FISM

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
ADG

FISM

Postby ADG » July 23rd, 2003, 4:55 pm

Greetings.......anyone have any info or feedback on FISM 2003......winners, losers, shows, lectures, hot dealer items...etc...
Alex

John Houdi

Re: FISM

Postby John Houdi » July 26th, 2003, 2:06 am

The Danish dealer Pegani uploads a lot of pictures from FISM 2003 at this address:

http://www.pegani.dk/fism2003

The language is Danish and most of the pictures have some connection with Scandinavian magicians, but I guess you still will find some nice pictures there that can be interesting to view.

Postby Guest » July 26th, 2003, 6:56 am

Ohhhhhh..he had pictures of Rune Klan..coin magic...drooollllll....

And I have a question..what is "Micro magic"?

Rosie

Michel Huot

Postby Michel Huot » July 26th, 2003, 7:19 am

micro magic is not magic done with a mic...it is actually close-up magic...

micro means small

Raj Madhok

Postby Raj Madhok » July 26th, 2003, 7:31 am

FISM winners are posted on the Saturday page of Pegani's link.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 26th, 2003, 7:48 am

Jason Lattimer won first prize in Close-Up Magic and also the prize for Invention here at FISM.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » July 26th, 2003, 10:35 am

Jason is a great young talent! He will do very well in the years to come if he plays his cards right. (no pun intended)

www.JeffEzellMAGIC.com

Adrian Kuiper

Postby Adrian Kuiper » July 26th, 2003, 1:30 pm

I notice in a few categories that no "First Place" was awarded, only Second and Third. How
come???

Michel Huot

Postby Michel Huot » July 26th, 2003, 3:53 pm

At FISM, you need a certain amount of point in order to win 1st, 2nd and third place

so if the strongest performer had enough point to be second but not enough point for first, there will be no 1st place winner

thats the same way for the GRAND PRIX, this is the reason why some years there is aGRAND PRIX winner and some years there is not one...hope it clarify thhings...

opie

Postby opie » July 26th, 2003, 4:44 pm

Are you saying that there was nobody awarded the Big Richard this year?????.........opie

Steve V

Postby Steve V » July 26th, 2003, 4:55 pm

Gee, that was nice.
Steve V
Steve V

opie

Postby opie » July 26th, 2003, 5:08 pm

tsk tsk, Steve....Maybe one of these days you will be able to make it to a convention, and perhaps we can be roomies....

...no offense, son....just responding, so that somebody will pay attention to the fact that you are here....

:0p

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 26th, 2003, 5:22 pm

I always notice when my friend Steve V. is here. Steve's a great convention roomie; I have the Polaroids to prove it. In fact, I think the housing department red tag is still on the room (having the two of us in the same room--along with one large and one medium size guy--put serious stress on its structural integrity).

Dustin

opie

Postby opie » July 26th, 2003, 5:24 pm

Whoops, sorry...I thought maybe he was one of those lonely guys....

Whoa....are you saying that you and Steve shared a room with one large and one medium-size guy, and that the structure of the room suffered as a result....

Excuuuuuuse me....!!!!!......opie

themaestro

Postby themaestro » July 26th, 2003, 7:47 pm

Actually though it theoretically can happen, there has never been a time the Grand Prix has not been awarded. Except for the first year--1946-- when evidently there was not grand prix as there was no catergories; just 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Now there is no longer just a Grand Prix--there's a Grand Prix Stage and Grand Prix Close-up. Jason Latimer won the Grand Prix CLoseup, and Norbert Ferre won the Grand Prix Stage.
This was not listed among the winners on the pagani site initially because they have changed the way they choose the Grand Prix. Before it was done as part of the normal contest. Now it is done with the Gala show being another competition-- between the first place winners of each of the categories. Though there was evidently a second place winner(in manipulation) in the gala/competition this year. My guess is he got enough points to be a first place winner, even though Norbert Ferre got more.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 27th, 2003, 3:11 pm

Jason Latimer won a Grand Prix for close up plus first placed plus first for invention.

Frere (I am in Prague and can't find my notes) won Grand Prix and first in Manipulation.

Read the following...

What started out to maybe be the DAY FROM HELL.wound up being. Let me explain.

Convention ended last night with news that Jason Latimer, young guy from the Magic Castle won the World Championship in The Hague for his close-up magic.

So, Sunday morning we got into a cab to go to the train station for the train to the Amsterdam Airport. Great cab driver, they wear suits and ties here, said We have a special rate to the Airport (it was about half regular price). So we said OK.

Got there and when we checked in at the counter the girl says, Mr. Biro, you cannot go to Prague. Your passport expires in September on the 5th and the Czechs require you have 90 days left before it expires. You have to go to the Embassy in Amsterdam Monday to get a new passport.

I begged her to let us go and we would argue with the people in Prague. No, she said. I asked her to check with the supervisors, etc. and the word was no.

So, we went to the Sheraton Hotel at the airport and checked in, then went over a list of things we had to do Monday to get this sorted out.

We went back to the airport to the ticket counter to see if we could change our flight to the next day, and at a later time.

A very nice lady said, This is a discount ticket and you cannot change it without a large cost penalty.

Argh.

Then she said, You know the flight you were on is delayed it is still here. We told her about the 90 day rule. She said, I think that is no longer in effect, let me check.

She phones the Czech airline manager at home and the answer is You CAN GO, No problem anymore.

Lady says, Where is your luggage? We told her at the hotel we checked in. She told us to rush over get out bags and come back.

We set a new course record to the hotel and back. When we got there she said to be safe she put us on a later flight then wrote a special letter to the gate and check in people to let us go (check in gal still called her to make sure).

We got on the flight. And in a couple of hours were in our beautiful hotel room in Prague went outside and you wont believe it We are right on the river on one side, and across the river is a stadium and a ROLLING STONES Concert just started. Of course we could hear it perfectly, so we sat down at a sidewalk caf and listened from just after 8 pm til 11:30 The Rolling Stones.

Sometimes you just get lucky!
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 27th, 2003, 3:12 pm

NOrbert Frere... an awesome talent.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » July 27th, 2003, 3:58 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
and across the river is a stadium and a ROLLING STONES Concert just started. Of course we could hear it perfectly, so we sat down at a sidewalk caf and listened from just after 8 pm "til 11:30 The Rolling Stones.

Sometimes you just get lucky!
A nice end to a somewhat hectic day...Pete, I hope you had a blast!

www.JeffEzellMAGIC.com

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 28th, 2003, 8:28 am

Here is the complete list of winners as it appears on magictimes.com:
This year instead of awarding a single overall Grand Prix Award and the title of "World Champion Magician" they have decided to present two awards: Norbert Ferr won the Grand Prix Stage Award and Jason Latimer received the Grand Prix Close-Up Award.
Manipulation: 1- Norbert Ferr* (France), 2- Eun-Gyeol Lee* (Republic Of Korea), 3- Kenji Minemura (Japan).
General Magic: 1- Pat Perry & Archibald* (Switzerland), 2- Simon Pierro (Germany), 3- (a tie): Danny Cole (United States) and Mirko (Argentina).
Stage Illusions: 1- Not Awarded, 2- Prince Of Illusions (The Netherlands), 3- Doctor MarraX (Germany).
Parlour Magic: 1- Not Awarded, 2- (a tie): Ken Bardowicks (Germany) and Chris Joker (Germany), 3- Robert Jagerhorn (Finland).
Mental Magic: 1- Not Awarded, 2- Aaron (Belgium), 3- Chris Joker (Germany).
Micro Magic: 1- Jason Latimer* (United States), 2- (a tie): Nicholas Einhorn (United Kingdom) and Shawn Farquhar (Canada), 3- Ferenc Galambos (Hungary).
Card Magic: 1- Magomigue* (Spain), 2- Gregory Wilson (United States), 3- (a tie): Iňaki (Argentina) and Etienne (United Kingdom).
Invention: Jason Latimer (United States), Jan Ditgen (Germany), Arsene Lupin (Poland).
Comedy Presentation: The Great Nardini (Scotland).
Most Original Act: Pat Perry & Archibald (Switzerland).
*The performers with an "*" next to their names scored high enough to be considered for a Grand Prix award and presented their act once again on Saturday at the Final Gala.
It was also announced that the next FISM convention would take place in Stockholm, Sweden in the summer of 2006. The host society is The Swedish Magic Circle. They have already purchased a website for the convention: www.fism.com

(Meir and I have an agreement that I'm allowed to use his news items once in a while, so I'm not violating his copyright by reproducing his information here.)
My overall impression of FISM was a good one. The Dutch seemed to have everything well scheduled, though I still can't believe they didn't have any video monitors during the lectures. The hotels all jack up their prices for the convention (I've heard) by as much as $100 a night. Just a word to the wise if you're going to go to Sweden in 2006: do some research and book your own hotel room.
They eliminated the category of Comedy Magic from Grand Prix contention, probably because of the controversy some of the past awards have generated. I heard that The Great Nardini from Scotland was screamingly funny, and at least the couple was given a "Best Comedy" award.
What I can't believe was the award for the General Magic category, which went to Pat Perry & Archibald from Switzerland. There was NO magic in this act. It opens with two guys standing in front of some sort of door, which they enter. The front part of the set is then removed and they are seen to be sitting at a card table. HOWEVER, it is a bird's eye view. In other words, the floor has been mounted vertically so it faces the audience, and the table and chairs have been bolted to it. You are looking down at the action, as if you were sitting in a tree and looking down at a picnic taking place beneath you.
They two guys then proceed to play cards, bet with money, drink stuff, etc., all of which sticks to the table. There are a few clever things, but aside from one brief effect (so brief that I can't even remember it), this was a gimmick with no magic. Yet it not only won first prize in the General Magic category, but also most orignal act. Ridiculous! The actual magicians who competed have every right to be steamed. The only place such a stunt would have any valid reason for existence is in a theatrical play where the director wanted to do something "cinematic" and show the action in one scene from above. Of course such a gimmick would detract from whatever dramatic element the scene contained, so it's a lousy idea even in its only conceivable context.
BUT, the audience at the final gala loved it and cheered wildly.

Angelo Carbone

Postby Angelo Carbone » July 28th, 2003, 10:43 am

I totally agree Richard (re gambling act) - it was a nice novel act but no magical content. I was surprised at their placing. I had told lots of friends that this was the case. Glad I was not the only one who thought the same. I think the fact that a lot of magicians gave a standing ovation may have raised the popularity and greatness of the act more so which the judges took on board.

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » July 28th, 2003, 1:38 pm

Just got back to Denver and here are my FISM impressions: I agree with Richard and Angelo about the poker act, incredible to see but not a magic act ... overall the quality of the contestants was very high (more so in the stage competition than in the close-up) with some forgettable exceptions ... The hosts ran a great convention with a crowded schedule and something for everyone ... not having video monitors for the lectures was a glaring mistake ... also heed Richards words about unfair hotel pricing ... many people booked their rooms assuming that by doing so they would be SAVING money not paying an inflated price ... this was one of the most mentioned grumbles during the week ... the Noctural Trio did a great show ... ditto for the Bar Magic ... didn't see many lectures so I won't comment on them ... dealers said sales were off (when have they said otherwise) and I understand their view as there were many dealers and during contest hours (which coincided with dealers hours), the room was pretty bare ... all in all an exceptional convention that attracted magicans from all over the world ...
Producer of MINDvention
mentalism convention

Angelo Carbone

Postby Angelo Carbone » July 28th, 2003, 9:34 pm

Another thing which was a little annoying was that there was no sound emitting from the TVs during the close up or stage shows around the building. I tried turning up the volume on the TVs but even at a high level - still no sound. I guess there was no sound transmitted. Does anyone know why? I am sure in Lisbon sound was transmitted on the external TVs or am I wrong?

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » July 28th, 2003, 9:57 pm

Yes, some people did feel that Pat Perry & Archibald didn't have any magic in it. Others noted cigarette manipulations, card manipulations, blooming bouquet, gelling whiskey, silk on reel.. and other pieces of magic as well as the intense use of magnets. Some felt that it, along with the black art acts, should not be in a magic competition. There was even a ventriloquist in the General Magic category...

Who do YOU think should have won first place?

As far as originality, which act at FISM was more original?

TIM ELLIS

Angelo Carbone

Postby Angelo Carbone » July 28th, 2003, 11:01 pm

I think Danny Cole deserved a much higher placing than 3rd, Tim. 2nd if not 1st.

Postby Guest » July 29th, 2003, 4:34 am

If you're going to go to FISM - Sweden in 2006 ( www.fism.com) and if yo want to have a cheap bed there are several youth hostels in Stockholm center. I think it costs only 10-20 dollar per night. Pretty high standard and breakfast. Almost all people in sweden talks english.

Youth Hostel 15-20 dollar:
www.langholmen.com
www.zinkensdamm.com
There are also a youth hostel called Chapman in the harbour in a old ship close to the royal castle, pretty cool.

Hotels from 40 dollar and up:
http://www.destination-stockholm.com/

See ya in Stockholm, Sweden.

Jon Allen

Postby Jon Allen » July 29th, 2003, 10:23 am

I really enjoyed my first FISM. You never get to realise that around 2500 people are there until the gala shows. There is so much going on at once, it is tough. The dealers hall was never really buzzing, considering how many people were registered.

I agree about the Gamblers act. Clever but not enough magic to warrant first place.

I also felt a little disappointed in the stage gala shows. The highlight for me was Topas as both MC and his "childish" act. Wayne Dobson also showed what a great performer he is. A well deserved standing ovation!

The highlight in the close-up gala was Manuel Muerte. If ever there was a lesson in misdirection... this was it. And so funny with it.

Oh, it was a shame the card-finding goldfish was banned!!!!! Did anyone get to see it?

The down side:
"Whatever you do....take the magic with you.....Whatever you do....take the magic with you..." I can't get this out my head! Please make it stop!!!

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » July 29th, 2003, 1:21 pm

Thanks for reminding me Jon ... Frank Wilson (who played piano and sang between the stage competition acts) was a definite highlight ... he made the waits (and there were many) bearable ... also Topas was a joy to watch ... what a polished performer he was ...

I agree also with Angelo .. why no sound on the monitors ... for most stage acts you could still watch but the speaking acts were totally lost ...

not complaining mind you, I think they did a great job with a very large crowd and things ran on time as well ...
Producer of MINDvention

mentalism convention

Jacky Kahan

Postby Jacky Kahan » July 30th, 2003, 1:44 am

Hello,

Nobody mentioning Armando Lucero? For me Armando was THE hightlight of FISM... The most beautiful Matrix I ever saw...

all the best,

Jacky

Grant McSorley

Postby Grant McSorley » July 30th, 2003, 2:16 am

And let's not forget Raymond Crowe...what an amazing performer. Is there anything written about him anywhere? Maybe in a Genii back issue?

Grant

Stefan Sprenger

Postby Stefan Sprenger » July 30th, 2003, 3:04 am

Hi there,

since i only was at FISM on Tuesday i can not say anything about the competition!

But i got to see the card finding fish which was a highlight for me (but is probably not realy fishfriendly).

And i have to agree Armando was worth the trip for me!!!

Greetings form Frankfurt Germany

Stefan

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 30th, 2003, 3:19 pm

Am in PRAGUE great vacation... Crowe and Armando were miracle workers... sheets eason etc.

Hey didn't anyone see our lecture on FRED KAPS?

MANY GREAT MOMENTS.... too tired right now... wait 'til you see the photos in Genii....

xoxoxoxo
Stay tooned.

Danny Archer

Postby Danny Archer » July 30th, 2003, 4:38 pm

If you missed Armando at FISM, you can catch him when he lectures at the Las Vegas Magic Invitational Sept. 14 - 16th lvmi.net
Producer of MINDvention

mentalism convention

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » July 31st, 2003, 6:53 am

Just a note to let you know that Sue-Anne Webster's full report on FISM 2003 (together with photos supplied by Christian Niss) is now online at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/katzkin/PUBFISM2003.htm

Enjoy!

TIM ELLIS & SUE-ANNE WEBSTER

Visit our amazing world on the web at

www.MagicUnlimited.com

David Mitchell

Postby David Mitchell » July 31st, 2003, 8:47 am

Just out of curiousity, is FISM always somewhere other than North America?

Pete: Glad you got to hear the Stones, we got them right after you in Toronto. A friend of mine (who actually runs the Sorcerer's Safari Magic camp up here in Canada) was performing at the concert that was going on up here. Almost 500,000 people in attendance. WHew!

David.
David Mitchell

Postby Guest » August 1st, 2003, 7:39 am

Originally posted by Tim Ellis:
Yes, some people did feel that Pat Perry & Archibald didn't have any magic in it.

TIM ELLIS
Kind of like Amazing Jonathan. Not a lot of actual magic, but lots of cool special effects.

YP

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 1st, 2003, 8:33 am

Pat and whoever really had no business even being allowed into a magic competition, and the judges had no business awarding them anything, because they didn't do a magic act.

Hanno
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, John Gaughn, David Copperfield, Norbert, Ferré,.....

Postby Hanno » August 1st, 2003, 8:56 am

.............. but the did judge them first place. And it was not one judge but about 12 different persons. So you also could argue if the fism winner in close up should do a little more then doing a whole act with 3 transparent cups where the operandus modi was quite obvious.
For me it was a boring act, but this was not the oppinion of the jury, so maby it is a matter of different taste?

Postby Guest » August 1st, 2003, 9:08 am

Just for the record: 'Pat Perry & Archibald' are the names of the winners in General Magic. As Hanno put it correctly, you may agree or disagree with the opinion of the judges, but they considered it the best act in this category.

As Tim Ellis has asked before:
'Who do YOU think should have won first place?'
Harry Lucas

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 1st, 2003, 9:37 am

Pat Perry and Archibald was not a magic act. It shouldn't have even been allowed in the contest.
Regarding Jason Latimer, I haven't heard a lot of people call his routine "boring" and his methodology "obvious."

Hanno
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, John Gaughn, David Copperfield, Norbert, Ferré,.....

Postby Hanno » August 1st, 2003, 2:21 pm

It was for shure a magic act. Or how do you define a magic act? How many props are used? How many sleight? How many effects?
It was more magical then many of the manipulation acts where you have to see countless billardball moves were you never got a magical feeling.
The first place also suprised me, but which of the other acts in general magic got a standing ovation?
Its a great thing that there is not one general taste in magic.

Return to “Buzz”