Recruting New Staff for Genii's Light from the Lamp

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Recruting New Staff for Genii's Light from the Lamp

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 5th, 2017, 2:44 pm

We are currently seeking people to fill two positions at Genii:
1. Video reviewer
2. Trick reviewer
The job entails writing a column of 2,500 to 3,000 words three times a year. Text must be submitted as a Word doc and is subject to editing by, well, the Editor.
Apply by sending two sample reviews (one positive, the other negative) to me at moobooks@verizon.net
Thank you.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Randy Naviaux

Re: Recruting New Staff for Genii's Light from the Lamp

Postby Randy Naviaux » December 6th, 2017, 12:44 pm

As an exercise I tried writing a negative review about a book I had purchased for a friend. This was about two years ago. Three paragraphs in I had to stop. I simply couldn't find the willingness to say anything negative in a public forum about a product no matter what I personally thought. I enjoy reading reviews that are well written (negative or positive in nature) but for the life of me wouldn't wish that on anyone as a duty. It's has to be one of the most thankless jobs.

Susan Arendt
Favorite Magician: Doug Henning

Re: Recruting New Staff for Genii's Light from the Lamp

Postby Susan Arendt » January 8th, 2018, 3:49 pm

Randy Naviaux wrote:As an exercise I tried writing a negative review about a book I had purchased for a friend. This was about two years ago. Three paragraphs in I had to stop. I simply couldn't find the willingness to say anything negative in a public forum about a product no matter what I personally thought. I enjoy reading reviews that are well written (negative or positive in nature) but for the life of me wouldn't wish that on anyone as a duty. It's has to be one of the most thankless jobs.

I reviewed video games for about 15 years. It's important to remember you're critiquing the work, not the creator, and you're providing a service for the audience. My approach was "here's the experience I had", which lets the reader decide if that's well suited to them or not. It's true that some reviewers delight in being nasty, but they tend not to last too long.

And honestly? The hardest reviews to write were about games that were just...fine. Not great. Not terrible. You'd play it, you'd be entertained, and then when you were done, you'd immediately forget about it. I always found it most challenging to write something engaging about those sorts of experiences.
Magic is for everyone.

Return to “Buzz”