Darwin Ortiz's new card book

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Larry Horayne

Re: Darwin Ortiz's new card book

Postby Larry Horayne » August 14th, 2002, 8:01 am

Received this note from Darwin August 8th:

Off the record, the holdup on the book is the same thing it's been for many
weeks. The designer in charge of laying out the book has been dragging his
feet to an amazing degree. It's been a very trying experience.

In theory, the book should go to the printer within a week or two. (This guy
has reneged on so many deadlines, however, that I can't be sure until it
actually happens.) Once it goes to the printer, it should be a matter of six
to eight weeks before it's ready for shipping.

www.SandySinger.com
A DATE WITH SINATRA

Postby Guest » August 14th, 2002, 8:23 am

Sandy,

If that info. is off the record, do you think it is wise to post it for all to see?

Jamie Badman

Postby Jamie Badman » August 14th, 2002, 9:03 am

Well I for one am glad he did post it; I paid my money back in May expecting a release in June, I believe - and now it looks unlikely we'll be seeing the product until October. I honestly don't mind the wait - because I know I'll get it when it's done - but I think that such severe delays should be communicated so that people who have handed over their money know what's going on.

Jamie.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » August 14th, 2002, 9:17 am

Originally posted by Jamie Badman:
Well I for one am glad he did post it; I paid my money back in May expecting a release in June, I believe - and now it looks unlikely we'll be seeing the product until October. I honestly don't mind the wait - because I know I'll get it when it's done - but I think that such severe delays should be communicated so that people who have handed over their money know what's going on.
I agree, but it's Darwin's job to inform people. If he says something's off the record, it should stay that way, IMO.

-Jim

Postby Guest » August 14th, 2002, 9:36 am

Jim Maloney is correct. That was my point exactly.

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » August 14th, 2002, 2:26 pm

Originally posted by Sandy Singer:
Received this note from Darwin August 8th:

Once it goes to the printer, it should be a matter of six
to eight weeks before it's ready for shipping.

www.SandySinger.com
A DATE WITH SINATRA
Another six to eight WEEKS!!! Shhheeeessh! Never again!

Darwin Ortiz

Postby Darwin Ortiz » August 15th, 2002, 12:38 am

Originally posted by Jamie Badman:
but I think that such severe delays should be communicated so that people who have handed over their money know what's going on.
Jamie.
You're absolutely right, Jamie. My only excuse is that I didn't want to post any information until I had a firm publication date. This can't happen until the book goes to the printer. If I had known it would take this long to get to the printer I wouldn't have waited to post. Unfortunately, the process has been more like Chinese water torture or the death of a thousand cuts. Each delay looked like it would only set things back a few days more. Until the next tiny delay. And then the next one and the next one.

Without going into details, I'll say that the problem has involved factors outside the control of either Michael Maxwell or myself. At the time that I started taking orders, it seemed certain that the book would be out soon since 99% of the work was done. All that remained was the brief (!) task of layout and design.

At this point it appears virtually certain that the book will go to the printer at the end of next week, at which point I will be able to post a publication date. (I'd be lying if I didn't admit that this isn't the first time I've believed that.)

I can only hope that the quality of the book and the deep discount I offered on pre-orders will make the wait worthwhile.

As to Jeff Eline's comment, “Never again,” I can tell you that I've uttered those words to myself upon finishing each of the seven books I've written. After the ordeal involved in getting this one to press, this time I may stick to my resolution.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » August 15th, 2002, 1:21 am

Darwin,
Thank you for keeping us up to date. I am looking forward to your book, especially the mentalism effects.

None of us would be here without our mother's having a lot of birth pain.

I am sorry I missed your lecture at Denny's (I had the flu) and the opportunity to meet you.

Richard Tremblay

Postby Richard Tremblay » August 15th, 2002, 4:57 am

Originally posted by Darwin Ortiz:
After the ordeal involved in getting this one to press, this time I may stick to my resolution.
I certainly doesn't hope so. Your books influenced me so much that not beeing able to put on my wish list "the next Darwin Ortiz' book" would be a pain.

I certainly believe that the delay regarding your book more than worth the wait.

Best regards.

Richard Tremblay

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2002, 10:34 pm

I hate waiting for Darwin's book. But its only because they are so wonderful. I'll buy any of his magic books, sight unseen. They are practically guaranteed to be worth the wait. So far none of them have turned up on my continuous "for sale" pile! :)

Postby Guest » August 18th, 2002, 3:33 pm

Thanks for the reply about the status of the book Darwin. While noone is happy about the delay, the world will not end. Regarding no more new books, I hope that you dont stick to any such resolution. I like your material and I hope that the well does not dry up.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » August 20th, 2002, 7:55 pm

I visited Darwin at the weekend and, coincidentally, the layout for the book had just arrived by email. Michael Albright has done an outstanding job on the layout AND the cover and Darwin is extremely pleased with the way the book will look. All that's left is a quick proof read to ensure illustrations match up, etc, and the book can go to the printers. I would make a conservative guess that that will be about three weeks but there are no guarantees (Albright is a pro designer and is busy with other jobs as well).

In any case the book will be ready SOON! Thanks to all those who have been patient - it will be well worth the wait. Mark Ennis also saw the layout on Sunday and I'm sure he'll back me up in saying that this will be one of the best looking books in magic in a long time.

Andrew

Postby Guest » August 21st, 2002, 3:41 am

Andrew is correct. The book looks absolutely incredible. You could tell that Darwin was really pleased with the product despite all of the delays.

I know a lot of people have been waiting anxiously but you will not be disappointed.

Richard Tremblay

Postby Richard Tremblay » August 21st, 2002, 4:57 am

Now, that's good news!

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Best regards.

Richard Tremblay

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » September 21st, 2002, 11:04 pm

Any updates on release? Unfortunately I wasn't aware of the prerelease discount - but it doesn't matter - It'll still be on my shelf within a week of it's release
I was fortunate enough to be at some of Mr. Ortiz's A1 tapings and some conventions he attended - Always the Professional and always a gentleman - No doubt another great book

Dave

Postby Guest » September 22nd, 2002, 5:14 am

Darwin posted this on another thread...

"Scams & Fantasies with Cards goes to the printer Monday. As soon as I have a firm publication date I will post it here."

KenAbbott

Postby KenAbbott » October 8th, 2002, 10:44 am

I just saw a message in this Forum that I could purchase the new Ortiz book at the pre-publication price of $30.00 and that the retail price is $40.00.

The prepublication offer by Ortiz was $35.00 and it inferred that this was a $10.00 savings. Does anyone else know what the true retail price will be? Can you truly get the book cheaper from every internet distributor than through Darwin's original deal?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 8th, 2002, 12:46 pm

Ken, it is an unfortunate development in the sales of magic books, tricks, and videos that you can often find them sold on the internet at near wholesale prices. This practice is destroying a once vital industry and helping to drive many magic shops out of business.
There is nothing we can do about it--the customer wins in one sense and loses in another. The people who make the books, videos, and tricks just lose.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » October 8th, 2002, 2:32 pm

...and the [qualified] people who write, produce, and design books will STOP doing it, leaving the field wide open to the schlockmeisters of every pedigree.

Some of us waited ten years for certain books to materialize. These aspects often alter the ratio between expectation and fulfillment.

I'm betting that the new Ortiz book is worth the waiting...

Onward...

Postby Guest » October 25th, 2002, 4:13 am

Shahin

Postby Shahin » October 25th, 2002, 7:26 am

hey,what an ad! amazing!

I am 100 percent sure, that the book lives up to its expectations,like all of darwins work!

So one more sleepless week! can`t wait!

s.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 25th, 2002, 12:56 pm

The book just went to the printer within the past few weeks, so it won't be ready until most likely mid-November.

Postby Guest » October 25th, 2002, 9:52 pm

I just heard from my local dealer that the book will be available very shortly by "Mike Maxwell and A1 Publishing" and he reserved a copy for me. This is intersting because around these parts there's been a lot of talk about A1.

I can't wait to finally get the book. To me the wait just makes the end result all the more to look forward to. Besides, there's been so much quality material sold this year, such as Regals books, Malone's tapes, and of course Genii Magazine. It's nice to be able spread out my cash outlay for 2002.

Shawn Preston

Postby Shawn Preston » October 29th, 2002, 9:43 am

The word from A-1 is that it will arrive in their offices the week of November 25-30. At which point it will start shipping. that gives me time to spend my pennies on the new Berglas book, or the Houdin books, or the new Carney book, or all the other books that I can't afford to buy....

one at a time
Shawn
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. - Einstein

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 29th, 2002, 3:55 pm

Hey, don't forget about my new book on Stanley Collins that I'll have out in mid December. 360 pages! Two entire unpublished manuscripts written by Collins in addition to the Dawes biography. It even got good reviews in MAGIC and Genii! :)

Shawn Preston

Postby Shawn Preston » October 29th, 2002, 5:16 pm

Oh Great!!!!
Actually I can hardly wait! Another to add to my Christmas list!
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. - Einstein

Darwin Ortiz

Postby Darwin Ortiz » October 30th, 2002, 4:16 am

Scams & Fantasies with Cards is set to ship from the printer at the end of November. I will post again as soon as I receive copies. Thanks to everyone for your patience.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz

Postby Guest » October 30th, 2002, 5:35 am

Dear Darwin: I'm Manuel Cuesta from Spain, since Estoril I didn't see you any more. Every time time I read your books I remember the old times were great magicians wrote great books like yours. Quality was the aim not quantity. Nowadays lots of magic books are written as fast as wallets overfill.
November 30th it's a lot of time to wait. But patiente it's an asset from a man.
Thanks for your patiente in writting the last one. My part it's having patiente for the delay.

Postby Guest » October 30th, 2002, 7:57 am

Just a note to say that Darwin Ortiz will be giving a lecture & signing at our store on the evening of December 13th. We'll post a more formal announcement of this in the General section of Genii Forum soon. In the meantime, if you'd like to attend, or wish to receive a signed or inscribed copy of the book, please contact me privately. Also note that members of our book club can receive a 20% discount on "Scams & Fantasies with Cards."
Best,
Michael

* Michael Canick Booksellers, L.L.C.
* 200 East 82nd Street, #3B
* New York, NY 10028
* Phone: (212) 585-2990
* Fax: (212) 585-2986
* E-Mail: canick@panix.com
* By Appointment.
* Specializing in Rare, Used & New Magic.
* Book Search Service & Appraisals in All Fields.
* Catalogs Issued.

mike cookman

Postby mike cookman » November 1st, 2002, 5:36 pm

Whenever the Darwin Ortiz book is available I will buy one. :)

Postby Guest » November 3rd, 2002, 8:23 am

Same here. Trying to not buy this new one would be like trying to supress a sneeze. Darwin Ortiz is one of the best writers in magic--card abilities nothwithstanding.

Postby Guest » November 10th, 2002, 9:16 am

Let's look at it this way: Because of the delay, now the wait BETWEEN Darwin's books won't be as long. Surely he's working on another already! Lucky us, the readership! And we can almost guarantee that this is a book sure to be worth the wait. I'm among the group that loves all of Darwin's books. He's very good at the writing, but in my opinion, where Darwin excels is in his CONSTRUCTION of routines: Building logically, knowing what to point up, what to underplay, etc. Would most of you agree that this is Darwin's "strong suit"?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 10th, 2002, 4:20 pm

Having published Darwin's first three books, I can assure you that he is NOT working on a fifth at the moment. He is so disgusted and fed up with the entire process by the time each one is finished that he swears he will never write another. You'll note that years pass between the publication of each book. So I wouldn't expect to see another book from him until several years after this new one appears.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 11th, 2002, 1:06 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
He is so disgusted and fed up with the entire process by the time each one is finished that he swears he will never write another.
Reminds me of the attitude of the guy who published "Richard's Almanac", then "The Looking Glass", then picked up "Genii".

Al Pacino said it best:
"They keep pulling me back in"

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 11th, 2002, 1:18 pm

Hey Bill, everyone finds a niche sooner or later! :)

David Penn

Postby David Penn » November 28th, 2002, 6:10 am

Any word on when Darwin's new book will "hit the street"??

Shahin

Postby Shahin » November 28th, 2002, 7:16 am

any day, maybe tomorrow!

S.

Dave Egleston

Postby Dave Egleston » November 29th, 2002, 2:18 pm

Having published Darwin's first three books, I can assure you that he is NOT working on a fifth at the moment. He is so disgusted and fed up with the entire process by the time each one is finished that he swears he will never write another.
Maybe he should reconsider his publisher -
He wouldn't be the only one!!!!

Dave

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2002, 10:05 pm

Having published Darwin's first three books, I can assure you that he is NOT working on a fifth at the moment.
I was just going by Darwin's words to me. Perhaps Richard has a better source.

Postby Guest » December 3rd, 2002, 11:13 am

I agree with John Blaze's earlier post. Darwin excells in effect construction and it would be nice to see him crank out another book (similar to Strong Magic). In the meantime, I look forward to his new book (which I believe has been shipped out).

Return to “Buzz”