Arthur Setterington 1924 - 2006

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Morrell

Arthur Setterington 1924 - 2006

Postby Richard Morrell » January 28th, 2006, 4:12 pm

Sorry to report the sad news that Arthur Setterington died on Thursday 26th January 2006 age 81. Arthur was a warm, generous magician who will be sadly missed by his many friends and correspondents throughout the world. He was a prolific magical inventor, writer and performer. A MIMC and recipient of The Magic Circle J N Maskelyne Literary Award in 2003.

He had published over 1000 tricks and ideas in many magical publications throughout the world starting in 1947 in Abra.

Arthur is acknowledged as the originator of The Penetrating Rubber Bands and was a winner of many
Linking Ring Awards for his ideas.

Arthur's funeral will be held at Kingston Wesley Methodist Church in Hull on Thursday 2nd February 2006 at 11am.

More details from Hull Magicians' Circle Secretary, Michael Harrop -
Tel: 01482 648671 email: sylvia.mike@virgin.net

magicam

Re: Arthur Setterington 1924 - 2006

Postby magicam » January 28th, 2006, 9:37 pm

Usually, when there is a notice of a passing, several people jump in with comments, anecdotes, etc. Perhaps because this is more or less a Yank board and because perhaps not too many people have been exposed to Arthur Setterington on this side of the Atlantic, things are quiet in response to this sad news.

In early August, 1996, I had the pleasure of meeting Arthur at a dinner hosted by Eddie and Amy Dawes at their home. As some of you may know, Arthur co-authored The Book of Magic with Eddie, which was published (to the authors dismay) as The Encyclopedia of Magic in the U.S., and was subsequently reprinted in numerous authorized and apparently pirated editions. In terms of being quiet-spoken and not one to call attention to himself, Arthur fit the American stereotype of a Brit. But he was most cordial to me and we had a chance to chat about magic and magic history during that memorable evening. I had brought copies of the UK and US editions of the aforementioned book, and he kindly inscribed them to me in (perhaps characteristically) pithy fashion.

I regret that I did not have the chance to get to know Arthur better, but the fact that Dr. Dawes would invite Arthur to be a co-author speaks to the respect Arthur surely enjoyed amongst his peers in the U.K. Eddie Dawes also wrote a series of columns on Setterington in his Rich Cabinet series in The Magic Circular, another indication of his status.

Adieu, Arthur, adieu.

Clay Shevlin

Postby Guest » January 29th, 2006, 5:07 pm

Rest in Peace.

The Penetrating Rubber Bands is considered by many as one of the greatest close up illusions in the history of sleight of hand. I never leave home without a couple of size 19's. God Bless!

magicam

Postby magicam » February 4th, 2006, 9:22 pm

Dr. Edwin A. Dawes has kindly allowed me to post the text of the tribute he paid to Arthur Setterington at a service which took place on February 2, 2006, at Kingston Wesley Methodist Chapel in East Hull, England. Dr. Dawes tells me that a packed congregation of friends, drawn principally from the worlds of Methodism and Magic, joined widow Elsie and family members to celebrate Arthurs life.

Given the lack of comment on this forum regarding Arthurs life and contributions to magic, among other things, it seems fitting to add something to the record here, and I cant think of a better and more qualified person to do that than dear friend Eddie. So with thanks to Eddie, here are his comments, given at that service. Clay

ARTHUR SETTERINGTON: A TRIBUTE

Oscar Wilde famously proclaimed that To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. Arthur Setterington did live with a life that was active and fulfilling and in the sphere of magic established a reputation that was as familiar in New York as in Newcastle.

At the age of four, at a birthday party, Arthur witnessed his first conjurer and, in the manner of most small boys, knew immediately that he wanted to become a conjurer too, a wish that was initially granted three years later when Bourneville cocoa coupons yielded a magic set

Thereafter, magically, Arthur never looked back, and, from his teens, became a popular childrens and adult entertainer in Hull and East Yorkshire. He joined Hull Magicians' Circle in 1945 and in due course occupied the offices of President, Secretary, becoming an Honorary Life Member, who, on his 60th anniversary of membership last year was honoured by a special presentation at the Societys Annual Dinner.

In 1949 Arthur became a member of the British Ring of the International Brotherhood of Magicians and in 1972 joined The Magic Circle, eventually being elected to Gold Star membership of the Inner Magic Circle.

On a personal note, when, some forty years ago, I arrived in Hull from Glasgow, I received a welcoming letter from Secretary Arthur and an invitation to become a member of Hull M.C. From our first meeting we became good friends, sharing interests additional to the actual performance of magic, namely its fascinating history, general theatre and music hall.

I quickly discovered that Arthur possessed the remarkable ability of being able to sit down and create a trick almost to order, the majority of these originations being published in the magical press and, starting in 1947 he celebrated his one thousandth contribution in June last year, a wonderful achievement. A number of these tricks have been marketed around the world. To this prolific authorship we can add some thirteen books on magic. It is interesting how he could wed his interests. The first booklet he published was not overtly on magic but a collection of anecdotes issued in connection with a Church Gift Day. Covertly, however, he ensured that this innocent booklet could also serve a magical purpose, another example of his focus on utility items in conjuring.

As a performer Arthur proved his versatility by winning every award Hull M.C. has to offer, some of them multiple times, especially the Jasper Maskelyne Wand for Originality. On the national and international scene he won the British Ring Zina Bennett Trophy for Close-Up Magic in 1960 and 1968, the Originality Award in 1968 and, from the parent organisation in America, Awards in 1967 and 1978 for his contributions to The Linking Ring magazine. Finally, in 2003, he received the coveted Magic Circle Maskelyne Prize for Literature.

Arthurs interest in young people originally found expression with the Methodist Association of Youth Clubs and in 1959 he led a team of forty from Hull to the Royal Albert Hall to present the magical and circus skills he had taught them. And so it was a natural progression that later he should become a key mentor of the Young Magicians of Humberside from its inception in the early 1970s. Since that time, a procession of aspiring young conjurers have benefited from Arthurs tutelage, some of them now well-known professional performers. It is fitting that they now compete annually for the Arthur Setterington Close-Up Trophy.

In his highly acclaimed poem An Arundel Tomb, my friend the late Philip Larkin, concluded with What will survive of us is love. That is certainly true of Arthur but, as magicians, we recognise additionally the tangible rich legacy of his writings and of the ideas and creations that he so willingly shared with his fellow practitioners, and imparted to the young magicians who become magics standard bearers of the future. For all these, Arthur, you will forever remain in our memories.

magicam

Postby magicam » February 5th, 2006, 2:57 pm

Eddie Dawes added the following in a subsequent e-mail to me, which provides a bit more information on the service and an amusing anecdote which typified Arthur Setterington's modesty. Here goes, in Eddie's words:

"The service opened in a cheery manner when the Rev. Paul Lucas, displaying a couple of rubber bands, told of how, on his arrival in Hull from the North-east, he had first visited the Setteringtons and, discovering that his host was a magician, mentioned that he knew a conjurer who had shown him a trick with penetrating rubber bands and asked if Arthur knew it. Yes said Arthur, and Elsie [CHS note: Elsie was Arthur's wife] added He invented it!

Tributes were paid by Mrs G. Barnett representing Arthurs church, Eddie Dawes on behalf of The Magic Circle, the International Brotherhood of Magicians and Hull Magicians Circle, Arthurs sister Barbara, son Ian, grandchildren Calum and Lucy, and Deacon Ian Cartwright, who related many amusing anecdotes connected with Arthurs role as a lay preacher.

A private cremation followed."

Richard Morrell

Postby Richard Morrell » February 17th, 2006, 11:15 am

Thanks Clay for your kind words Arthur will indeed be sadly missed. Arthur was of course a close friend of Eddie Dawes and they shared a passion for magical history. Knowing Eddies (and Arthurs) concern for historical accuracy, I should correct the date of Arthurs passing, which was given to me in error. Arthur died early on Thursday 26th January 2006, not the 25th as I reported.

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » February 20th, 2006, 6:47 pm

I never met Arthur Setterington, but I have several items that he published. His contributions to magic were many.

I really hate to hear of his passing.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Return to “Buzz”