Eric Mead rocks!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
erdnasephile

Eric Mead rocks!

Postby erdnasephile » September 23rd, 2017, 10:19 pm

I just saw his brilliant turn on "Fool Us" on my DVR tonight. His performance of Tim Conover's version of Ramsay's Cylinder and Coins was just stunning. The psychological conceit he began with was even better. If you haven't seen it, be sure to watch the performance on the Fool Us website.

http://www.cwtv.com/shows/penn-teller-fool-us/

Bravo, Sir!

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Re: Eric Mead rocks!

Postby Ted M » September 24th, 2017, 12:08 am

That was some quality time with Eric Mead.

Loved every minute.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » September 24th, 2017, 3:46 am

Expertly staged, framed and performed.
Fearless and executed with with cold-blooded ruthlessness.
He went for the jugular and showed no mercy. Bravo!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 25th, 2017, 2:46 pm

Direct link from Mr. Mead's Youtube channel:

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » September 25th, 2017, 2:58 pm

That's some of the best coin magic/sleight of hand I've ever seen. A real pro!

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » September 25th, 2017, 7:38 pm

Eric did an amazing job.

performer

Postby performer » September 26th, 2017, 6:44 am

My problem is that I have seen too much magic and have become very cynical and jaded. I sometimes see faults that others don't see. Whether real or imagined I have no idea. Still, I have been doing this stuff for about 60 years and you do pick up some knowledge over such a long period particularly if you are dedicated to the subject. I try to keep quiet and I generally do if the performer is low profile. However, if it is a high profile performer and everyone is praising them to the skies I just can't seem to bear it and I become tempted to let loose. Oddly enough if the same performer was being criticised by all and sundry I would take the performer's side! It is the rebel in me. Or more likely the impression I have formed over the years is that the trouble with magicians is that they think their opinions are important. They aren't. (Except mine of course) So I rebel and automatically take the opposite side.

Oddly enough I never criticise the trick. Half the time I don't even watch it properly. Regrettably I trained myself years ago to regard the trick as unimportant. Just a tool. Nothing more. Unfortunately this attitude although very useful to a performer has the disadvantage that you tend to lose interest in the magic itself. When you realise that any bloody trick will do if the performer has charisma and good presentation, alas it takes the fun out of magic. It makes you a good magician but at the cost of enjoying the art itself to a degree. And of course the tricks are the core of the art.

Anyway the moral of the tale is never try to impress me with a trick. I am not interested in tricks. If it is a fantastic trick and it goes over well then the inventor of the trick deserves the applause rather than yourself. I do tend to watch the presentational details rather than the trick. Providing it is free from profanity and blue material, not too long winded, does not over present and reasonably entertaining you might be in with a chance with me. But there is one factor more important than that which impresses me beyond measure. That the performer is a bit of a character and sells HIMSELF rather than the trick! Then you might, just might win me over. Difficult but not impossible.

Sorry, but that is just the way I am.

Return to “Buzz”