SAM convention

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Jeff Eline

SAM convention

Postby Jeff Eline » July 9th, 2007, 9:10 am

Anyone have a report on the SAM convention in Dallas? Anyone go?

Re: SAM convention

Postby Guest » July 10th, 2007, 3:26 pm

I guess nobody went.

Postby Guest » July 10th, 2007, 4:06 pm

I went and had a great time....

The hotel lacked a bit--no hot water in many rooms and a general "wet" smell, but the staff was helpful, after some sign language to get past whatever language they spoke...

I usually judge a convention as a success, if there are at least two good shows....This one had FOUR! And one of those four shows was the SYM kid show. Some of these young folks are making us old timers feel like we missed something in our early training...

The People's Choice Stage Contest was very good, with at least four performances which made it difficult to vote. I will have to admit that I cast my heart-throbbing vote for a young Chinese woman who killed everybody there....

The special cruise-ship show was fantastic, with a variety of stand-up and illusion presentations. It brought us to our feet and, frankly, caused me to bruise my hands clapping...I have never seen a funnier bit than the finale of the evening...(I will let someone else comment on that)...

The last-night show was also a big winner, with primarily Hispanic/South American magicians doing what good magicians have done since the Middle Ages--great, all-around magic with juggling and a keen sense of entertaining the audience.

The local Dallas folks opened the convention shows with many of their best performers and none who was not entertaining....The professional close-up performers were all excellent, and the lectures I attended were well done and extremely worthwhile...

I would rate the overall convention as above average and one of the best I have attended...I regret that I did not know many of the performers and am sorry that I did not get around to meeting them...My goal at conventions, however, is really to just visit friends, and, at this convention, that actually was just the icing on the cake...

opie

Tom Klem

Postby Tom Klem » July 11th, 2007, 3:15 pm

I also went. I went mostly because they were honoring my friend George Schindler. After I got there I found it certainly was worth the money with three big shows at the Majestic. Lectures by Bob White and Mark Mason and the close up sessions with George Schindler were good as well.

I also enjoyed meeting and talking to magic great Celeste Evans and Ken Silverman the author of "Houdini".

I did find the SAM National is a bit click of old friends and as a new comer to this magic community I felt like an outsider much of the convention. I found myself hanging out with the other members from NYC that had come to honor George.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 11th, 2007, 3:53 pm

I didn't see much but the two final evening shows, the Cruise-Ship magicians and the Latino magicians. Both were superb.
But, it was bad for the dealers. Very few people from the convention went into the dealer room.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » July 11th, 2007, 4:02 pm

Like I said, Tom....it was a good convention....

I did not mention all the people I met and hung out with, because I was afraid of leaving somebody out. I did hang out some with Celeste and her lovely daughter, however, and they both bear mentioning...You gotta love them!!! I probably should not tell, but Celeste and I were doing shots at Maria's reception....hehe...

After a while there, I mentioned that my bath tub had been stopped up and I had to get maintenance up to fix it. Then, Celeste, her daughter, and another lady who shall remain nameless, began spreading the rumor that Opie had a plumbing problem...Hey! It was a plugged-up bath tub!!! Like I said; you gotta love all of them...

People make the conventions, even when the programs don't work. This convention had the good programs and a lot of great people.

Next time you go to a convention, just walk up to people and say, "Hi, my name is Tom, and I am a magician." I assure you that all the 12 steppers will jump up and say, "Hi Tom".....

Running a big organization like SAM is tough...Give the Council a break; they have been under some pressure, and they are feeling the strain.

I believe that Maria and Bruce will pull things together, if the combined convention and the National Headquarters dream don't kill them. You can hardly blame them for being a bit cliquish, when great amounts of money are involved in some rather risky ventures...

opie

Postby Guest » July 11th, 2007, 4:26 pm

Tom:

Almost every convention has its cliques. However, in almost any group, if you will make the effort to speak to some of the people in the various cliques, you will find that they will be much more gracious to you than you are giving them credit for.

You are given a name badge for a number of reasons. One is to show that you are permitted to go to any of the various and sundry events. The other is to make it easier for you to make contact with the other people at the event.

I came away from that convention with more friends than I had when I went to it. I also got to renew acquaintances with several people I had not seen in many, many years.

People aren't going to rush up to you and ask to meet you. You must go to them.

At the next convention, try it. You might be pleasantly surprised at what happens.

Tom Klem

Postby Tom Klem » July 12th, 2007, 5:40 am

Opie and Bill Palmer:

This was my first SAM magic convention. Since my membership in this organization only goes back to 2003. I do not have old friends in the SAM.

As to the work it takes to such a convention my hat is off to the National. As I stated before it was well worth the money.

I think what I was trying to say is that a welcoming group for new members might be a good idea. I am the Chairman of the Board of the SAM Parent Assembly here in New York City. We found this a problem as well. In the old days when you attended a meeting at the Parent Assembly you would be greeted by Milbourne Christopher or others in the 1950s. We have returned to this practice and it and a great lecture series has inceased our membership here in NYC.

My coment was prehaps not clear in my earlier post. What I should have said was that that a welcoming group might have made a great convention even better for first timers.

Opie I did walk right up to you downstairs outside the dealers room and spoke to you about the plans for the new national home being planned to be built there in Texas.

Richard I did buy in the dealers room but i agree it was not crowded. I already subscribe to Genii Magazine.

Tom Klem
SAMPA#1 Board Chairman
Trustee and Archivist

Postby Guest » July 12th, 2007, 7:06 am

Tom,

You make a good point; all clubs/conventions could use more welcoming and mentoring programs...

Thank you for saying hi to me; I hope I was not too abrupt about the National Center....I am not in favor of it, you know. I believe it will be a financial catastrophe, if it ever does get built. As a matter of fact, general members have not yet approved a 20 million-dollar building, but the committee is trying to raise money for it anyway...The organization has no business owning that kind of property.

Whoops! Sorry I got off topic....

I think we both had a good time, now didn't we?

opie

Postby Guest » July 12th, 2007, 7:19 am

A couple of quick comments, Tom has a point about conventions. I always try and stay away from the New York City guys when at conventions, and I think they take it as a snub...no, just trying to meet other guys. There should be an effort by organizers to "mix" members. Not an easy task. I have also noticed, on another thread about people asking about the lack of sessioning at conventions. Vegas doesn't want people to sit around and "chat", they survive on gambling. I am thinking about an after-hours get-together next month, in my room, "balls only"....rare videos of billard guys, so bring your favorite balls.

Postby Guest » July 12th, 2007, 6:56 pm

Tom:

Some of these old friends were people that I knew before I had any afiliation at all with the SAM.

Your comments remind me of the story of the two Irishmen and the two Englishmen who were stranded on a desert island. When the rescue boat came to pick them up, the two Irishmen had been on a bender ever since they were first marooned. The two Englishmen had not spoken to each other because they had not been properly introduced.

Some clubs are better at introducing new members to other people, but I don't think a welcoming committee is the answer. I think it's a matter of finding people who aren't doing anything, going up to them and greeting them.

In both of our local clubs, we go out of our way to introduce guests at all meetings, and some of us make sure we talk to any new guys that come in.

However, I have heard from friends of mine who moved up East that the clubs in, for example, New Jersey are very cliquish. And you never know how a visitor will take any interaction from one of the "regulars." A couple of weeks ago, I had a visitor to the museum, who used to attend our meetings. He related to me that he had been somewhat intimidated by a couple of the members who came over and introduced themselves to him.

Each person has his own level of expectations. If you run into me at a convention, please come over and introduce yourself. I love all kinds of magic.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 13th, 2007, 8:57 am

Whilst Y'all (note: I have just covered two cultural areas with that greeting)... were at conventions, I was in England attending the Royal Henley Regatta (rowing on the Thames) where my Nephew made it to the quarter finals (something I believe no one from UCLA has ever done).

Anyway... we (our family) found that the Brit's there were eager to walk up to us and start to chat. We were made to feel very welcome and had a great time.

My "side trip" to Covent Garden to watch the street magicians was great too, the first few I met bought me a drink right off and we had a lot of fun there for the day.
Stay tooned.

Kenardo

Postby Kenardo » July 13th, 2007, 9:47 am

One of the first magic conventions I ever went to was an SEAM in Macon, GA around 1975. Being the one and only yankee in the crowd and not knowing anybody made the time a pretty lonely experience. Then I met the security man at the dealers room. I was impressed with him. He knew alot about magic and was a really nice guy. He helped me meet people and enjoy myself. While I lived in the South for two years, I met him twice again, and he was always interested in my magic and made sure I was enjoying myself. I remember well him showing me this rope trick he invented - a professor's nightmare! Thank you, Bob Carver. I will never forget you!

Tom Klem

Postby Tom Klem » July 14th, 2007, 5:57 pm

Bill Palmer

At the next convention I will come up to you and chat if have not been drinking and in my "Cups and Balls" enough to corner a collector like yourself in conversation.

Best,

Tom Klem

Postby Guest » July 14th, 2007, 8:01 pm

Tom, I would also have enjoyed meeting you and chatting about magic history and the Parent Assembly archives and your work with them. Alas, at conventions I am generally tethered to our H & R Magic Books booth, making me easy to find, but hard for me to mingle. Please stop by and say hello at the next convention we're at...

Tom Klem

Postby Tom Klem » July 15th, 2007, 1:19 pm

Richard Hatch

I have enjoyed your informative articles and will at the next convention stop by and say hello. It would be a real pleasure to talk to you about history, magic and our archive.

If any of you find yourselves in New York City stop by the SAM PA#1 Magic Table in Times Square. We meet for lunch on Friday's at the Edison Cafe on 47th Street just off 7th Avenue from 12:30 to past 2:00.

A mix of amateur and professional magicians have gathered at this Magic Table since 1942 when it was held at the Dixie Hotel on 43rd Street. I became the host after Mike Bornstein was tragical killed a few year back. I continued it on in his memory and now it has a dozen or more regulars aregiving me the business every week.

No politics just magic and its history.

If you are in NYC stop by.

Postby Guest » July 15th, 2007, 7:59 pm

Tom:

I'll be glad to discuss anything about magic with you. I'd like to know more about Mike Bornstein. I have his little silver cups.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 15th, 2007, 8:44 pm

Mike Bornstein was a lovely lovely man. Very generous, nice. All around great guy.

Anthony Blake

Postby Anthony Blake » July 16th, 2007, 12:03 am

Tom...

Will be in NY from the 24th to the 31st of July... will remember your get together at the Edison Cafe and try to make it by. I'm staying at the Sheraton on 7th Ave. and 52nd St.

Success!!!

Tony Blake
The Thoughtreader

Tom Klem

Postby Tom Klem » July 16th, 2007, 11:27 am

"Mike Bornstein was a lovely lovely man. Very generous, nice. All around great guy." Richard Kaufman writes.

A better description of Mike could not be written.

Bill Palmer

I contributed to a book a few year ago called "Hidden New York" by Marci Reavens & Steve Zeitlin of City Lore here in NYC. This book is dedicated to the memory three individual one of which was Mike Bornstein. It has a small chapter on the Magic Table that Mike hosted for 20 years. The book is not a magic book but rather a 378 page guide to interesting places in NYC. Perhaps it is in your local Library. If not here is a little on Mike.

Mike Bornstein had many parts to his life. One was as Kolma the Magical Mandarin in the 1940s and 50s he worked as the magician in night clubs like Leon and Eddies and Glass Hat. He wore a mask made for him by Dai Vernon's wife and a long chinese robe to complete this character. In 1947 he worked one of Herman Hanson's Magicales in Boston with Karrell Fox and Dell O'Dell on the bill with him. At one point he did a full stage show.

I saw him do the cups and balls in his later year he was clean and handled the effect with great skill. He was never one to perform anything that he did not feel he had mastered. If he felt it was not right he would not perform.

I am honored to say he was my friend. His materials are now archived in the Parent Assembly's Collections in the hope that future generations will remember Mike Bornstein.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 16th, 2007, 3:54 pm

Mike Bornstein invented the version of the floating bill that uses a piece of acetate glued to the back. When you squeeze the end of the acetate between your fingers, the bill floats. A brilliant idea.

Kenardo

Postby Kenardo » July 16th, 2007, 8:42 pm

Mike Bornstein was a New York City magic institution. He was a great supporter of both the SAM and IBM in New York City. Besides performing at club events, he was the workshop chairman for the SAM for many years. He was also a past president! He passed on his knowledge generously. Perhaps, Tom, you should start a thread on Mike based on these remarks so that more people are aware of how much of a gem he was. Trivia question (not for you, Tom): Which famous magician(s) was/were Mike's roomate(s at one time?

Return to “Buzz”