Best Lecturers!!!!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
C. Hampton
Favorite Magician: Tamariz, DaOrtiz, Coperfield

Best Lecturers!!!!

Postby C. Hampton » April 25th, 2004, 10:33 am

I just finish putting together a Lecture tour for Michael Ammar in Spain, and I would like to get a few more magicians coming this way.

I am already contacting Michael Close, and attempting to contact Kevin James.

I was wondering what lectures do you guys think are worthy bringing to this side of the Atlantic.

I am looking for lectures, not dealer shows (big difference here), although I understand that sales need to be made as well.

Who have you seen lately that might fill this bill?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Carlos Hampton
www.damainquieta.com
Carlos Hampton
www.damainquieta.com/conferencias

Bill Duncan

Re: Best Lecturers!!!!

Postby Bill Duncan » April 25th, 2004, 11:17 am

I'll suggest two fellows whose work should be better known...

Steve Dobson and Doug Conn.

Steve is pretty well known in the underground due to his appearances at Fechters and other venues.

Samples of Doug's work can be seen online at
this web site.

Postby Guest » April 25th, 2004, 12:33 pm

Paul Cummins and Roger Klause are two that come to mind right away.

Bill Wheeler

Postby Bill Wheeler » April 25th, 2004, 5:07 pm

I would agree with Mr. Greenwood regarding Roger Klause....without a doubt the most valuable lecture I attended I still use the material he taught and this was at the Desert Magic Seminar 19 (maybe 97ish).
Driver: Callaway FT-5
Irons: Titlest AP-1
Wedges: Vokey 52,58,64
Putter: i-series Black #9

Postby Guest » April 25th, 2004, 5:45 pm

Henry Evans is commercially stunning and fools magicians, too. He likes to lecture, and he speaks Spanish, too.

Rick Maue was a recent favorite of mine. He likes to travel, too. His mentalism has a strong magical application, and his magic has many psychological subtleties.

Steve V

Postby Steve V » April 25th, 2004, 5:48 pm

One guy I really enjoyed, and he was ill during the lecture, was Dan Fleshman out of St. Louis. Paul Green of course, Paul Gertner, pretty much anyone named Paul.
Steve V
Steve V

Joe M. Turner
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Joe M. Turner » April 26th, 2004, 8:14 am

In Atlanta, we have had wonderful lectures in the last few years. Some excellent lecturers that come to mind are Martin Lewis, Paul Cummins, Henry Evans, Danny Archer, and Chuck Hickok.

Doug Conn lectured at an Atlanta Harvest convention several years ago and he was fantastic.

JMT

Jakob Rasmussen

Postby Jakob Rasmussen » April 26th, 2004, 8:31 am

Hi Carlos

Book Loren C. Michels and you get a great lecture.

Best Jakob

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » April 26th, 2004, 9:17 am

Jay Sankey is the one of the best. I also think Bob Bengel gives a great lecture. I'll second the Paul Cummins recommendation.

Matt Field

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 26th, 2004, 10:04 am

Daryl
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 26th, 2004, 10:05 am

Daryl and Doc Eason. For cards... Steven Youell
Stay tooned.

Randy

Postby Randy » April 26th, 2004, 10:11 am

My vote goes to John Carney. I've seen him lecture a couple of times and he makes you THINK!
Just like Michael Jordan in basketball, the truly great make the people around them reach for a higher level and John Carney does just that. You will leave his lecture inspired to re-visit the routines you are already doing to make them better. I believe you can reach him on his website: carneymagic.com. Good luck.

Pepka

Postby Pepka » April 26th, 2004, 7:48 pm

Have seen a few of those mentioned, and enjoyed them all. But the best lecture I've ever seen, and probably one of the nicest guys I've ever met in my life was my first lecture I ever attended. Tom Mullica. I don't think he is doing much magic these days, but if you could get him to come out of retirement, you'd have a real treat.
If you do, let me know; I may show up.
Pepka

Joe M. Turner

Postby Joe M. Turner » April 26th, 2004, 7:59 pm

When I was co-chair of the Southeastern Association of Magicians convention in Atlanta in 2002, we tried everything to get Mullica to do magic.

J.C. Doty, who built the bar at the TomFoolery, is still very active in magic and he went to bat for us, but to no avail. We wanted to recreate the TomFoolery for one night only as part of the convention. It would have been an amazing event. It was quite a concept and we would have publicized it all over Atlanta. When I'm working, I frequently meet people who went to the TomFoolery and had a wonderful time. It is legendary in Atlanta. We would have drawn a huge crowd from the general public by putting a few signs up in Buckhead (the trendy area where many of the best Atlanta bars, clubs and shops are located).

That convention would have sold out the hotel if we had succeeded in getting Tom Mullica on the bill to recreate the TomFoolery. Unfortunately, I am afraid that he is done with magic for good... or at least for a long, long, LONG time.

JMT

Postby Guest » April 26th, 2004, 9:41 pm

Originally posted by Joe M. Turner:
...Unfortunately, I am afraid that Tom Mullica is done with magic for good... or at least for a long, long, LONG time.
Anybody know why?

Is it because your pockets are so heavy all the time? :D

Joe M. Turner

Postby Joe M. Turner » April 27th, 2004, 5:03 am

On the contrary, I think it's because your pockets are so often empty as a magician! He makes more money and gets more professional respect as an actor.

JMT

Postby Guest » April 27th, 2004, 9:33 am

Originally posted by Joe M. Turner:
...He makes more money and gets more professional respect as an actor....
Oh, I saw him in some movie once. He makes more money as an actor?!!! There are so many out-of-work actors in L.A., who are plying their trade at tables in restaurants. He must have found a niche and made a name for himself among directors.

jimmycards

Postby jimmycards » April 27th, 2004, 9:53 am

I'll put a plug in for Paul Cummins also. It's a great lecture and a lot of fun.

Might I suggest you also contact Obie O'Brien who runs the FFFF. He brings a lot of talent to that convention and also knows who lectures and how good it was received.
Jim Molinari
www.jimmycards.com

mark

Postby mark » April 27th, 2004, 10:01 am

Just saw Doc Eason, who has some fine commercial magic, another of this line of entertainer/magicians is Geoff Williams, who is a real crowd pleaser. For a bit more of a specialty lecture, I agree with Pete that Steven Youell is an awesome card lecturer. I attended a lecture and workshop with him this weekend, and he goes above and beyond the call in delivering what people need from him. His lecture notes are head and shoulders above the usual lecture notes, and underpriced at $30 ppd. I give him an "A."

Joe M. Turner

Postby Joe M. Turner » April 27th, 2004, 10:28 am

Originally posted by David Groves:
He must have found a niche and made a name for himself among directors.
That Skelton show -- with David Sandy managing it -- is apparently the best thing that has ever happened to him. www.skeltontribute.com

JMT

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » April 27th, 2004, 11:26 am

Joe -- how were the lecturers at FFFF this year?

Maybe you could tell us something about this convention (in another topic) (for those of us who arent' likely to get there anytime soon).

Postby Guest » April 27th, 2004, 12:23 pm

At the Magic Apple - we juat had a lecture with Aldo Colombini and it was GREAT!! He is entertaining, funny and explained some very powerful and easy magic! Aldo is great at all aspects of magic! There were all ages that attended the workshop/lecture from a 14 year old kid to some older folks and all seemed to have a great time!

Postby Guest » April 27th, 2004, 7:31 pm

Hi all,

The best lecturer that I have seen recently was Tony Daniels, hosted by Stevens Magic Emporium. He really didn't teach tricks per se, but did teach how to customize your existing routines and yourself to make you the performer more marketable to your client. His emphasis was on the "business" side of "show business."

Let's face it, we all have a 'glut' of tricks. Tony did an excellent job of lecturing on how to sell you. If you get the chance to see him, don't miss the opportunity.

Have a good one,

Bob Phillips

C. Hampton

Postby C. Hampton » April 28th, 2004, 2:44 am

Thanks to all, I am getting lots of e-mail of lecturers offering themselves, which is great.

Selling Ammar here in Spain was easy since everyone knows him with the easy to master series, let's see how they received some of those not so well know names outside the US.

Does anyone has the contact info for Mr O'brien?

Thanks,

Carlos Hampton
Carlos Hampton

C. Hampton

Postby C. Hampton » April 29th, 2004, 11:29 am

Does anyone has Troy Hooser contact information?

Thanks,

Carlos
Carlos Hampton

George Olson

Postby George Olson » April 29th, 2004, 10:23 pm

A good friend of Steve Dobson is in Madrid as we speak. Reed McClintock is "doing" Europe for the next few weeks. Lisbon next. He was at Fechters last week-end with Steve.

Got to see his cups and balls.

GO

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 30th, 2004, 9:01 am

Doc Eason is great.
Stay tooned.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » April 30th, 2004, 3:26 pm

Originally posted by Carlos Hampton:
I just finish putting together a Lecture tour for Michael Ammar in Spain.... I am already contacting Michael Close, [/URL]
michael close sounds good. i saw bob sheets at an IBM convention and i dont know if he's well known across the big pond but he was well received here. we had mr. close at the music city conclave in the early 1990s and he was great. good magic, funny, good personality. my personal favorite max maven absolutely was great. he did a special midnight lecture. also there was jim sisti who is very funny with good magic, pete biro did a killer lecture called "son of greater magic" also full of good laughs as is pete's style, richard hatch did his first ever hofzinser lecture which he is brilliant at and the geno munari lecture with gambling moves and information from las vegas turned out to be the outside conclave favorite along with max maven at midnight. best of all, have fun. michael ammar is the absolute best to work with all around. good luck!-=tabman

Originally posted by Carlos Hampton:
I just finish putting together a Lecture tour for Michael Ammar in Spain.... I am already contacting Michael Close, [/URL]

C. Hampton

Postby C. Hampton » June 4th, 2004, 4:49 am

For those trying to contact me please do so at carelitri@yahoo.es , my regular server is down.

Thanks,

Carlos Hampton
Carlos Hampton

Jonathan Levey

Postby Jonathan Levey » June 4th, 2004, 5:19 am

you can book me :D

Postby Guest » June 4th, 2004, 11:23 am

Tom Mullica.

Postby Guest » June 5th, 2004, 9:09 am

I may get heat from this, but the absolute best lecture I ever attended (and I did attend quite a few ) was Harry Lorayne's, not only the longest lecture I attended (he went on for hours)but the most interesting and informative and in person he is a really nice guy and boy is he ever hyper.
I would strongly recommend him if he is still available to lecture.
Rennie

Postby Guest » June 5th, 2004, 11:12 am

I just had a lecture in my Magic Shop on Thursday with Whit Haydn and it was GREAT!!! It was over 2 hours long and Whit was lecturing a tiny bit but it was like a professional magic class! He explained some of his BEST tricks! Chicago Surprise, Mongolian Knots, the COlor CHanging Knives and MUCH MUCH MORE!! He even did a 15-20 minute magic show!! I have a few more lecture/workshops coming up and I'm sure they will be just as good!!
thanx Whit, for a great time!!!!!!!

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » June 5th, 2004, 3:10 pm

Originally posted by Rennie:
I may get heat from this, but the absolute best lecture I ever attended (and I did attend quite a few ) was Harry Lorayne's
I doubt whether many who've seen Lorayne lecture would disagree.

Great material, unique and entertaining presentation, unbelievable energy and enthusiasm -- the man is just great.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » June 6th, 2004, 11:11 am

Matt,
Thanks for backing me on that. I know some people do not care for his antics and say he does not give proper credit, however I found him most gracious and entertaining and his lecture went on for about 5 hours.I was entertained the entire time and yes he was ready to go on longer.He autographed all my books written by him and as you say he has unbelieveable energy and enthusiasm.As I said earlier my absolute favorite lecturer.
Rennie

Return to “Buzz”