Satanic Booktest now SHIPPING!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Brad Henderson

Satanic Booktest now SHIPPING!

Postby Brad Henderson » March 8th, 2004, 2:09 pm

As some of you know, I have released my signature booktest to the magic world. This was the piece I featured at LVMI 2003 and OKC Calvacade 2002. It is extremely topical, playing as it does into the Martha Stewart phenomenon, but has legs that will last beyond the brouhaha of the trial. I have been performing this piece since 2000.

I have written up every word, every nuance, every move into a 21 page photo illustrated manual. You get every thought you need to add this 8 minute comedy presentation to your act. All you need is make a quick stop at the local bookstore, and a few minutes of preparation, and you are in business.

Here are some quote from those who have seen it:

"Finally! A book test that's not only mysteriously fooling, but wholly entertaining. The room fell with laughter as Brad performed his Satanic Book Test. Later, it was the talk of the night as we tried to figure out how he did it...to no avail. This one is my absolute favorite!" - Lance Pierce

In offering his"Satanic" Booktest to the fraternity at large, Brad Henderson has not only given up his most cherished signature performance piece, but he insures that the seasoned worker has all the elements at hand to guarantee spontaneous laughter and mind-numbing astonishment. Look no further for the perfect closer!" - Roger Klause

How much are eight minutes of hilarious, professional, totally thought out for you, drop it into your show, topical brain frying mentalism worth?
Mother of All Booktests..................$350.00
Insight.................................$200.00
The Satanic Comedy Book Test............Priceless
(actually its only $50)

This purchase is a no brainer. No expensive replacements and it went right into my show. - Bob Kohler

A highly interactive, fast paced and very funny routine. A wonderfully topical addition to a working performers A-list material. - Steve Bedwell

$50 US. (+ $5 shipping domestic) Paypal links and more information at www.bradhenderson.com/booktest.htm

Thanks!

Brad

opie

Re: Satanic Booktest now SHIPPING!

Postby opie » March 9th, 2004, 9:48 am

Fifty Dollars for a book test? Hey, there are several in the Dover collections for less than ten bucks and a couple free on the Learned Pig dot com....

A comedy routine? Brad, I have known you for years and have never seen you do any comedy, except for somebody else's Four Fly Trick...

I look forward to seeing you perform your book test at our local meeting....

opie

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 9th, 2004, 11:47 am

Thanks for your kind words Opie.

For one, I did perform this at a local meeting about a year or so back. It was in part because of the requests made by the membership (and those who saw it at LVMI, McBride's Mysterium, TAOM, the Unconventional Convention, and the Calvacade) that led me to the decision to release it. In point of fact, you know I don't usually share my best material at Ring meetings as a measure of protecting both my original ideas and those I have dug up. Nothing hurts more than to see someone local thoughtlessly "borrow" a baby.

As to the price of booktests, I hope the performers in this group realize the difference between learning a way to determine a word, and obtaining a full 8 minute, scripted and blocked routine filled with audience tested laugh lines and a magical surprise finale. Further, unlike the Dover texts, you are getting every nuance that has been worked out in hundreds of performances since 2000. When asking advice from those in the field I respect, the numbers tossed around were more in keeping with the current popular booktests, specifically $250-350. I felt $50 for a full 8 minute act was a bargain to someone actually doing shows, who wanted to add a killer, topical routine that would bring down the house. I also thought it would discourage piracy.

From Opie: "A comedy routine? Brad, I have known you for years and have never seen you do any comedy, except for somebody else's Four Fly Trick..."
As to the fly trick, that was published in the New Invocation and was one of my favorite pieces when I was younger and needed attention. (I think most gross out effects using bugs and the like are a cheap way to garner "reactions" albeit not very high minded ones. I am glad I have grown out of the need to foist that on my audiences.) I have ALWAYS credited Paul Britt (though I developed the script a tad further myself, for the record it was called The Wrath of Renfield - not the "Four Fly trick"), even when you started performing the piece after having seem me do it. I did thank you for ceasing upon my request. As you know, I think performers should not lift other's routines even if they are in print somewhere else. There is more than enough magic to go around, that we don't need to use other's acts as tools for researching our own show. And with offerings like the Satanic Booktest, you don't need to. I am offering a piece of my act others can perform with complete permission. Further, nothing has been held back because I want them to be successful. Afterall, I want my baby to grow up nicely.

Finally, as for comedy, you may have forgotten the fact that I, along with my performing partner at the time Brian Brushwood, won the TAOM comedy magic award in Lubbock. In fact, we performed our act at the banquet that year. I have a tape of it. I think I see you in the audience.

I was also a co-writer for the Comedy in Motion troupe that presented customized corporate comedy routines throughout the US. Finally, I have headlined the Bad Dog Comedy Club with my one man show (where I featured the Satanic Book Test), and had a hand in the midnight blue acts featured at Capital City Comedy Club when the series first began.

So, even though you have never seen me do comedy, doesn't mean that I haven't nor can't.

For those who feel Opie's post raises questions, I ask that you merely check out the quotes found on www.bradhenderson.com/booktest.htm

Thanks for giving me the chance to respond.

opie

Postby opie » March 9th, 2004, 12:43 pm

Actually, Brad...I have done the fly trick once, this past Christmas when somebody gave me a bunch of plastic flies and asked me if I could do something with them. I did, after mentioning that I saw you do it...I have described your performance of the effect to many people, on several occasions, since I think you do a wonderful job with it.
And I do love my Roach trick, and I am 65 years old; must be going through my second childhood...You should try it; being a kid is fun...
I do recall the TAOM award that you and Brian received; Brushwood truely is funny....Still, I cannot believe that over the years, I have not seen you do but one funny bit...I look forward to seeing your book test...(I don't have a book test; maybe I will come up with something after I see yours...hehe)
Oh, yeah...almost forgot to respond to your comments about the price of your trick...Let's see? Oh yeah, "Fifty dollars for a book test? Hey, there are several in the Dover collections for less than ten bucks and a couple free on the Learned Pig dot com..."
I am a little upset at one of your recent e mails; you really need to stop that....opie

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » March 9th, 2004, 1:04 pm

I haven't seen Brad's routine but if it is a scripted professional presentation it is indeed worth more than the asking price.

I recall Ken Brooke's original ad for Johnny Thompson's Nemo 1500. Ken figured the routine and the experience behind it were worth 1480 pounds plus 20 pounds for the props. Realising what cheapskates magicians are Ken gave the routine free and sold Nemo 1500 for 20 pounds, which was a lot of money in the early 70's.

Practical, real world material is worth it's weight in gold to the pro or semi-pro, to the amateur and hobbyist it's of minimal interest.

Opie, your remarks sound more like petty backbiting than helpful or constructive comments for those of us unfamiliar with the product.

opie

Postby opie » March 9th, 2004, 1:14 pm

Quinton, I seriously have seen no book test worth fifty bucks...I guess it is the old-world Scotch-Irish in me...

I will do a little research on book tests and see if there are any 50 dollar original ideas in Brad's effect....

My biggest chuckle about the whole thing is that Brad could on any day of the year stay within 8 minutes doing anything...

Best regards...You do a good job looking after folks.

opie

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 9th, 2004, 1:30 pm

To the board, I'm sorry this post had devolved in the way it has.

Opie, I have no idea what email you are talking about. Second, I think Brian is a stand up of enough guy to say that our routines were written together, with the combination of our visions. It was not the Brian show with Brad, nor the Brad show with Brian. I would think he would also agree that we both learned a lot about magic from the time we shared together. Third, my routines are longer than most magicians. My real world audiences seem to enjoy them quite a lot. In fact, your compeers at the SAM assembly were equally complimentary. Finally, I do not share my best material at the "magic club." I think you will find that many of the professionals on here do the same. We have learned from experience that it is not advantageous to our artistic visions to do so.

And thank you Quentin. It was a pleasure speaking with you at WMS and I feel the same way, hence my desire to release the effect. Opie is being rude, I feel. If he had seen the routine, or had purchased it, I would stand by his right to his opinions. I feel however as if he is only attempting to malign me personally. Oh well. It worries me not.

I stand by the responses received from my audiences and from the accolades graciously given by my peers in magic.

opie

Postby opie » March 9th, 2004, 1:39 pm

Brad,

I am indeed sorry if you took my original post as being rude. If you will visit other forums, you will notice that I really am not sold on high-priced tricks, as I know that most of them are just rehashes of old effects. I don't know about your book test; that is the reason I said that I look forward to seeing it. Again, it may even make me want to come up with a book test too.

I do not want to further lead people into believing that I wanted to say anything more than that the book seems a little high and that I just have not, in many years of knowing you, seen you do anything funny except the fly trick.

See you around....opie

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 9th, 2004, 2:55 pm

I didn't know I was required to share the entirety of my repertoire with you. Again, I refer people to those in our community who have seen a larger variety of my work: Steve Bedwell, Bob Kohler, Eric DeCamps, Roger Klause, Bob White, Banacheck, Scott Wells, Lance Pierce, Glenn Farrington, Jon Armstrong, Eugene Burger, Max Maven or Jeff McBride. Or you can listen to Opie.

opie

Postby opie » March 9th, 2004, 3:07 pm

Brad,

If there is anything I know for sure, at my age, it is that I do not nor have I ever wanted to see your entire repertoire. I aged two hours when I saw your fifteen-minute Haunted Key Routine.

Once again, I am not here to do anything except say what I said in the first post. To recap: There are cheaper versions of book tests; you are not funny; I want to see the book test...You are the one who is being defensive...

You have some friends who are wonderful magicians. They have some good stuff...

I REALLY look forward to seeing your book test...What more do you want me to say? Hopefully nada, because I am outta here...

opie

Jeffrey Cowan
Favorite Magician: Bob Kohler & Tim Conover

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » March 9th, 2004, 3:08 pm

I saw Brad perform the booktest last year. It's one of the most commercial and entertaining mental effects I've ever seen. Period. End of story.
-- Jeffrey Cowan
PS: And I've seen more than a few mental routines in my day. . .
-- Jeffrey Cowan
www.cowan-law.com

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 9th, 2004, 4:17 pm

Thank you Opie for telling me I am not funny.

And Thanks Jeffrey, your words were both kind and comforting. I appreciate comments from someone who has actually seen the routine in question. Your praise is sincerely valued.

opie

Postby opie » March 9th, 2004, 4:23 pm

You ARE funny......opie

David Rowyn

Postby David Rowyn » March 9th, 2004, 7:14 pm

The two points that seem be permeating this thread are whether or not the price is justified and whether or not Brad is funny.

Firstly, I'd like to say that $50 is NOT in the high priced range. At $1000, the Devil's Cola Bottle would be closer to the mark. However, I do understand how some people feel the price of something is the most important factor, and that's why they buy their clothes from wal-mart. For these people, paying $50 for 20-30 pages of text doesn't make sense to them; and therefore, The Satanic Book Test is not for them based on price alone.

But value is so much different from price, and Quentin hit it on the head when he said (allow me to paraphrase) that real world material that will go into your act is priceless. Therefore, 6-8 minutes of solid material for your stand up/stage is worth hundreds, thousands even.

Now, having seen Brad perform this on more than one occasion, I can say that the value exceeds the price. When Brad mentions nuance, it probably reads like another way of saying presentation, but it's much more. Brad can recognize and create those tiny details that take a good effect and make it great. One of those details can be found in the page selection process, and it's one of those things where you feel $50 richer after reading it. In other words, if you're concerned about money, you get your money's worth...many times over. Remember, you're not paying for a crazy new method. You're paying for a professional and polished presentational piece which of course includes a method.

Then there is the issue of whether Brad is funny. I find this little back and forth rather amusing, so I suppose that counts for something. But seriously, Brad isn't a stand up comedian, but I've seen him mull over a single line in his performance more than once, and this is why he's written and delivered many lines of comedy that get excellent responses; therefore, I think it's safe to say that many people find humorous the parts Brad designed to be humorous. Besides, what's funny varies from person to person. Keeping that in mind with Brad and Opie, I think either could say the funniest thing in the world and the other wouldn't laugh.

Bottom line: Brad can write and deliver comedy and for the value recieved, $50 is a bargain.

// David Rowyn

Postby Guest » March 9th, 2004, 7:20 pm

Brad picked my girlfriend (Stacy) for his booktest routine at LVMI 2003. It was a VERY funny routine, afterwards MANY magicians stop and ask her if she knew how the booktest was done or if she was a stooge.

Brad, Stacy and I both had a great time, one of the highlights of LVMI for us. Thanks again.

I have a pic of Brad performing this routine on my website www.magicalmystries.com

Joe

Steve V

Postby Steve V » March 9th, 2004, 7:22 pm

What a bizarre thread....
Steve V
Steve V

opie

Postby opie » March 9th, 2004, 10:59 pm

Rowyn, I think you may have zeroed in on the problem....Brad has such a special personality that the routines he develops and perfects are almost useless for anybody except a slighly chunky guy in a rumpled suit who stands up and presents his incredible magic in the most academic, professorial manner. He does remind me of some of my old college profs who occasionally tossed a "joke" out; most were groaners.

Now, in all fairness to Brad, the trick might make it, if he can somehow revise the theme to something like "The Passion" and change the cover to a charging Knight of Right (KOR), instead of Satan or whoever his buddy is on the cover. I already have pics planned to submit for his consideration.

I guess my point is that not very many people are going to be able to put over Brad's magic. They are not him. So, what he is offering matches his personality and should be priced according to how many people are expected to be able to adapt his style (and who would want to do that?)

I came on here to call attention to his trick and stir up a little discussion about it; unfortunately, there don't appear to be many people who are saying that their check is in the mail..There are those who say it is a good trick, but not that many pumping out 50 bucks....Most will shop around and check out alternative methods, before purchasing, if they purchase.

Perhaps somebody can come up with a promotional program which will help sell a "one-man trick", with a Satan cover, to the mainstream mentalism crowd and hopefully spill over some sales into the club/college areas. But there are some problems...

The freak stuff was really popular a year or so ago, and Blaine and other strange people enticed young people into getting into the strange areas. Unfortunately, the prices for the crap immediately skyrocketed and many would-be young weird performers either got outpriced or lost interest.

My bottom line recommendation would be to sell the sucker at about 25 bucks, with a hell of a promotion overseas.

That's about all of my two cents....opie

Terry

Postby Terry » March 10th, 2004, 5:46 am

Opie,

Fine, we understand you won't buy Brad's offering and that you may not like him or his comedy. To continue spewing out your negativity just makes you look like a blowhard. Give it and the bandwidth a rest.

Brad did his book test at the 2002 Ring 198 Unconventional Convention and killed with it. *Warning* though, it will clear the room of girl scouts.

To further explain, the Saturday night show is open to the guests of the Cumberland Falls Dupont Lodge. There happened to be a girl scout/brownie retreat, so they attended. Brad starts the book test with a certain "book" and the den mother cleared the room!

Wouldn't do this effect at a church social, but then, it's not intended for that audience. :D

opie

Postby opie » March 10th, 2004, 6:03 am

Hey Ter,

I have been trying to quit posting, but people keep posting something that baits my responses...I will quit after this one, unless I am further baited.

I agree with you that the trick is not for every audience, and I agree with you that Brad very well may scare Girl Scouts....

opie

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 10th, 2004, 8:46 am

For potential buyers I must clear up some mis information.

One, the trick can be played by anyone. If I didn't think that was the case, I would not have released it. Any personality can deliver the lines, though the opening set up is best delivered professorally, as nboted in the performance notes. After those three line units, the performer need only be themselves.

Second, there are a lot of touches that can be applied to a myriad of tricks. One audience handling tip was shared with Mr. Steve Bedwell and he said it was worth $400 for that idea alone. Of course, that's only one man's opinion.

Third, it is neither a "Blaine," "freak," nor Bizarre piece. It attempts to solve one of the standard booktest problems, which is "why a book?" Aside for its ability to generate random words, I think books hold power. Hence I have chosen to use the three most evil books ever written, and that is the plot line which allows for the satire found in the piece.

Fourth, there are conflicting accounts of the girl scout incident, though I am more than happy to accept Terry's. One attendee spoke with the den mother and was told that they had a meeting they were due at. That may or may not be true, I may have cleared the room. It is not a girl scout trick, but I have performed it successfully at corporate events and even for one religious organization. They thought it was hilarious. The piece is a satire on evil books, it is not a black mass.

Of course, please bear in mind that Opie has never seen the piece performed or read the script. I only ask potential buyers take that into account as they contemplate their decision and try to figure out Opie's motivations for hurting my potential sales. For the record, this is not the first time Opie has attacked me personally on this forum or in private. The first attack was deleted by Dustin some months back. Suffice it to say, I am used to this behavior and I thank the many of you who have sent emails consoling me.

Finally, sales have been great. In fact, orders shipped Monday to both purchasers and distributers. Personally, I have only 50 units remaining to sell. I thank everyone here for their support and kindness, and to all of you who saw the piece and were my advanced purchasers.

opie

Postby opie » March 10th, 2004, 9:23 am

You are quite welcome, Brad....I am sure the little tiffs here will help your sales....No charge, man....anytime you need me to help, let me know....

whoops! I meant to send this on a e mail....opie

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » March 10th, 2004, 10:15 am

Opie -- Just because Mark Lewis keeps getting unregistered, doesn't mean that the position is open for someone else. Give it a rest.

opie

Postby opie » March 10th, 2004, 11:43 am

Thank you sir....I do need the rest; just had a double hernia operation, and it seems like I cannot even try to be nice to people, without getting their testosteron up...hmmm...

I guess if I had written a formal review, my non-critical comments would have been okay. As it is, informally, I cannot even say that I think the thing is overpriced. I thought this was the Genii forum where things are told like they are (even though the comments are not directed at the product, other than price). I guess I will go over to the Magic Cafe and see if anybody bad mouthed my buddy's trick...

I already apologized to Brad for expressing my opinion that his product is overpriced and that I don't think he is funny.

...but that is just my opinion; I could be wrong...

opie

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 10th, 2004, 1:56 pm

Lest anyone think by Opie's post:
You are quite welcome, Brad....I am sure the little tiffs here will help your sales....No charge, man....anytime you need me to help, let me know...whoops! I meant to send this on a e mail....opie
that this battle is in any way contrived to help sales, please know that I have not ever asked Opie for any help in this matter, nor will I. Just didn't want someone to take it the wrong way. (I will also add that the "email" reference may be due to the fact I have had to take the precaution of sending Opie's threatening, private emails directed to me to our club roster email list in order to protect myself from threats, veiled and unveiled, being made. I felt at the time that the only way to protect myself was to be sure that others knew what he was saying to me, having warned him that this was the course of action I would take. I have also blocked his phone calls. So, maybe this clears things up for some of you following this little saga.)

And, yet again, I think I should point out to all that while Opie is entitled to his opinion on the worth of the routine, that opinion would carry weight if he had either seen the routine or had purchased it. He has neither. I know where every copy of the Booktest is at the moment, and none are in his hands. So, please read Opie's opinions knowing that it is personally motivated and is, at the present moment, in no way based on experience with the product under consideration.

Sorry to everyone for having to continually clean up after Opie's uninformed attempts to malign my work.

For opinions of those who have actually purchased the effect, please visit:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... &forum=109

opie

Postby opie » March 10th, 2004, 2:32 pm

tsk tsk....(Brad has a vivid imagination....) The only slamming I see here is by you, Brad...

Folks: Don't believe everything you hear or read...I am a retired military officer and college teacher....Surely I would not SPAM or make crank calls to anybody....I talked to Brad on the phone a year or so ago when I jumped onto him for interloping into our SAM meetings...I told him there would be no problems, if he would either stay away or join. Then, I come on here and make a comment that he is selling a trick for fifty bucks that does not even have the required materials with it and contains nothing radically new except his "comedy" material, and I am attacked...

Sorry about that....

opie

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » March 10th, 2004, 4:14 pm

I'm always amazed how I can walk into a thread with a smile on my face and then read it with my mouth open in disbelief.

Gotta love the internet, everyones got a soapbox.

Well my two cents. I saw Brad do this at LVMI. At first I did not know how to take it, by the time it was done he fooled me and had me in stitches.

Great commercial effect. And Brad is very funny. But what do I know about funny, besides my years as a stand-up in clubs and numerous tv and cable shows. If you want to know funny...speak to David Blaine...now that guy is funny.

And it is absolutely worth $50 to a working pro, who frankly should be the only one interested in this. Is it worth it to the dedicated amateur. Sure, but he's selling you a tool to make your act more powerful and more commercial. It belongs in the hands of people who can use it and find a return on their investment.

I'd write more, but I have to go clean my daughters spit up off my new shirt.
Comedy's Easy...Dying Sucks.

John Smetana

Postby John Smetana » March 10th, 2004, 4:40 pm

If this performance piece works for you then $50 is a mere pittance..if you're not going to do it..it ain't worth a nickel. But then isn't it the same with every effect we purchase?

Best thoughts,
John Smetana

Postby Guest » March 10th, 2004, 4:50 pm

When I was a teenager working in an ice cream store there was this old guy who came in about once a week. He was always pissed off about something to the point where he'd take it out on the youngsters working at the shop. At first it was disconcerting because his beligerence and verbal abuse were totally unwarranted. However, I soon realized that some folks are simply mad at the world: Misery loves company.

Anyways, I haven't seen this particular book test in action, and I've never been interested in learning a book test; but this routine seems like something that I should investigate further. :)

Postby Guest » March 10th, 2004, 4:56 pm

The audacity and ignorance of people amaze me.

Opie wrote the following:
"I guess if I had written a formal review, my non-critical comments would have been okay. As it is, informally, I cannot even say that I think the thing is overpriced. I thought this was the Genii forum where things are told like they are (even though the comments are not directed at the product, other than price). I guess I will go over to the Magic Cafe and see if anybody bad mouthed my buddy's trick..."

Opie seems to have it out for Brad because

1. He commented on the cost/value of the item without having seen or purchased it. (It's also seems that Opie is NOT aware of many of the book tests that regularly sell for over $50 including the Mother of all Booktests that goes for $350. And I do know the creator and it's a consistent seller even after all these years since its release.)
2. He commented on the comedic value of it based on his previous experiences with Brad's performances...NOT on seeing Brad's performance of this booktest.

Opie, please know the product or the act you talk about and don't spew meaningless, uninformed opinions that make you look like a bitter fool and kill your credibility in future posts.

Thank you.

opie

Postby opie » March 10th, 2004, 4:57 pm

Marrs, I love everybody, except people who jump onto me for no reason...I have tried to exit gracefully, but either Brad or others like you keep questioning my integrity or motives, and I just must respond.

I have not revealed other things that I know about Brad and his methods, but I do not feel that I want to do that, even though he has made a big issue of my really personal-opinion comments...

Evildan: I have been dealing in magic for more than 50 years; I am very aware of values and non-values...thank you for playing...

opie

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 10th, 2004, 5:22 pm

Perhaps if you didn't make leading statements not based on fact the accused wouldn't feel the need to defend his reputation or his work.

For example :"I have not revealed other things that I know about Brad and his methods"

I will go on record here saying that I stand by any decision or action I have ever made and if anyone at any time ever has a question or concern they need only address it either publically or privately. If goofy statements that imply something disparaging about me weren't made, I wouldn't have to come in and defend myself.

Having said that, in an effort to end this silliness, I will see you at the next SAM or IBM meeeting here in Austin. I will invite all of the membership to join you and I in the lobby or outside and you can then tell everyone about my "methods" and explain why you feel the need to try to harm my reputation and products on the board. We can also discuss your previous threats to me which I have shared with them as well. No more anonymity, not more hiding. And no, this isn't a proposition to fisticuffs. It all comes out. You will defend yourself and your actions in a public forum before your peers and be held accountable for your actions. Then there will never be a need for any of this stupidity either locally or on the internet. (For those interested, the aforementioned "interloping" consisted of the SAM program chairman of the month asking that I come in and donate a well received lecture. I did. Hence, interloper.)

opie

Postby opie » March 10th, 2004, 5:28 pm

I am not trying to harm you...You are the one doing all blabbing....I am just trying to watch tv....chill....

I will set up a board hearing here in Austin, with a couple of old friends of yours as members, and we will discuss what is the problem with me saying that I think your trick is overpriced.....

Richard: You need to close this thread, before Brad loses his mind....opie

opie

Postby opie » March 10th, 2004, 6:00 pm

Oh thank you Brad....I just had a double hernia operation, and I certainly would not want to have to file charges (federal, since I am over 65) against you for assaulting me....

I am sure Peter and Cody will be there to help me out, however....They know how you are....

We old folks, crippled from a double hernia operation (a few days ago), need our rest....Goodnight....Sleep tight(ly) Brad...

opie

BlueEyed Videot
Favorite Magician: Max Maven, Ray Anderson

Postby BlueEyed Videot » March 10th, 2004, 6:39 pm

Geez, Opie, if I didn't know better, I'd say you were displaying the mania of someone who needs their post-operative pain meds reduced!

Brad's book test is a most welcome addition to the lore of our craft. It is cogent, entertaining, topical; and a hoot to boot.

You think it's overpriced. Great. You won't be buying it.

You don't think Brad is funny. Again, you're entitled to your opinion.

I think you, are mistaken. Brad IS funny. And clever. Clever enough to release a book test that is, indeed, worth many times $50 to someone who is interested in obtaining some killer material.

And Opie, you ain't that guy.

opie

Postby opie » March 10th, 2004, 6:53 pm

Hi Richard, fellow Austinite....what's happening?

Thank you for your comments, but I quit the pain killers several days ago....It made me unfriendly...Now, I eat chocolate, and it makes me crazy....

Richard??? Are you a new club member? If not, why don't you come to the SAM and visit, as my guest, Monday night at the Omni Southpark Hotel, Ben White and I-35, at 7:00....(I think somebody is going to try to slap me, and I might need some help getting to the hospital for a critical case of "slapping"...)

I am glad there is a Texan here who understands that an opinion is not an excuse to invite somebody outside to a big chain hotel parking lot...

Be my guest....I am in the book; give me a call...name's Opie Houston, austin....if you plug that in Google, you will get my phone number.

Richard??? Have we met? A man of reason like you? Surely we should...

opie

Postby Guest » March 10th, 2004, 7:31 pm

Opie wrote:
"Evildan: I have been dealing in magic for more than 50 years; I am very aware of values and non-values...thank you for playing..."

So you're saying that you're good enough to judge an item without having purchased it, seeing it or seeing it performed. Tell me, does this sort of enlightenment and worldly knowledge come before or after a double hernia operation?

Again, because you are basing your opinion on nothing tangible your opinion is empty and meaningless. Your credibility is nil.

Live well, Die well,
EVILDAN.

opie

Postby opie » March 10th, 2004, 7:43 pm

Check out the Magic Cafe posts, especially the ones by Brad's friends who say that there is nothing new, except his COMEDY presentation....Duh!

Son, I don't make snap judgements; I spent 26 years leading unwilling folks in the military and was three steps ahead of them all the way....My magic teachers were Don Lawton and the gang in St. Louis about 50 years ago....I am also a retired college English teacher who does not make statements unless I am absolutely positive about the topic.

The trick has not new principles and nothing other than Brad's "comedy"; it doesn't even have the books you need to do the trick...You have to go to a book store and spend some more money, over the fifty bucks, for the books you need to do the trick....duh!

In Brad's defense, you do get a manuscript which has a great picture of Satan....That outta be worth something to somebody, but I find it a bit pathetic....

Go make Brad a leather prayer chain; he may need one...

PS: I just got a call from the great Northeast United States from someone who saw one of Brad's performances that he proudly cites as one of his venues where he presented the trick....The person told me that I was taking too much crap from Brad and that Brad messed the trick up when he presented it, wherever it was....I got it written down somewhere....

Goodnight....sweet dreams....opie

BlueEyed Videot
Favorite Magician: Max Maven, Ray Anderson

Postby BlueEyed Videot » March 10th, 2004, 7:57 pm

Thank you for you kind invite, Opie, but as Groucho said, "I would never join a club that would have me as a member."

I don't think this thread is the proper place to espouse my rather jaded views of most magic clubs (or virtual cafes, for that matter).

Rather, I think we should return to point, Brad's newly-released, "The Satanic Book Test".

I absolutely LOVE the name, by the way. I simply must hear what dear Masklyn thinks at our next seance when I summon his rather dusty soul back across the void from the happy Summerland. That is, if I can drag him away from Charles, Bascom, and that bottle of infernal single-malt they must be imbibing.

opie

Postby opie » March 10th, 2004, 8:05 pm

Richard, I will attend one of your seances or whatever you are into (as long as I don't have to expose any private parts), if you will come as my guest to the Omni Southpark Monday...Give me a call....just plug in opie houston, austin into google....

I like the way your brain works....(all this here is mere play; the real life is in minds which recognize that the world can be just frapping lovely....it is all in the way you observe it...)

If you are a magician, we need to meet...I feel the same way about a magic club, but somebody has to look out for them....My Maker put something in me that makes me try to help people...

opie

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 10th, 2004, 10:42 pm

Opie is apparently a real psychic has he can say whether my routine has any original ideas in it or not without either reading it NOR seeing it. Why he feels the need to say disparaging comments about a trick he knows nothing about is beyond me. Apparently he feels I have wronged him in the past? I honestly don't know. I have talked to most of the magicians in the Austin area and they are as clueless about it as I.

So, I'm left to decipher the comments and offer this summary for those not wishing to go over the entire diatribe:

39 posts - 9 by me, 17 by opie, 13 by innocent by standers

Of the 13 posts by innocents, 7 are by people who have seen or are familiar with the routine.

Of those 7 from 6 distinct posters, all 6 have commented positively on the routine.

Nevertheless, Opie thinks its not funny and overpriced - having never seen the routine.

I on the other hand, would like for the magic community to find it a worthwhile contribution to both their performing reperatoires and to magic as a whole, given that there are some ideas that I do not think are readily known. I have issues with the word original, as I have too much respect for the body of literature and thought which preceedes me.

Having said that, I would respectfully ask that only those people who have seen the routine or purchased it make that decision. That seems both reasonable and fair, no?

As to the Opie debacle, I will encounter him at one of our magic functions and I will essentially ask him what his problem is. I will have his peers present, and a copy of all of this to share with them. They have seen the other emails.

Again, I apologize to everyone for having a local issue spill over into the internet forums. I feel the need to reply lest someone actually believe the Opie is making informed comments on my product, which for the moment is part of my livelihood. Why he would want to say things to damage potential sales, given he knows nothing about the routine except from that gleaned from Bill Palmer's review, is beyond me. Yet he will reply again..and again. Because that, my friends, is Opie.

But next time I see him, he won't be able to smile and pass it off with a hand shake. I will ask him why and share this post with his peers. Either I will learn I have wronged him and deserve this, which I cannot phathom, or maybe he will see that these comments are both hurtful and malicious.

I would love for this to be the last post. But I know Opie will be back. Again, I am sorry. And thank you again for all the supportive emails. They mean a lot to me. It hurts to have someone call you "chunky", "not funny," and make comments about your clothing (though I press my suit for all my shows, for the record). I try to be a nice guy, and I wanted to share a great piece that others can take advantage of in this very topical time. I thought $50 for a full trick, scripted out was fair. I know what sopme of my writer friends get for writing an 8 minute speech. Even when you add the cost of the books, how many magic tricks can you add to your show and get a full 8 minutes of guaranteed laughter and wonderment out of for under $100? Heck, I thought it was a bargain.

Hopefully, those of you who actually read the book or see the routine will make that judgement and let me know. And I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on here, if only to counter Opie's opinion, uniformed though it may be.

Thanks!

Brad

Return to “Buzz”