Got Juice?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Scott Fridinger

Got Juice?

Postby Scott Fridinger » December 30th, 2004, 8:38 pm

Ok I saw this online and did some looking and I just got to know. The Shade talked about "Juiced Decks" and now they are being sold Check This Out . Is the Juiced Deck a reality or is someone trying to make a buck?

Steve Ehlers

Re: Got Juice?

Postby Steve Ehlers » December 30th, 2004, 10:18 pm

Scott,

There really is such a thing as a juice deck; however, it is not quite the same as the markings that were on the deck in the movie. Generally with a juice deck there is a series of dots or lines on the back and not the image of a card or a number. I hope that makes sense.

Steve

Scott Fridinger

Postby Scott Fridinger » December 31st, 2004, 12:21 am

Thanks Steve! I know I am getting an answer I can trust.

Scott

Postby Guest » January 1st, 2005, 6:10 pm

I have toyed with Juice and it works. The markings are undetectable by anyone who is untrained. As you improve in your skills, you can make the markings fainter and fainter.

The juice I have used works best on an all-over back pattern such as a Red Bee deck. I have not used it on bikes because the system is less effective on these patterns. Since you apply the juice yourself, the markings can be dots, dashes or any other pattern you want. I use straight-up big letters. Belive me it is a fantastic thing.

Try this web site or also available at some magic shops, such as Hank Lee's in Boston, where I got mine.

http://www.matthewroddy.com/juice/

Postby Guest » May 18th, 2005, 12:01 pm

Be careful with the $25 - $30 juice, it not only marks only 3-4 decks (to my knowledge)...but, it is alcohol based and can damage the finish on Bee, Bicycle, Tally-Ho paper based playing cards. Just smell it and you will smell the alcohol.

The $25-$30 juice juice will look great when the card is viewed head on, but, when light hit's the card from an angle, the damaged finish obvious because the marked area looks dull.

Just place a drop of alcohol on a card and then look at the damage buy reflecting light off the card. This is a common problem with all alcohol based juice or luminous solutions.

Also marking cards with a q-tip is a bit hokey and not practical or accurate.

Try www.marked-cards.com - you will get an education about various kinds of marked cards (especially variations of "shade").

Enjoy !

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » May 19th, 2005, 4:45 am

Remember "The Magic Eye" stuff from ten years ago? I always thought it would be cool to manufacture a deck with this type of markings. I guess you would have to train yourself to de-focus your eyes faster, as it always took me minutes to catch the hidden image.

Postby Guest » May 19th, 2005, 5:23 am

It's been done. The problem is that you want a deck that uses a common back design and those "magic eye" decks look strange. Nor am I sure if they are poker sized cards?

If your cards are not Bees, Bicycles, Tally-Ho....they will tend to arouse suspecion. Hence, the advantage of juice.

Not only is juice VERY deceptive, but when used on "normal" cards it will not even arouse suspecion.

Side note: One of the advantages of marking your own cards with juice is that you can start with darker juice markings (sometimes called "tintwork") and then train with lighter and lighter coats, till you can read juice markings with ease.

There are also a few extra tricks to make reading juice easier that I am not willing to discuss here.

Postby Guest » July 17th, 2005, 3:55 pm

I saw a new magic retailer website selling juice decks...Spookclub

try this site for info. There is an FAQ section which says these cards dont suffer from some of the limitations of other juice decks

https://www.spookclub.com/advanced_sear ... ca5cdef4e2

Postby Guest » July 18th, 2005, 2:32 am

Originally posted by MaxNY:
Remember "The Magic Eye" stuff from ten years ago? I always thought it would be cool to manufacture a deck with this type of markings. I guess you would have to train yourself to de-focus your eyes faster, as it always took me minutes to catch the hidden image.
Funny you should mention this.

Yes, 'Magic Eye' cards have been made, but the problem is that they have the typical 'Magic Eye' back design.

I have studied stereograms, and the concept behind them for some time now, and over the past couple of years, I have been working on adapting the theory to a standard Bicycle back design.

As it stands, I can cause certain parts of a Bicycle back to 'jump out' like a Magic Eye picture, but am having issues getting the marks to work.

If you don't know, the basic concept of a stereogram is 2 pictures, seemingly identical, are actually slightly different. One is shot from a minutely different angle than the other. Now if both photos are side by side, and you cross your eyes (look at the left photo with your right eye, and vice versa), as your eyes relax, the 2 images become one, and because of the difference between the 2 photos, the mind percieves depth, creating a 3D image.

The Magic Eye pictures we are accustomed to work in the exact same fashion, but disguise the principle in a repeating pattern, each 'bit' slightly different than the one adjacent to it.

This is a VERY basic explanation, but the idea is there.

It is in the 2 picture example where my problem arises with the Bicycle back design. A Bicycle back design is mirrored, and stereogram images are 'identical'. I have been able to tear a card in 1/2 and have an image appear when the halves are laid side by side, but that is the only way.

Perhaps I will attempt to stereogram a Bee deck... Maybe I would get a bit further...

Sean

Return to “Buzz”