Tannen's Magic

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Jim Maloney_dup1

Re: Tannen's Magic

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » June 27th, 2002, 11:54 am

Originally posted by Tim Brown:
I walked from a hotel in Times Square all the way to Tannen's at their current location...a LONG walk but like I said it was my first trip to Manhattan and I was exploring the city...walked nearly 8 miles that day!)
Ouch! That IS a long walk. The subway was invented for a reason! ;)

-Jim

Postby Guest » June 27th, 2002, 1:19 pm

20 city blocks = 1 mile. That's not so long. What makes it tedious is squeezing past other pedestrians.

George Olson

Postby George Olson » June 27th, 2002, 5:13 pm

I just received this in an e-mail from a friend and thought it might be appropriate:

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.

As he requested, let's try to move on, I totally agree with Dennis, that would be the capper!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 10th, 2002, 5:18 pm

Originally posted by Steven Brown, CEO - Tannen's Magic:
I would like you to field any comments positve/negitive about Tannen's that you have to offer.
Just a quick note... I found the place friendly and met most of the NY who's who there over the years. From Presto and Lou Lancaster to Geoff Latta and David Roth. That's where I found the Ramsay book. They were kind enough to put up with me. (that is saying alot :D )

They did accomedate the closeup crowd, and got us the things we needed from Connie Hayden, Eddie Gibson, those nice large Chinese coins, Al Goshman et al... and carried the small publications of closeup magic.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » December 10th, 2002, 10:03 pm

I have walked 1/8th the amount you did and still got treated poorly by the old management. Lesson learned, why walk retail when you can get wholesale!

Postby Guest » December 11th, 2002, 6:00 am

At the risk of being flamed or whatever...what if Steve were to have bought the stock of Tannen's only to rename it "Steve's Magic Shop?" Instantly, he would have been past all the nonsense that Tannen's was known for in the past.

My point is this: yes, he's going to be tagged with a bit of negative feedback because of years of (real or perceived) misdeeds in the community. But for goodness sake, give the guy a chance! If he screws up on his own...then ding him and ding him hard. But don't visit the sins of the father upon the son...or something like that.

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » December 11th, 2002, 7:51 am

I have already talked to Steve privately, and do not wish to air my gripes nationally... I would like to offer some insight as to how to run a walk-in business better. The counter guys have always left good impressions, several of us remember certain "personality" decades. Tony has always made sure that the person up front was a representative of what Tannens stood for. "Magick" is one of the most informed magic people today. He fits! You gotta dig the rock music they play now on Friday nights. Enough of the older generation. The guys that spend money want a cool trick they can show off at a Bar later.
---Walk 8 miles??? Offer the clients a couch. Jackie's couch should have been retired in the 1950's, but boy did it feel good to sit in. The smaller area Tannen's has now is good, but make it better. I realize you gotta keep the non-spenders off the couch, tough to do.
---Keep people looking, the more time they spend looking, they might be reminded of just what they forgot to buy. I often walk away with two receipts. Just how many cards can your ceiling support? The first day they opened the new place, I got a dollar to stick on the ceiling, it is (outside of business cards) the only different thing on that ceiling. I wish we were all just a little more creative with ceiling hangers. Somebody's keys would be a hoot. A smelly sock... I really used to spend time at 1540 B-Way looking at all of the old B&W glossys. I guess they maybe had their place, but Mostly had a wall, this place in Colorado had a wall of magicians...keep people there looking, and the walk-in counter will remain full.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » December 11th, 2002, 10:38 am

So Max... where does the "New Tannen's" stand on the ethics ladder? :confused:
Stay tooned.

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » December 11th, 2002, 2:59 pm

Magic ethics are too damn complicated. I'm not one to really know. I'm never really looking for new tricks, queit happy with my rep. I go in to buy supplies, and only if I can't get them 2nd dayed by a much cheaper cult.
---I will say this, Magick showed me the ear wax prediction, put my name on a list... weeks later when I asked him if he ever got those in, he said that they decided NOT to purchase the trick from......whoever.

Cesar Munoz

Postby Cesar Munoz » November 20th, 2004, 5:26 pm

I had a really positive customer service experience at Tannens last Thursday night. I had signed up for the Darwin Ortiz lecture, but Mr. Ortiz cancelled a couple of days prior to the lecture because he had come down with a case of the flu.

Tannens turned a potentially negative situation-into what I thought was a very positive one-heres how:

They called everyone to let them know what was happening and how they were trying to resolve it.
They found a replacement lecturer-Oz Pearlman-and by the way-he was fantastic!
For everyone that had paid for the Ortiz lecture-they comped the Pearlman lecture.
They gave everyone the option of a refund or two lectures for the price of one.
When we arrived at Tannens for the Pearlman lecture-there was a free magic trick waiting for us on our chairs (a $20 value!).

When Oz was teaching a trick that involved double faced and double backed cards-Steve Brown and his staff ran around finding cards so that everyone in the audience could follow along.

The icing on the cake was that the atmosphere was one of excitement, sharing and learning. It was a great experience.

Postby Guest » November 23rd, 2004, 6:35 pm

I was at Tannen's last week and I thought the service was pretty good. I asked some technical questions on some obscure thing and I was treated fairly.

Ed

Postby Guest » November 24th, 2004, 1:55 am

I have to second Cesar's words on the new management at Tannen's. I had travelled from the Bronx not knowing that Mr. Ortiz had postponed his lecture. I was disappointed to say the least as I was really looking forward to his lecture.

However, I'd like to say that the way Steve handled things for those who had pre-paid for the Ortiz lecture was very satisfactory. Oz did a very good job with his lecture and it was nice to hear Krenzel talk about "his" moves. Way to go Steve!

Roberto

Nick Maggio

Postby Nick Maggio » November 24th, 2004, 6:14 pm

If a company is still in business since the early 1930's, they must be doing something right. If that business is in retail and in magic and in New York City, they must be almost bullet proof. Tannen's has been my primary magic supplier since the late 50's. I've delt with Lou, Irv , Mike and Tony Spina through the years. It has been and it continues to be an excellent experience for me.

The current owner, Seth and David, his right hand man, are consciensious, courteous and customer service oriented people. It is fun to visit them in their new location just a few blocks from Penn Station,; next door to the former Flosso Magic Shop location.They have been booking top-notch lectures and will be expanding their own magic offerings. This is indeed a full-service magic shop with history and pedigree.

Making it happen in the retail and mail order magic buisness is no walk in the park. It takes a bank roll, dedication, experience and intestinal fortitude to survive. Many, many of the Tannen suppliers are small time and part time entities with limited supply and limited manufacturing capability. They might be the hottest thing this week, but next week they are no where to be found. Of course, Tannen's get the blame for unfilled backorders and uncertain delivery dates. The supply chain is small and unreliable. Surprisingly, Tannen's knows how to do the two-step and keep things flowing as best possible

I'm glad Tannen's is still around giving credibility to the magic community.

Nick Maggio

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » November 25th, 2004, 11:42 pm

I've been a customer of Tannen's off and on for about 30 years or so. I purchased the very first Magic Medallion they sold.

The service has ranged from good to so-so. It depended entirely upon whom I spoke with. If I got hold of Tony Spina, and reminded him that I was a friend of Gene de Jean, that was like being put at the head of the line. He owed Gene a big debt of gratitiude because Gene had made that cutting a girl in thirds illusion he was so fond of.

Recent service has been pretty good. I ordered a set of the Garcia cups from them. They arrived quickly, sans drawstring bag and booklet. I called and asked about this. They replied that the bags had been discontinued, but that the booklet was an oversight, and I had it within a couple of days.

So I have no complaints. I do hope they eliminate the drawstring bag from their ad, though.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » December 7th, 2004, 6:15 pm

Well, it's been a month since I asked them about the drawstring bag, and it's still in the ad.

HMMMM. Is this the ghost of Tannen's past?
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Postby Guest » December 21st, 2004, 4:21 pm

yeah,i just went there this saturday,the main reason i went to new york.to the 15 minute drive from brooklyn, drove around 20 minutes to find parking & another 15 to walk from the car to the shop.nice store,well stocked.that's really all i can say about it.the twoguys there that day(didn't catch names) weren't very helpful(well, one guy was selling, & iv'e worked at shops , so i understand) but no welcome when we walked in,no notihin.."hey you guys wanna see something?" sell me something man!! that's why i'm here...demo & sell, that's why your there.smile like you love it.we skimmed through some old notes & left. i was ready to drop $300 bucks (no bull)that day, i'll wait to i go back to hanks.never again...

Return to “Buzz”