"Theory Into Practice," a lecture by Brad Henderson

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Bill McFadden

"Theory Into Practice," a lecture by Brad Henderson

Postby Bill McFadden » September 6th, 2004, 7:29 pm

In an effort to make progress on shortening my required reading list for summer, I shlepped a few items on my flights to and from MAGIC Live! One of the high points was a careful study of Brad's lecture "notes." Some random observations for your consideration:

This effort stands very well on its own as a terrific contribution to the literature of magical process, theory, performance, and construction.

As many thinkers on the above have opined, we don't need more tricks. What we do need is clarity of thought as to how (and why) we select, approach, and present any routine - regardless of length. Henderson's thesis articulates the concept of utilizing simplicity and directness in order to lead the audience toward drawing conclusions the magician desires. It becomes obvious that the lecture upon which these notes were compiled was structured to offer its recipients another precison tool for improvement and effectiveness.

Seven good, commercial effects are explained to reinforce Brad's takes on intent, engagement, energy, etc. Thus, the interested mage is urged to expand his/her vision of how magic ought to appear to the intended spectators in any given situation.

These pages represent substantive, original ideas. Thinking magicians can use them to maximum advantage. Oh, to have checked-out the lecture, but the notes are a strong substitute.

No ulterior motives on the part of yours truly; merely a word to the wise, along with trying to boost a brotha's visibility. :cool:

Re: "Theory Into Practice," a lecture by Brad Henderson

Postby Guest » September 6th, 2004, 11:38 pm

I received a copy of this from Brad at the TAOM convention. I read it last night, and was quite pleased with the way Brad has put this together.

I noticed it is a set of lecture notes. I hope Brad is planning this for a lecture. There is good material here. The book shows, among other things, how to take a really awful trick and, by well thought out presentation, turn it into a good one.

It's a breath of fresh air.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » September 7th, 2004, 10:00 pm

Thanks!

I have had two emails about these products. More info, and ordering instructions, can be found at www.bradhenderson.com/theory.htm

Thanks again,

Brad

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » September 8th, 2004, 1:03 am

Let me add that this is a terrific publication, and well worth your time.

If you enjoy Jamy Ian Swiss's column, or Strong Magic, or Michael Close's essays, you'll like this too.

Jeff

Postby Guest » November 20th, 2004, 6:39 pm

I just completed this booklet by Brad... I believe he calls it lecture notes. It has more creative elements than many books three times its size.
Brad is an excellent writer & an amazing performer. This is the type of book that everyone who is considering "doing" magic should get... not the trick of the month books.
Brad shows you the inner workings of a performer. How he or she looks at their craft and their effects.
Brad has some powerful ideas & presentations that should get your creative juices boiling.
In it he uses a few effects to teach each step of his theory. Don't expect the latest ambitious card routine or some outstanding mental epic routine, but do expect ingenious thinking and thoughtful motivations for his effects.
Having said that, Brad does give a marvelous take on a drawing dupe routine and a hysterical routine using an 8 Ball.
He also gives some interesting ideas when doing a bill to impossible location.
Get this book and read it! If you want to know how a creative & successful performer thinks then get this book.
Greg

Return to “Buzz”