Magic In Education

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Magic In Education

Postby Guest » December 3rd, 2004, 12:24 pm

I am a Teacher in the Los Angeles Unified School District. I am very curious if there is any book or other writings on using magic as a tool in education. For instance, mathematical card tricks for addition; flash paper for reenacting historic battles; cups and balls for economics; any trick for an educational purpose.

Can anyone give me advice on this topic?

Re: Magic In Education

Postby Guest » December 3rd, 2004, 1:11 pm

THere are quite a few different resources you can use. Karl Fulves has a book out called self working number magic and self working mental magic and there are A LOT of great things in there to teach kids about how numbers and magic go hand in hand (sometimes). My wife is a teacher in LAUSD as well and some of her co-workers have used the number book as homework to see if kids can figure some of the "tricks" out.

Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » December 12th, 2004, 6:28 pm

Be careful with flash paper. It may be illegal to use in your schoolroom.
Bill Palmer, MIMC

Tom-Smith

Postby Tom-Smith » December 19th, 2004, 9:57 pm

A few colleagues and I were awarded a grant to teach aspects of science by using magic. It also incorporated writing, problem solving, story telling, etc., as students had to devise and present their own magical creation based upon a science concept. I must say that it worked quite well. I don't post frequently, but you may email me at tom@wonderworkshops.com if you have further interest. Tom

Return to “Buzz”