Books Scheduled for 2018?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Sean-Dylan

Books Scheduled for 2018?

Postby Sean-Dylan » January 15th, 2018, 6:47 am

Anyone know what books are scheduled to be published in 2018 from the various publishers that I should be on the lookout for?

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Re: Books Scheduled for 2018?

Postby Joe Pecore » January 15th, 2018, 7:18 am

Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » January 15th, 2018, 8:46 am

Apparently Richard Kaufman's Theodore DeLand book will be out in the first half of this year. I cannot wait!

Terry

Postby Terry » January 15th, 2018, 9:18 am

Waiting for Geoff Latta's book announcement.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 15th, 2018, 9:50 am

Terry wrote:Waiting for Geoff Latta's book announcement.

That would be from Hermetic Press. But if you hear from Geoff - say hi - he's missed.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » January 15th, 2018, 10:26 am

Bruce Cervon's book should be out this year.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » January 15th, 2018, 10:57 am

Anyone have any inside info on the Tim Conover book. Doesn't appear that the website has been updated for a while.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 15th, 2018, 11:11 am

Yes, DeLand (600 pages) and probably at least one other.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » January 15th, 2018, 11:20 am

El Mystico wrote:Bruce Cervon's book should be out this year.

That's news to me. Do you know who is authoring and publishing it? I wonder if it will include his linking finger ring routine. I was told by people who witnessed it that it was indeed the best linking finger ring routine they had ever seen.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 15th, 2018, 12:18 pm

The Bammo Flim-Flam CONglomeration: a complete collection of Bob Farmer's flim-flam articles with tons of new material. Learn the Way of the Scamurai. Scam your friends, quit work, sleep till noon.

Richard Tremblay

Postby Richard Tremblay » January 15th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Terry wrote:Waiting for Geoff Latta's book announcement.

I'm really looking forward to that one!

Richard Tremblay

Postby Richard Tremblay » January 15th, 2018, 12:52 pm

Tom Gilbert wrote:Anyone have any inside info on the Tim Conover book. Doesn't appear that the website has been updated for a while.

...and this one too!!!

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » January 15th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Here is what Vanishing Inc. has lined up for this year. Some new books in there as well.

New Projects

This is the most exciting part of this letter: where we can share just a TASTE of what’s in store for 2018. You may think it’s hyperbole, but keep track if you want: we currently have 86 projects in the works! That’s a number so large even we have a hard time wrapping our heads around it. We’ll give you a taste:

Astonishing Essays: Our highly anticipated ten-part book series, in which each book is a long essay written by a magic luminary on an unexpected topic. Max Maven on the relationship between magic and wrestling, Steve Cohen on the creation of his fantastic New York show, Rob Zabrecky on creativity, and lots more.

Magic on Tap by Denis Behr: Denis Behr is one of our favorite magicians, and he has never released a DVD series…until now. We shot this in Germany over a week, and we can’t wait for you to see it.

Turn by Peter Pelikaan: If you love this guy’s work, you’re going to FLIP over what we feel is his best trick yet. It’s a packet trick, but trust us, it’s the absolute best packet trick we’ve ever encountered. In 60 seconds, it packs in some fantastic magic.

Real Deck Switches by Ben Earl: Everyone wants to learn Ben’s deck switches, and this will be the definitive resource to learn sleight-of-hand deck switching.

Card College Masterclass with Roberto Giobbi: You’ve studied the books. Now we bring card technique to video with the undisputed master. We positively love and revere Mr. Giobbi, and this year you will be able to embark on an adventure of card sleights in five volumes, all curated by the incomparable Roberto Giobbi.

iPhone Vanish by Tim Ellis: Stand-up performers rejoice! Imagine this: you borrow a phone and place it into a mesh bag, but the spectators cringe as they SEE the cell phone fall THROUGH the bag, out of a hole, and crash onto the floor, splintering the phone into three pieces and busting the screen. Well, Tim Ellis has created a gorgeous stage prop to allow you to do just this. The borrowed cell phone can be safely produced from anywhere. You’ll receive the bag and dummy break-away cell phone. This is a hilarious utility prop, and it’s coming soon.

Of Dice and Men: Tom Stone’s neo-classic trick in which a spectator selects the only “Hug” sign in an array of “Kill” signs, is coming in high quality. This has taken two years to get right, but it’s a beautiful plot that we’re excited to bring out with the most practical props possible.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » January 15th, 2018, 12:59 pm

Andy over at The Jerx has yet to announce his plans for Season 3 of his blog. But there is always a chance that he may be working on another book as well.

performer

Postby performer » January 15th, 2018, 5:34 pm

Don't forget the Royal Road to Card Magic annotations. I expect it will come out in 2018. It will be quite wonderful. I know the author personally and can confirm his genius in these matters.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 15th, 2018, 8:49 pm

I believe, after numerous false starts, that Steve Reynolds is working on the Cervon book.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » January 15th, 2018, 8:51 pm

Here are two general public books that might be of interest:
https://www.amazon.com/Bandit-Secret-Has-Two-Faces/dp/3791355643/ by Derek DelGaudio and Glenn Kaino, with contributions by Teller, Ricky Jay, David Blaine, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/Here-Real-Magic-Magicians-Search/dp/163286424X/ by Nate Staniforth. Both shipping now from Amazon.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 16th, 2018, 1:28 pm

i'm hoping to release a book this year. Writing is mostly done. Working on close technical edits before sending it to a real proof reader. Illustrations are just beginning. We will see how long it all takes.

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » January 17th, 2018, 1:24 pm

Leonard Hevia wrote:
El Mystico wrote:Bruce Cervon's book should be out this year.

That's news to me. Do you know who is authoring and publishing it? I wonder if it will include his linking finger ring routine. I was told by people who witnessed it that it was indeed the best linking finger ring routine they had ever seen.

Hi
To answer this and a few private enquiries:

Bruce made a whole bunch of videos of his best unpublished material. In the last few years I (I'm Dominic Twose) - assisted by Steve Reynolds - have turned the strongest material into a substantial book.
His widow Linda is exploring publishing options; it seems likely to be a limited edition; her aim is to celebrate her husband's contribution to magic. It is likely to include videos of his performances, and some of his explanations.
I have a large magic library, but have no hesitation in saying there is a wealth of great, original material here. And we've tried to bring out Bruce's voice; the way he sold effects.

But - Bruce's linking rings effect depended not just on his performance, but also on the specific gaffs; we are looking to produce that separately, with the gaffs.

I think that answers the questions.

I'd add: working with Bruce's material over the past few years has been hugely exciting for me, personally.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 17th, 2018, 1:48 pm

Sounds great, Mr. Twose! Thanks for the update.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 17th, 2018, 2:46 pm

will bruce's handling of ez money/flash cash be included. He showed it to me years ago (in the company of R Paul Wilson and Jim Patton) during my first week ever working the castle. It was great.

as the linking finger ring routine is gaff dependent, it might be advantageous to include it in the book. It can only serve to motivate people to buy the gaffs from you. Let's face it, the moment the routine is tipped in any format, anyone who would try
to obtain it without paying for it, will. So you might as well include it in the book as 1) it will sell more books and 2) can only serve to increase sales of the gaffs

fwiw

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » January 17th, 2018, 2:57 pm

Joe Mckay wrote:Andy over at The Jerx has yet to announce his plans for Season 3 of his blog. But there is always a chance that he may be working on another book as well.

Great news! He is planning on writing another book if Season 3 goes ahead!

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » January 19th, 2018, 1:28 pm

Brad; I understand your marketing argument.
This book is being produced by Linda. As she has emphasized to me, her goal with this project is to celebrate and record her late husband's contribution to our art. The idea of including the linking ring description in order to sell more copies and to sell more gimmicks is just not a factor in our discussions.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 19th, 2018, 2:13 pm

still not a good argument for ommision. To produce a book that is a tribute to bruce's magic and leave out one of his most admired pieces seems foolish. i would encourage her to change her mind on that - otherwise you will face only criticism and disappointment at the release of a book which should be celebrated and revered.

you are setting up the project to fail - and if there is no motivation to sell gimmicks - then you gain nothing in the failure.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » January 19th, 2018, 2:30 pm

I agree with Brad. However if it is a small limited edition, I'd imagine there's enough people who are Cervon fans to sell out.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 19th, 2018, 3:53 pm

quentin,

i agree it will likely sell out but if selling copies isn't the motivation then there is no justification for not including the routine, especially if the goal is to create a monument to bruce's magic.

without including the routine the book will always be viewed as incomplete. No praise will ever be extended without a mention of the noticeable absence. It will always be compared to what 'it could' or 'it should' have been. It's to shoot the project in the foot before ever leaving the publishing house. if the goals truly are to preserve bruce's legacy, it's a huge mistake and one which will haunt the product no matter how good it turns out otherwise.

Brian Hebert

Postby Brian Hebert » January 19th, 2018, 4:16 pm

Will the Jennings book come out this year?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 19th, 2018, 5:46 pm

It should.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 20th, 2018, 1:19 pm

Sweet!

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » January 24th, 2018, 11:31 am

I've now had confirmation that my book, Impromptu Secrets, will be launched at Blackpool in February by International Magic.
You haven't heard of Dominic Twose...that's OK; for geographical reasons I don't mix much with other magicians. But I'm touched that magicians I admire, like Peter Duffie, Gordon Bruce, Stephen Minch and Jerry Sadowitz are saying some very kind things about it....

AJM

Postby AJM » January 24th, 2018, 12:10 pm

Sounds good - are you able to share a little detail on the contents?

I will look out for it at Bkackpool.

Cheers

Andrew

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 24th, 2018, 2:09 pm

That sounds good, Dominic. I hope we can get a copy for review in Genii.

Just remembered that I have two more books scheduled for release this year. One is a very exciting project from a "name" that I can't reveal yet. The second is a book of original packet tricks by Hideo Kato.

Mr Jon
Favorite Magician: Jim Cellini

Postby Mr Jon » January 25th, 2018, 1:49 am

Happy new year everyone. Jon Robinson (Mr. Jon) here from London.

Just to update on the above posts; International Magic recently republished Andrew Galloway's classic "Diverting Card Magic" and next month will be releasing Dominic Twose's first card/close up/mentalism book "Impromptu secrets". I did the layout (quite voluntarily) and so I have obviously seen the contents in full. As a lover of great, well thought out 'Magic' I have to say I think it's great and there is a Testimonial on the back cover by Jerry Sadowitz - who has given me permission to copy his testimonial here to give you a flavor of the content. It reads as follows:

“I am really pleased to have brought Dominic Twose and International Magic together to produce his first major collection of card magic, close up, and mentalism - and I hope it will be the first of many.

This book is not so much a breath of fresh air but a blast of nitrous oxide! There are some real gems of magic in here...strong and clear in effect, concise and subtle in method. This is magic that greatly satisfies magicians without ever sacrificing entertainment value for laymen. There is absolutely no "filler" material here and as you will discover, many of the tricks in these pages are individually worth the price of the entire book.

There is also a short article about the Malini colour change which is the most riveting thing I have read in years, containing food for thought of which the magic community is normally starved. I hope he writes more like this in the future.

As if that wasn't enough, there is a chapter of previously unpublished Dai Vernon material!

Dominic Twose was a student and confidante of Fred Robinson and other underground legends such as Eric Mason and Gordon Bruce. Like all the best magicians I know, Dominic is also a Vernon disciple and a Roy Walton fan and it shows in this, his first major work. You'll love this book.” (Jerry Sadowitz)

As a final note it is worth keeping an eye on International Magic’s website - they don't shout too much about their exclusives; So I’m tipping here that I’m working on another exciting exclusive this year involving a great legend of misdirection and also some of International Magic’s own unique exclusive effects - visit their site to register your interest in receiving updates on this and forthcoming special projects - http://www.internationalmagic.com

Best Wishes from London.

Jon

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » January 25th, 2018, 10:00 am

Andrew; this book is basically most of the good material I've developed and used over the last 30 years. It is largely cards, although there are a few other close up things. Very little of it has been published, except for a handful of tricks in The Crimp. As the title says, it is all impromptu; and requires moderate to intermediate skill.

AJM

Postby AJM » January 25th, 2018, 2:33 pm

Thanks Dominic (and Jon)

This book looks like it is right up my street - I will look out for it at Blackpool next month.

It is very difficult for most of us to gain access to the excellent material published in The Crimp - a great shame as its format very much appeals to my sensibilities - so it will be good at least to gain a little insight of what we are missing.

I wish you every success with the book.

Regards

Andrew

JHostler

Postby JHostler » January 31st, 2018, 8:07 pm

On a much smaller scale, the Firkin book is finally here (at www.absurdulous.com). Shameless, yes!!

JHostler

Postby JHostler » February 24th, 2018, 3:03 am

Two more for 2018, both of which I'm looking forward to: Tom Gagnon's latest and Alexander de Cova's "Notas."
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 24th, 2018, 10:40 am

Who's publishing de Cova's book in English?

JHostler

Postby JHostler » February 24th, 2018, 10:41 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Who's publishing de Cova's book in English?

Not sure; he just mentioned that summer was his target.
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Alex de Cova
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Alex de Cova » March 2nd, 2018, 1:04 pm

NOTAS is published by myself, because until now I didn't find a publisher yet (but then - I didn't search one either). Mark Zacharias is already proofreading some of the stuff (need proofreaders!). Graphics and photos are ready. I am working on little videoclips that show the various moves/routines, so this will be offered in addition to the book(s).

I wanted it to be ready earlier, but then various projects came into its way. I think I will get this out in 2018.

Alexander
NOTAS - my first book in English coming soon.
Read more about it on http://www.solidmagic.org/notas

Return to “Buzz”