Mahdi is THE AMAZING MAGICIAN! 超凡魔术师

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Mahdi Gilbert

Mahdi is THE AMAZING MAGICIAN! 超凡魔术师

Postby Mahdi Gilbert » December 5th, 2017, 4:35 pm

This is my first television appearance in China in which my magic was seen by over 270 million people.

JSBC asked me to perform some Cardistry, Card to Pocket, and Oil & Water for The Amazing Magicians 超凡魔术师, which is currently the number one show in China (which means it's the number one show in the world).

I'm so happy I could give a great performance for the judges (including Lee Asher, Juliana Chen, Fan Bingbing) and the live audience in person. To my surprise and delight the studio decided to release my full and virtually unedited performance to the public in their show. I am so happy that I could bring magic to the Chinese people and I hope I made hundreds of millions of people fall in love with my art, magic.

I hope that this is only the first of many trips to China! God Bless!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnN55XCMi4I

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Mahdi is THE AMAZING MAGICIAN! 超凡魔术师

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 5th, 2017, 5:05 pm

Good for you, Mahdi!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 6th, 2017, 9:13 am

Hard to find the words, but two that come to mind are, fantastic & inspiring.

As Mahdi said, don't believe them when they tell you it's impossible...

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » December 6th, 2017, 4:02 pm

Fantastic.

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » December 8th, 2017, 8:52 pm

That was beautiful

EndersGame
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Postby EndersGame » May 31st, 2018, 10:53 pm

Congratulations Mahdi! This was a lovely and inspiring performance.

It's just a real pity that the second half of the TV performance video is nearly all in Chinese. It would be great if an English translation was provided on the fly, so that we could know what all the judges were actually saying to you and about you.

How does this show work exactly? Is it a magic competition of some kind, or do you just give a performance which the judges score? In another video it mentioned something about "if you win" - what is meant by that exactly, and what was the outcome for you in this instance?

I also really loved the behind the scenes video that you shared. That really gave a good insight into all the hard work you had to put into doing something like this, with all the rehearsals, meeting new people in a new setting, making last minute-adjustments to your routine, etc. Thanks for sharing that, I really enjoyed watching all 45 minutes of that!

I noticed during your performance that there were these giant poster-boards that had artwork reminding me of your Hidden Leaves Playing Cards which you funded on Kickstarter in 2018. What's the story behind those? This was well before you launched you Kickstarter, or did you already make your deck before your appearance on Chinese TV?

Once again, congratulations on your success, Mahdi, you are a real inspiration!

Click here to see all my reviews: Magic Reviews Playing Card Reviews Board Game Reviews

Mahdi Gilbert

Postby Mahdi Gilbert » June 11th, 2018, 4:06 pm

Hi!

My deck was fully designed at this time but I didn't have the funds to print them (hence the Kickstarter) which is why I used a Bicycle deck in the performance. The people on the show (including Lee Asher) knew that I was making a deck and they loved the artwork. They originally offered to PRINT my deck so I could use it on the show (on three days notice) but I declined because I was unsure of the quality that they could produce on such short notice. We ended up using some of my artwork for the deck as a background instead. :)

Thanks for your comments and hope to share more behind the scenes footage of different projects when I can.

Best,
Mahdi

EndersGame wrote:Congratulations Mahdi! This was a lovely and inspiring performance.

It's just a real pity that the second half of the TV performance video is nearly all in Chinese. It would be great if an English translation was provided on the fly, so that we could know what all the judges were actually saying to you and about you.

How does this show work exactly? Is it a magic competition of some kind, or do you just give a performance which the judges score? In another video it mentioned something about "if you win" - what is meant by that exactly, and what was the outcome for you in this instance?

I also really loved the behind the scenes video that you shared. That really gave a good insight into all the hard work you had to put into doing something like this, with all the rehearsals, meeting new people in a new setting, making last minute-adjustments to your routine, etc. Thanks for sharing that, I really enjoyed watching all 45 minutes of that!

I noticed during your performance that there were these giant poster-boards that had artwork reminding me of your Hidden Leaves Playing Cards which you funded on Kickstarter in 2018. What's the story behind those? This was well before you launched you Kickstarter, or did you already make your deck before your appearance on Chinese TV?

Once again, congratulations on your success, Mahdi, you are a real inspiration!

Return to “Buzz”