FISM

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
thecardman

Re: FISM

Postby thecardman » August 1st, 2003, 2:27 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Hey didn't anyone see our lecture on FRED KAPS?
Yes, I was there in the front row on the Thursday afternoon and it was the most fascinating hour-and-a-half I it has been my pleasure to watch! Mr Koornwinder's and your knowledge of Kaps the person as well as Mr Caveney's knowledge of Kaps the magician made for a fascinating afternoon.

Thanks to the 3 of you for sharing some wonderful information, pieces of magic and video footage. To be honest (and without trying to sound like a kiss-a**) worth the trip alone!

Many thanks once again.

Peter
:)

Dan LeFay

Postby Dan LeFay » August 2nd, 2003, 11:06 am

Maybe interesting to know that Dick Koornwinder decided just about 2 weeks before the convention to give the lecture, because the original lecturer, Piet Hart, passed away a month ago. I was not able to see the lecture, due to my dealer obligations, but I think Dick deserves appreciation here.
(And some stimulation too, to finally write that book on the Dutch master :-)

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » August 3rd, 2003, 2:10 am

For me the FISM highlight was the Fred Kaps presentation. Pete, Mike and Dick, a big THANK YOU. Especially Pete, thanks for sharing the info on Kaps "Smoking Thumb".

I am amazed at how some magicians will watch all the competition acts. After years of watching magic competitions I developed a personal philosophy. I generally don't watch them figuring those that are any good will be on next years conventions gala shows.

The surprise for many was the popularity of the Kids Magic Mini-Congress where I was lecturing. Both presentations were filled with over 150 being turned away.

Philippe Noël

Postby Philippe Noël » August 3rd, 2003, 2:42 am

I think there were many highlights at FISM 2003.
Personally I particulary appreciated: The lecture on Kaps, John Carney's lecture, Johnny Thomson's lecture, Norbert Ferr's act,Eun-Gyeol Lee's act and his vanishes that ended with smoke, Topas' new act with the plane flying over the public.

Postby Guest » August 10th, 2003, 1:37 am

[Hey didn't anyone see our lecture on FRED KAPS?]

Maybe it is not too late to say I did...TWICE...and for me it was the "most valuable event"....A really historical and magic milestone! .I only missed the "homing card"....the Fred's way.

Thanks to Dick, Pete and Mike for so a touching moment in many senses.

Best to all

Camilo

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 10th, 2003, 12:10 pm

Many thanks for the kind words... it was Kaps, however, not the presenters...

I really hope he is not forgotten, and that's why we were so thrilled to do this presentation.

There is much, much more material, but Dick, the honest fellow he is, would not show any video or film we didn't have the legal rights to.

An example was one of Kaps' greatest shows, an early Ed Sullivan show... where the producers that own it wanted $1,000 a minute to let us show it. We are going to work hard to find a way around this.

Once all the material is LEGALLY CLEARED we will be producing a series of DVDs.

In addition to what we did at the FISM, we also had a studio set up in a room and brought in many, many people, like Johnny Thompson, David Berglas, Ali Bongo and on and on, and did taped interviews.

All credit must go to Dick Koornwinder, who has put in a great effort to find and preserve material related to Kaps.

One item not mentioned or shown at the lecture was a suitcase that belonged to Kaps. He was packing up to leave a convention and Mike Caveney was helping him.

One of Kaps' suitcases was getting a bit old and worn out, so he replaced it and was going to toss out the old one. Caveney asked Fred if he could have it, and now does own it.

:genii:
Stay tooned.

Return to “Buzz”