New Sam Schwartz Book

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Mike

New Sam Schwartz Book

Postby Mike » November 15th, 2003, 7:35 am

Has anyone seen a copy of the new Sam Schwartz book Sams ?Opinions? Is it more than one part?Lastly any contact information for magico magazine? thanks

Steve Mills

Re: New Sam Schwartz Book

Postby Steve Mills » November 18th, 2003, 9:38 pm

Mike,

It came in to Denny and Lee's today.

I'm anxious to see it.

Later.....
Steve

Jeffrey Cowan
Favorite Magician: Bob Kohler & Tim Conover

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » December 9th, 2003, 10:44 am

This may not be "buzz" anymore, but I had a chance to review an advance copy of the Sam Schwartz book last month right before a trip to Australia that hindered my ability to post for several weeks.

In any event, I was impressed by the diverse quantity of quality magic -- most of which requires only intermediate technique or less. There are some effects that strike me as extremely commercial (eg, the "two in the hand, one in the pocket" routine with bottle caps and a card routine with an hour glass that requires only a few sleights, the hardest of which is a top change done under tons of cover). There also is some impromptu mentalism (including a telephone trick) that will just kill magicians and laymen alike if you put the work in.

Schwartz reminds me of John Bannon in that he varied subtlety with economical technique in constructing his routines. . .

Also, the production values are superb: great illustrations, layout, and the writing is clear.
-- Jeffrey Cowan
www.cowan-law.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 9th, 2003, 5:37 pm

I spoke to Sam Schwartz about the book a day or so ago, and he told me that he given about 125 items to the publisher and over half were cut out of the final book.
Someone else noted that the books has a "Volume 1" on it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Doug Brewer

Postby Doug Brewer » December 10th, 2003, 12:57 pm

I too was privy to an advance copy and can say with all honesty that this is an entertaining read with something for just about everyone.

Close-up, stand-up (some cool ring and rope moves) and mentalism.

I agree with Mr. Cowan about the production values - outstanding.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » December 15th, 2003, 8:32 am

I love Sam Schwartz's material, but am disappointed in several characteristics of the book.

There are many errors. To name just a few: "Four Card Monte" on pg 47 doesn't mention that you need to have a card reversed in the packet, and the illustration shows no reversed card. "Torn Up" on page 87 shows an illustration of the gaff depicted wrong (should be 3/4 of the face of the card, 1/4 blank; it is reversed). Numerous English errors: pg 136: "Sam was the person that Tannen's turned to magage their close-up shows at their annual Jubilee's." That's two errors in one sentence. Pg 13 shows Sam's No-Brainer Cull from the rear, and the picture is indecipherable.

That's just a sample, and I've got 100 page to go in the book. There is a ton of white space, blank pages, needless chapter introductions. Many "Editor's Notes" with no editor listed in the book. A page devoted to Sam's "The Astrology Book" effect with nothing but a bare-bones description of the effect only -- nothing about method. Although, as Richard Kaufman mentioned, the title page calls this volume 1, the last "chapter," titled "The End?" makes it seem like this will be it.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » December 20th, 2003, 11:15 am

Ok, there are some errors in this book as mentioned above. Regardless, there is superb magic that has gotten me pretty excited. Here are the sections:

Signature Routines: Routines that are a staple of Sam's act. All are very commercial and entertaining.
Packet Fantasies: Excellent packet tricks, including his famous Backflip, which up until now was only published in Epilogue.
More Packet Fantasies: More packet tricks, of the wierder kind. Very nice.
Coins: Sam's take on coin magic. "Bottled" and "Alchemy with Coins" will win you over.
Incredi Box: Coin magic using Sam's Incredi Box (similar to the Boston Box).
Topological Trio: Sam takes one idea and creates several different effects with it. It includes the weirdest T&R card effect I've ever seen.
Classics Redux: Sam's take on some classic effects.
Mentalistic: Sam's mentalism magic. Pretty interesting things here.
Words: mentalism that uses clever word play.
Horowitz: effects that were constructed by both Horowitz and Sam. Includes linking ropes.
Math!: math magic
Sam and Harry: Lorayne and Sam colaboration.
Rings and Ropes: self explanitory.
Cards!: Even more card effects. You can't get too many of those.

So basically, there is something for everyone. Two thumbs way up. Enjoy!

Return to “Buzz”