Close-up opening effect

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Randy

Close-up opening effect

Postby Randy » November 20th, 2003, 3:20 pm

Hi Everyone,
Wondering what everybody likes for an opening effect for a close-up set. Something other than a card effect. Something quick & flashy that establishes you as a magician....like a bottle production, etc. What opening effects have you seen that you liked?

Gary Kosnitzky
Favorite Magician: Vazhakunnam Neelakanthan Namboothiri

Re: Close-up opening effect

Postby Gary Kosnitzky » November 21st, 2003, 3:28 am

I have just recently released my version of a classic piece of cigarette magic.It is a great opener.This effect is not only bewildering;it is also inherently amusing and appreciated by non-smokers.I have performed this effect with great success for many years.It looks just like Trick Photography.For your viewing pleasure I invite you to vist us at http://cigaretteupthenose.com/ Enjoy.........
Gary Kosnitzky

Postby Guest » November 21st, 2003, 12:46 pm

Michael Ammar has a great opener where you remove a coin from your open palm and place it on the table and when you reopen your hand, another one is there. You repeat that until you have four coins on the table to begin a coin routine. I love using that.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Have you paid us a visit lately?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 21st, 2003, 4:08 pm

Randy, a bottle production is NOT an opening effect. It is too strong and gives the audience too much at the beginning. It is more properly used as a climax to a trick.
The coin routine of Ammar's that Paul Alberstat is referring to is called "Sonic Squeeze" (I think) and was published in "Richard's Almanac."
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » November 22nd, 2003, 8:47 am

I frequently open with my routine "Balls" ... using small rubber balls, it's a fast paced (90 seconds) of appearances, vanishes, color changes with a nice climax that can be performed silently or with patter ... it is pure sleight of hand and establishes skill and my goal is that the viewer will think "Hey this guy is pretty interesting ... let me give him my full attention".
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » November 22nd, 2003, 9:03 am

I either ask to borrow a penny (to do a C/S with dollar and giant penny) -- or -- the Edeward Victor Bat Trick.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » November 24th, 2003, 9:54 am

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
I either ask to borrow a penny (to do a C/S with dollar and giant penny) -- or -- the Edeward Victor Bat Trick.
Sponge balls or a one-coin trick with a change to giant chinese coin finish works for me.

With the sponge balls I do a strange finish where it changes to a small globe as part of a gag mindreading bit, too.

Hope this helps!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com

Ricky Difeo

Postby Ricky Difeo » November 24th, 2003, 10:58 am

I like as openner trick - Shriek of the Mutilates of John Bannon (torn and restored cigarette paper) is very magical.-

Ricardo Difeo ;)

Postby Guest » November 24th, 2003, 11:18 am

Walk-Around/Strolling Opening Effects:

Silk Vanish, Sponge Ball Routine (Dean Dill's Spotlight), or a One Coin Routine with a Jumbo Coin Kicker (lately I've been using a nice gold plated Chinese coin that has a matching gold plated jumbo coin which I got from Joe Stevens).

Formal Close-Up Opening Effects:

I think that productions work very well here: Drink and Magic Wand Productions. :)

Postby Guest » March 28th, 2004, 9:17 pm

I open with a card routine that is fun and uses great misdirection. Card in jalapeno. Randy Gastreich. Whats happening. Long time no see.

Frank Starsinic

Postby Frank Starsinic » March 28th, 2004, 9:43 pm

If not cards, then more often than not, I use spongeballs.

They are simple to understand, magical, and colorful. I think that audience participation is very important but for an opening effect it should be limited. Spongeballs fit the bill nicely there.

What more can you ask for.

Frank

Postby Guest » March 29th, 2004, 7:02 am

For years I opened with All Screwed Up - a one in the pocket/two in the hand routine with nuts and bolts but lately I've been opening with the bounce/no bounce balls. Richard - not that I disagree with you but can you tell us more about your rationale for not using the bottle production as an opener? Would you use it as an opener for a platform routine? Thank you.

Postby Guest » March 29th, 2004, 7:27 am

Johnny Ace Palmer opens his act with a bottle opener and then a bottle. Works for him. In fact the grand prix at Fism

Postby Guest » March 29th, 2004, 9:24 am

Didn't Michael Ammar also win first place (not the Grand Prix) at FISM using a bottle opener? I believe he also got "magician of the year" at the Magic Castle with his FISM act.

Chaz Misenheimer

Postby Chaz Misenheimer » March 29th, 2004, 1:54 pm

In Secrets and Mysteries for the Close-Up Entertainer, Eugene Burger discusses an opening sponge ball routine. Included are some really good thoughts about the opening scenario. You might also check out the Magic Menu (Jim Sisti) for a variety of approaches to openers.

Postby Guest » March 29th, 2004, 3:47 pm

I like the sponge balls from the purse frame. It is definitely an attention getting opener. Plus, it involves two spectators right from the start.

Christopher Starr

Postby Christopher Starr » April 4th, 2004, 3:14 pm

I won't claim credit for the idea, but I have used it for years. I like to open on a group with color changing pocket knife. I approach a group and ask, "Did anyone here lose a white pocket knife"? When they repsond no, I then do the color change and ask, "ok, did anyone lose a red pocket knife"? Usually gets a good response, and doesn't seem to be done much these days, at least from what I read.

-CS

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 4th, 2004, 5:11 pm

The bit about the pocket knife is Ron Wilson's from my book, The Uncanny Scot.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » April 4th, 2004, 9:38 pm

I save the sponges (actually, Mike Rogers' sponge bunnies) for the closer.

Jeff

Postby Guest » April 5th, 2004, 3:57 am

I open very different when I work restaurants than when I'm hired for a company. In the latter case, they already know I'm a magician. In the restaurant, I have to show them that I'm a magician, and I have maybe 30 seconds to do so. Here's my opener, published for the first time:
I go up to the table and announce "did you know that Restaurant X has hired a magician? Not one of those ordinary ones that produce coins from the specators ear" - at this point, I actually do produce a coin from a spectators ear - "nay, they decided to go for something completely different - one that produces ears from the spectators coin!" - at that point, I produce a live size rubber ear from the coin, in a standard spellbound manner.
Now, I can safely ask if they want some complimentary entertainment, because they know I'm a magician. If I get a yes, I continue with a coin trick.
I've given a lot of thought to the subject on opening effect. Since I work afternoons (5pm - 8pm) there's often kids at the table, so I wanted to open with an effect, that's magical for both kids and their parents. Also, I didn't want to introduce odd props - it had to be ordinary objects. I used to open with Gregory Wilsons "recap" but once I found myself without my pen, so I just did my pet coin effect. And - I got a great reaction from both kids and adults. So I used that effect as an opener (right after the "ear" gag) the rest of the evening. Now, it's my one of my favorite opening effects when I work restaurants. It turns out, that kids can instantly relate to coins, and find a "coins across" quite magical. This was actually a surpice to me, because coin magic is so different from what children magic is usually all about (disclaimer: I don't do magic for kids, and my sole experience in that area is from table hopping). I do a standard coins across, where the coins fall down in the spectator (the kids) hands. As we all know, this is a great trick for adults. But if I let the kid blow on the hand so *they* make the coin fly, they all of a sudden gets very interested and involved. "Look mom! I made the coin travel from hand to hand!". Thusly, I have a trick that satisfies both youngsters and adults.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 5th, 2004, 5:30 am

Originally posted by Randy Gastreich:
Hi Everyone,
Wondering what everybody likes for an opening effect for a close-up set. Something other than a card effect. Something quick & flashy that establishes you as a magician....like a bottle production, etc. What opening effects have you seen that you liked?
Always, always, always a VERY quick two ball sponge ball routine.

Magic happens really quickly, ends with them having two balls in their hand. (wa-hay)

I don't know the origination, but Dom Twose in the UK taught it to me.

Michel Huot

Postby Michel Huot » April 5th, 2004, 1:48 pm

I agree 100% with mgoat

that is what I always do..
it's quick and it tells them you are not a typical goofy uncle that bothers everyone at christmas...

I always do it with humor, this way, they know they will see good magic with a guy that doesn't take himself ytoo seriously...

Postby Guest » April 14th, 2004, 12:52 pm

I like to open my close-up set with Robert Harbin's Zig Zag, and follow it up with Run Rabbit Run.....I think Pete Biro will agree that these are all solid routines, and much better than a simple coin trick or 2 sponge ball routine.

As always "Pass" w/care...

-Rick :D :D :D

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 14th, 2004, 4:38 pm

The only problem with the Zig Zag in restaurant gigs is the castors get caught up in the french fries all the time... :whack:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » April 15th, 2004, 4:59 am

Fay Presto of England actually DOES do the zig zag in restaurant walk around!
I saw it in a TV documentary.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 15th, 2004, 9:06 am

Last night in a restaurant I opened with the Bowl Routine (with sponge balls, of course) and it went so well, I closed with it. IE: I decided not to do anymore as I had fried the brains of those at the table. :eek:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » December 27th, 2004, 11:01 am

I'm coming from a table hoping perspective-Generally I don't like to do anything that will require the spectators to physically interact with me. That is, I do a trick where they my glimpse a card, but not one where they actually have to take one.
I think there are two times it's easy to be rude 1. When you know someone well and 2. When you don't know them at all.
So I try to talk to the people first. Find out if they've had a good experience so far. You may find out they're not in the mood, you may find out someone at the table is in a position to hire you, you might even just have a great little conversation and leave!
Using a brief dialog as an opener makes people feel like they might to be part of the experience, instead of being a spectator.
A great opener is Paul Harris' vanishing deck-It's quick, amazing, and requires little effort or investment on the part of the audience. If they were "half" looking at first, they will pert up a bit after you hit them with it.
Happy hunting!

Randy

Postby Randy » December 27th, 2004, 11:39 am

Thank you all for your input. Great ideas. I do have a bottle production at the end of an opening coin routine for more formal settings but all of your ideas for walk-around openers are great. Producing an ear from a coin is a very clever idea and everyone gets the joke. Thanks again. And Danny Magic, I hope to see you at the Castle in the next couple of weeks.

Postby Guest » December 30th, 2004, 10:50 am

As a magician, people expect you to have a rabbit or two. You can't do much better for an opener than to do Slydini's 'Paper Balls Over The Head' with live, freshly-skinned baby rabbits. The spectators shriek, I imagine with delight, when I first take them out of my close-up bag and then really go crazy when I start throwing them around--- probably because they know my chosen 'victim' is unaware I'm doing it. Plus, from a methodological standpoint, having the rabbits skinned enables them to stick to the wall behind me so that the spectator doesn't see them scattered on the floor afterward. Too, after a couple of "vanishes" I'm left with a red residue on my hands which is just perfect for use as daub in a 'miracle' card location that simply can't be reconstructed by anyone not in the know. The stuff is also tacky enough that it can be used for any of those double-stick-tape effects that are so popular nowadays. I have kept this to myself for a number of years but have decided to give back to the magical fraternity instead of just taking from it. Use it with my best wishes.

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » December 30th, 2004, 12:24 pm

Wow, I can't believe Dan is releasing this! This is a killer opening, and sometimes it's all you need to do.

Of course, what really makes this is Dan's rhyming patter...will you be releasing that?

Randy

Postby Randy » December 30th, 2004, 1:31 pm

Thanks Dan. I was just working out a method of clubbing a baby seal with my magic wand but you have inspired me to think outside the box.

Postby Guest » December 31st, 2004, 8:36 am

Gosh Curtis...I wasn't planning to do that but since I've had so many emails bombarding me (mostly from folks who saw me do it on my Slovenian TV special) I guess I'll tip it.

Here's something different and clever and funny,
A slimy and oozing and slippery bunny.
His inside is outside and outside is in,
Mr. Longears is naked and stripped of his skin.
Now watch very closely--don't sneeze or yawn
Because quick as a flash the [censored] is gone.
Yet I have another one here in my bag
(Have you noticed it's Gucci? Perhaps I'm a fag.)
Maybe I'm crazy and gone round the bend
but my whole rabbit family has also been skinned.
Here comes slimy Mama-- isn't she cute?
But--poof!-- she is gone like her pelleted poot.
Maybe you'd rather meet Junior instead,
He's gone! (Maybe this trick is over your head.)
Four sisters and brothers I now will compress
mashed in a Leporidae-incestual mess.
This big ball of rabbits is what you should watch
so please keep your eyes off my sizable crotch.
A clap and a shout and the bunnies are gone!
They're out shopping for coats and fur to put on!
Thanks for helping me out, I love being tricky.
I would shake your hand but mine's pretty sticky.

Postby Guest » January 9th, 2005, 11:58 am

ROFL !

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 10th, 2005, 5:51 am

Originally posted by Martonikus:
ROFL !
I am appaled with this and you Dan.

I thought we had a deal?

You sold me 'exclusive' rights to do this at my kids' shows.

And now this.

You are as bad as magic makers.

Postby Guest » January 11th, 2005, 1:45 pm

You paid for the exclusive rights and you got them. No one else but you is allowed to perform this at any of your kid shows. Other people, having also paid for the exclusive rights, are the only ones allowed to perform it at theirs.

Nice to see you're still doing it for the children. A black and white photo of a happy child loving on a skinned rabbit makes a great Easter card (people assume the smears are chocolate.)

Postby Guest » January 11th, 2005, 4:31 pm

At some future show, my audience will think I've gone round the bend: I'll be in the middle of my opener when without warning I'll collapse on the floor in uncontrollable laughter. My lawyer will give you a call, Mr. Huffman.

David Acer

Postby David Acer » January 11th, 2005, 7:39 pm

Chad Long's routine for the Bounce/No Bounce Balls is one of the funniest, quickest, easiest magical openers I've ever seen. It's called "Thud", and you can find it on "The New Chad Long Video."
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer

Postby Guest » January 25th, 2005, 8:25 am

In Reply to Richards Comment regarding a Bottle Prodution not being a good opener, I agree. Not to say it can't be forced to work, but in general its too strong for the opening effect. I use to open with a full glass of liquid prodution... and I could never figure out why I didn't get any response. (I latter learned to wait and it would come) What was happening was I just nailed them over the head with a hammer and they were in stunned silence. I know the effect was appriciated by the audience because all I heard afterward was "where did that glass come from?" (now this was a stand up show and 40min had past and people still remembered the opener) Anyway, I now open with a "Personality peice which warms the audience up to me... the magics still strong, but now the audience response warmly and its a much better start to the show.

Mike Goeller

P.S.- when I'm doing walk around (restaurant) I open with the purse frame into a sponge ball routine with lots of interaction and personal contact... but I'm considering swithing to Dan's bunny trick. (Cutis Kam... I really enjoyed your lecture at Denny & Lee's... Don't get shot.)

Return to “Buzz”