief, but I think everyone framed it as a "David Rowyn vs Justin Miller" thing, which made it much more personal than I ever intended. I have no ill will toward Justin, and he and I have no bad blood between us. So if someone was speculating that I was fueling some feud, I think Justin would be the first to tell them that they are mistaken.

Finally, it's good to see another Austinite jump in the conversation at the last minute and imply that we (Brad and I) are athiests, which I am most certainly not (and I don't see anywhere where Brad said he was either). Yes, I am unmarried, but the subject matter for me was about magic, not marriage. Finally, you say 'Justin's business is Justin's business' as though his personal issues are his own. Granted. But then you proceed to introduce personal issues about Brad and myself, which is a bit hypocritical. If you quickly wrote that post 'in the moment' without thinking it throughnot to worry, all is forgiven.

My best,
David Rowyn

//

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Justin Miller

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 29th, 2006, 5:25 pm

We normally don't allow any discussion regarding religion on this Forum--it's one of those things not easily talked about, along with politics.

In this case, in fact, the discussion doesn't belong here.

Mr. Miller has stated his facts and good luck to him whatever path he wants to take.

For us, that's the end of the story.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Buzz”