Tonight (7/26): US Premiere of Mind Control w/Derren Brown

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Jim Maloney_dup1

Tonight (7/26): US Premiere of Mind Control w/Derren Brown

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 26th, 2007, 8:15 am

Reminder: Tonight is the US premiere of Mind Control with Derren Brown. It will be showing on the SciFi Channel at 10/9 Central.

Derren Brown @ SciFi Channel

About:
Let's Be Glad He's a Good Guy

Already a sensation across the Atlantic, Derren Brown is a mentalist someone who can seemingly read another's mind. Brown seems able to impose his will upon others with little more than a pep talk or a reassuring gesture.

His show certainly is a demonstration of his power of persuasion. It's also a smart send-up of self-help conferences and a debunking of street tricks, frauds and mystical myths.

Brown built his reputation as an amazing mentalist with such mind-blowing setups as:

A random woman answers a ringing pay phone. She listens wordlessly for a couple moments before slumping to the concrete in a deep sleep.

Another stranger is convinced by Brown that the sun has disappeared.

Brown protects his cash-stuffed wallet from being pilfered on a busy sidewalk by putting it down and chalking a ring around it.

Pushing psychological buttons most don't even realize exist, Brown opens windows into how our minds really work. And in Mind Control with Derren Brown, he reveals just enough of his secrets to further intrigue audiences.
-Jim

Re: Tonight (7/26): US Premiere of Mind Control w/Derren Brown

Postby Guest » July 26th, 2007, 3:02 pm

The New York Post gave this show 3 and a half stars!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 26th, 2007, 6:48 pm

It's on in 10 minutes: get to your TVs!!!!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » July 26th, 2007, 7:40 pm

I found him highly likable and clearly many of his mega fans in the US have never seen him perform but heard things because he didn't come off the way they stated. I think he could do well here.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 26th, 2007, 8:35 pm

I thought it was great and I hope it's not too sophisticated for the audience.

Postby Guest » July 26th, 2007, 11:21 pm

great presentations
good personality
"so-so" effects

unfortunetly...won't last

Postby Guest » July 27th, 2007, 1:26 am

He has a nice umbrella.

Bob Baker

Postby Bob Baker » July 27th, 2007, 3:42 am

Terrific show!

Name any other "magic special" or series that even comes close in sophistication and respect for its viewers. One huge difference is that DB is seemingly letting the audience in on the fun while at the same time amazing them. And he pokes fun at himself. What was the last thing he showed? The hot dog vendor calling him an ass****.

Let's hope the audience builds and builds.

Bob

Postby Guest » July 27th, 2007, 5:59 am

Just a terrific show.

This morning I spoke to several laymen who saw it and they loved it. Let's hope it stays around.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 27th, 2007, 9:33 am

I haven't had a chance to watch yet, but I will at some point over the weekend.

Here's a few glowing reviews of the show, however:

Variety
TV Squad
Boston Globe

-Jim

Postby Guest » July 27th, 2007, 9:58 am

"So so effects"??? Really?

Postby Guest » July 27th, 2007, 1:22 pm

I thought the show was terrific! The effects were mind-boggling and his personality and presentations were a breath of fresh air. I really liked how he assured the TV audience that stooges and actors were not used. Great stuff!

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » July 27th, 2007, 1:42 pm

I wonder if most laymen will still attribute the effects to stooges because of the damages already done.

I liked the show though and I really liked Derren's well-spoken presentations. Maybe he can prove that just because you perform on the street doesn't mean you have to sound like a bum on the corner.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 27th, 2007, 1:55 pm

I think people can tell the difference between genuine wonderment and fake reactions.

If they can't then what's the difference?

Postby Guest » July 27th, 2007, 3:43 pm

I liked the show. Although I will have to agree with others here that I don't think it will last. Not enough screaming and yelling by the spectators.

I love the disclaimer at the beginning of the show.

I hope the sophistication of the show will not be lost.

Here's to hoping it makes it.

Postby Guest » July 27th, 2007, 8:43 pm

I've seen a number of the british specials and they are all great, that's why I was suprised to see that 70% of the show is old footage from the english specials. I was hoping that the US shows would be all new stuff.
Still great shows though.

Jeff

Postby Guest » July 27th, 2007, 9:22 pm

I watched it again and like him. If he starts to lag maybe he can work on the abs and cling to his mommy, that seems to work for some.

Postby Guest » July 28th, 2007, 5:09 am

I find it interesting & refreshing that all of the above listed reviewers liked him for his realistic & honest approach.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » July 28th, 2007, 8:32 am

Richard,

You might be giving the average viewer too much credit. Lot of dumb people out there that just grab at the easiest answer.

But I think it went a long way toward establishing honesty and credibility when Brown ended the show by showing when the stunt did NOT work. That helped a lot, I think.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 28th, 2007, 10:07 am

Originally posted by Jeff Pierce:
I've seen a number of the british specials and they are all great, that's why I was suprised to see that 70% of the show is old footage from the english specials. I was hoping that the US shows would be all new stuff.
Still great shows though.

Jeff
That's strange, because I was expecting not to have any new material -- I thought it was simply going to be airing the UK specials. After all, most people here in the US wouldn't be familiar with him or his previous shows.

So, I was happy to see the bits that were filmed in NYC and that area (Palisades mall is just north of NYC, across the Hudson River near the NY/NJ border).

I do agree that including the bit with the hot dog vendor at the end was a good move, which reinforces the "no stooges or actors" disclaimer. I'm curious to see if they'll keep doing that with the other five episodes.

My favorite part was probably the two bits with the conductor. The second one, especially, where the tune slowly forms out of the randomness was brilliant.

Really great stuff...I'm looking forward to the rest of it. I also hope that this is successful enough that it leads to more US work for him and, hopefully, on network TV.

-Jim

Postby Guest » July 28th, 2007, 1:48 pm

Here in the UK, we've seen some broadcasts of DB performing in the US.

So I suspect that 100% of what you're seeing is old footage from UK TV. It might well not be, of course - I don't receive US TV.

But the assumption that some of it is new, based on the fact that some of action is in the US, is mistaken.

Dave

Postby Guest » July 28th, 2007, 1:50 pm

That was a fun show. The work with blank paper and ... well it was fun to watch.

Now that's he's over here I hope he's not going to get a makeover, longer hair with colored streaks and start asking folks to pick a card...

:)

Looking forward to the next episode in a few days.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 28th, 2007, 2:18 pm

Originally posted by Dave Le Fevre:
Here in the UK, we've seen some broadcasts of DB performing in the US.

So I suspect that 100% of what you're seeing is old footage from UK TV. It might well not be, of course - I don't receive US TV.

But the assumption that some of it is new, based on the fact that some of action is in the US, is mistaken.

Dave
Good point, Dave. The New York bits involved paying with blank paper (first for some fish, then more groceries, and finally a diamond ring worth $4500), causing everyone in a mall to raise their hand above their heads, and influencing two advertisers to create some advertisements that matched a prediction he made. Were these same bits also shown in the UK (with the New York location)?

-Jim

Postby Guest » July 28th, 2007, 2:22 pm

I enjoyed the show very much. It actually was fun to watch, unlike another show where the performer is walking on giant screwdrivers. The bit with the blank paper money was excellent and I liked the way he poked fun at himself by showing the hot dog vendor calling him an as#####. I'm glad he didn't have his mother and brother on the show, worrying that he would get paper cuts from the blank money. I'm sorry but MindFreak this season is almost unwatchable. I am so sick of Angel's stooges in the parking lots around Vegas, with him wondering if he should drive his Lamborghini or Bentley. Gimme a Break! I'll bet anyone a buck that this season of MindFreak is his last. The early episodes of MindFreak were cool, but this season sucks, and I don't care if he is running out of material, Its too obvious. Derren Brown has class
and CA could learn a lot from watching this guy.

Postby Guest » July 28th, 2007, 3:03 pm

Originally posted by Jim Maloney:
Originally posted by Dave Le Fevre:
[b] Here in the UK, we've seen some broadcasts of DB performing in the US.

Dave
Good point, Dave. The New York bits involved paying with blank paper (first for some fish, then more groceries, and finally a diamond ring worth $4500), causing everyone in a mall to raise their hand above their heads, and influencing two advertisers to create some advertisements that matched a prediction he made. Were these same bits also shown in the UK (with the New York location)?

-Jim [/b]
I spoke with Andy Nyman about this at the castle.

Its 95% stuff he has done in the UK reshot in the US.

Enjoy!

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » July 28th, 2007, 3:30 pm

Cool, thanks Damian!

-Jim

Postby Guest » July 28th, 2007, 6:56 pm

watched it again and like him. If he starts to lag maybe he can work on the abs and cling to his mommy, that seems to work for some.
Now THAT is funny. :)

Postby Guest » July 28th, 2007, 8:47 pm

Derren is the real deal. This is a guy who can match any cardician and here he is doing a fantastic show on mentalism. His boldness reminds me of David Berglas per the Genii article a couple of months back. I'm really lost on the method to a lot of the effects he did on the show thursday.

I will have to agree, however, with the posts that say the show may not get the ratings. This is an intelligent show and audiences are so dumbed-down that if someone isn't hollering, jumping, and or the camera isn't moving every second, their attention span goes south.

Arnie

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 29th, 2007, 1:12 am

Originally posted by arnie:
This is an intelligent show and audiences are so dumbed-down that if someone isn't hollering, jumping, and or the camera isn't moving every second, their attention span goes south.
I dont know about that. I think most people

Oh man! You should SEE the smokin HOT chick that just walked into Starbucks where Im at! :eek: Its right by the theater where I just saw Harry Potter which, by the way, completely ROCKS!!! Shes going to MELT the ice in my Iced Mocha! By the way, can you believe Starbucks is going to raise their prices?!? :mad: Well, Im outa here: I TiVoed SNL. I know its a repeat, but Snow Patrol is on and Julia Louis-Dreyfus is the host. Shes still pretty cute, but I really miss Sienfeld. :( I think its pretty cool that the guy who played George does magic. You know, Jason Alexander the actor. Not Jason Alexander the magician, which is confusing. :confused: Kind of like how Kevin James the actor and Kevin James the magician are two different people too. Its a bummer that Kevin James (the magician) didnt make it through Americas got talent, but we kinda saw that coming I guess. The hand thing sucked. :rolleyes: But most people who watch TV are idiots anyway. :whack: :whack: :whack:

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » July 29th, 2007, 3:39 am

Dustin -- You should seriously consider cutting down on those Starbucks visits, or at least the extra shots in your grande mocchiatas. And try and get some sleep.

Matt Field

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » July 29th, 2007, 8:10 am

Dustin, Julia gave the commencement address at Northwestern this year. You can catch it on the Northwestern web site. Pretty funny opening and closing.

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2007, 8:16 am

Thank God for Derren Brown.
I've seen many of his UK specials. Derren is a consummate entertainer and I'm very pleased he's finally made his way across the pond.
Brown makes Angel look like a schmuck, though Angel really doesn't need anyone to do that for him. He does a bang-up job all by himself.

If you haven't seen it, hunt down Derren's show titled "Messiah". It was shot entirely in the states, but only aired in the UK.

By the way, if you missed it, the entire first episode is viewable on scifi.com

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2007, 4:13 pm

If not already mentioned:

There's a re-play on SciFi at 11pm ET tonight (Sunday).

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » August 2nd, 2007, 8:17 am

Just noticed that the first episode of Mind Control is available on iTunes for $1.99. You can also get a season pass for $9.99 which will cover all episodes this season (you save $1.95 by ordering the full season).

Episode 2: Lying Car Salesman is on tonight at 10! "Derren sees if he can tell which of three car salesmen are lying about one of the cars they are selling. Plus assorted other prankish segments..."

-Jim

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2007, 11:38 am

I love this show. My wife asked if I knew how he did one of the things, and I replied that I didn't even know what he did, much less how he did it. What a unique, wonderfully creative show.

There is good hope for the show. In Broadcast television, the overriding goal for most shows is not to lose audience. So imagine you have a show that really appeals to, say, 10% of people, but turns off most of the rest, that show will fail, because it will lose audience.

But with niche channels like Sci-Fi, the goal is to pull people in. So if Mind Control strongly appeals to 10% of people, that's a huge number of people who don't already watch Sci-Fi channel. So a show on Sci-Fi (or A&E, HBO, etc.) can be much more quirky and still survive.

I'm not saying this is what will happen (although I do have a prediction written on a business card in an envelope in my pocket), but the normal rules of "network" TV don't apply. I hope so, anyway.

Hey -- he said there are no stooges or actors, but then he did the bit with Simon Pegg, and he's an actor.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » August 20th, 2007, 12:48 pm

Apparently I missed any mention of the fact that the show is now on Wednesdays. That would explain why I couldn't find it last week. At least the episode is available online via scifi.com and iTunes. I'm gonna catch up tonight...

-Jim

Postby Guest » August 20th, 2007, 1:17 pm

I have heard about Derren for some time now and it is a pleasure to finally see him work. I love every aspect of the show and I think it is extremely well produced. Kudos to him and his team. I hope that they have a long run and more seasons to come.
:)

Postby Guest » August 26th, 2007, 7:59 am

My fantasy magic gig is one in which I give the cards to several participants and talk them through the procedures by which they amaze themselves.

This effect by Derren Brown exemplifies that fantasy. It's one of the greatest card effects that I have ever seen. I love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiDIXoIAkcg

It's a shame that his show - the best televised magic show of the 21st century - is ending next week. It is a great delight to see extraordinary magic performed by a charming, well-dressed, intelligent, articulate gentleman. I hope that they bring him back.

Enjoy!

Postby Guest » August 26th, 2007, 9:40 am

Tom, thanks for posting that, it was marvelous!

Postby Guest » August 26th, 2007, 6:19 pm

I too hope they bring back DB for another season.

Return to “Buzz”