Blaine's Ice stunt melted by Fox PR

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Bill Duncan

Re: Blaine's Ice stunt melted by Fox PR

Postby Bill Duncan » April 21st, 2002, 11:30 am

Originally posted by Bob Farmer:
I always answer, "One of my best students."
Gee Bob, given your other posts about Blaine I would expect that to be:

"One of my most successful students."

I would expect your best students would be a lot better than Mr. Blaine.
;)

Elwood

Postby Elwood » May 5th, 2002, 10:33 am

I think you've all missed th point of the ice thing by looking too hard...the real endurance was the time spent standing up, not the cold...because it wasn't cold!

For many hundreds and maybe thousands of years, Inuit people have lived quite happily inside blocks of ice called igloos. It is a well known fact that it is fairly warm inside an igloo. And these people didn't have infra-red lamps and special harnesses or stuff like that!

The public love Blaine, and most of us here will never be as famous as him, and some of you seem to have a real jealousy about this, that manifests itself in the form of bitchy postings about Blaine, his money, his luck, his whatever.

Face facts guys, you'd love to be David Blaine, wouldn't you?!

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » May 5th, 2002, 1:45 pm

I've found that people usually do NOT tell me that Blaine is better than me, but rather something along the lines of "Wow, you're as good as that guy Blaine."

Most people have NOT seen decent close-up, and it's one thing to see it on TV, quite another thing to have it happen in their hands or right in front of their faces.

When the Blaine comparison is made, I act as if it's a vote of confidence, because (whatever the "magical community" thinks of him) when laypeople invoke him, they usually do it very admiringly.

I repeat, Blaine is the only magician that audiences regularly mention to me as a good magician they've seen.

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » May 5th, 2002, 1:52 pm

Postby Guest » May 5th, 2002, 4:41 pm

Ralph said
"She doesn't care when I tell her that I've seen countermen at Tannen's with more talent."

Now THAT is definitely not true, lol.

Paul.

Postby Guest » May 5th, 2002, 5:45 pm

Among the current crop of Tannen's countermen, I'd pit the sleight-of-hand chops of Majique Balay (sp?) against those of David Blaine any day. Does that mean that in the grand scheme of things Majique deserves Blaine's fame and fortune? Not necessarily. But I stand by my basic assessment.

This is by no means an endorsement of Tannen's. Nowadays I only shop there under duress and under protest.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » May 5th, 2002, 9:44 pm

Mr Majique Bailey is definately more talented than Mr. Blaine. Having seen Majique work in bars and at parties as recently as last week (he does Tannen's on the side), I can assure you he can kick some hmm. I happen to like the first and second Blaine specials but Majique know how to work a room.

Postby Guest » May 5th, 2002, 10:06 pm

Originally posted by Pete McCabe:
He gets a fantastic response from the people he performs for. His specials get great ratings and are talked about across the country and around the world.
The ends do not always justify the means. As to Mr. Blaine presenting his magic as "real", I find that makes him nothing more than a con artist-- a palm reader with good publicity. I don't think he should be respected for that at all.

The only thing that separates us (Magicians) from most televanglists, grifters and con artists is that we make no bones about it being entertainment. I wonder if Mr. Blaine has considered the damage he could be doing by convincing people that he can do "Real Magic"?
I do not think so. He strikes me more like a mercenary street punk who's lucked into "the big con".

And I find it absolutely hilarious that he was too stupid to realize that South American Natives probably wouldn't know what playing cards are. And I find it even funnier that the producers were too stupid to edit that mistake out...

But Hey, That's Just My Opinion. I could be wrong.

Steven Youell :p

Return to “Buzz”