Fred Kaps on DVD?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: Fred Kaps on DVD?

Postby Matthew Field » October 17th, 2005, 3:25 am

Anthony Brahams has just reissued "Fred Kaps' Currency" which is Kaps' fantastic version of the Edward Victor Eleven Card Trick done with banknotes.

Info at www.thecairnpress.com

Matt Field

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » October 17th, 2005, 11:13 am

Originally posted by Matthew Field:
Anthony Brahams has just reissued "Fred Kaps' Currency" which is Kaps' fantastic version of the Edward Victor Eleven Card Trick done with banknotes.
Steve Bargatze does this trick as part of his current working repertoir. Anyone who has seen him knows what a killer effect he makes it into.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » October 20th, 2005, 4:33 pm

Back in 1991, a supermarket near where I was living at the time began selling video tapes. One tape titled "TV Classics," in a professionally printed orange colored sleeve with a photo montage of old TV performers announced "The Ed Sullivan Show introducing THE BEATLES Feb 9, 1964."

I knew that Kaps had been on that show, so for less than $10, I bought the tape in the chance that it would be complete. It was, commercials, Beatles, Frank Gorshin... and Fred doing two tricks - a card effect and his Salt Pour. He is on for just under five minutes doing the two tricks.

I read or was told that this was an edited insert from a performance during the dress rehearsal earlier in the day. The tape seems to "jump" just before Kaps walks out, as though there had been an edit.

For those of you who want to know, the length of the long pour is almost exactly one minute, and is only entertaining because of Kaps' marvelous comedic sense and flawless presentation. He knew exactly how to use music, and exactly when to end it. Would that more would follow his example.

On examination of the sleeve, there is no copyright notice and only on one tab of the sleeve is there any indication of the manufacturer with a printed logo that reads, "FB Productions" and the date of 4/91.

Possibly a bootleg and a bit surprising that it was sold in a major chain supermarket.

I believe there is a clip of Fred doing Chink A Chink with large red "weights" somewhere on one of the SAM Film Library tapes. The effect only lasts about 50 seconds, but Fred does it flawlessly. It looks like real magic.

Postby Guest » October 24th, 2005, 1:08 pm

If you want to have a nice DVD of Fred Kaps get in touch with Dick Kornwinder from Holland, he released a nice DVD with a lot of material.
Magic Christian

Terrence

Postby Terrence » October 24th, 2005, 2:02 pm

From a prior thread...

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/ ... 914#000000

(This is a wonderful DVD!)

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 27th, 2005, 9:33 am

Go to www.fredkapsdvd.com and you will be amazed
Stay tooned.