Penn & Teller Fool Us

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
TGPlano

Penn & Teller Fool Us

Postby TGPlano » September 18th, 2017, 8:25 am

Did anyone see Gertner’s Cups and Balls on Fool Us. He seems to have added a new ending… first time I’ve seen it. My wife loved it. That's a real compliment.

Here is a link: https://youtu.be/gx3spZi1FjM

Ted

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Penn & Teller Fool Us

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 18th, 2017, 8:48 am

Maybe he added a page from Tom Stone and Eric Decamps?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

timbrown
Favorite Magician: Frank Garcia

Postby timbrown » September 18th, 2017, 9:17 am

He added the soda can appearance and the sponge balls I think. But in my opinion it was not an improvement. Because the can that appeared (full size can) and the glass (mini-size) were incompatible. When Paul poured the soda from the can it filled the glass (barely) and was obviously empty afterwards. It would have been better (maybe - who am I to give advice to Paul Gertner) to splash some in the glass and then take a drink from the can. In that way we would not have known that only a small amount of liquid was in the can that had appeared. I loved Paul's performance and think that his cup and balls routine is just perfection. And I love "Fool Us" because it gives a showcase to really great magicians each week and it treats them all as winners. I really hope to see the show continue for years.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 19th, 2017, 12:52 pm

I really respect PG for taking his classic routine, and adding a new twist to try to fool P & T. I kind of wish they hadn't had music during the routine, though--I found it a little distracting.

The act I liked best was Liberty Larsen. I had never seen her perform before, and I thought she was charming and funny, and the lines were well written and clever. I also didn't expect the ice, and it fooled me.

However, where I really got beat was that Blass' sneaky adaptation of Michael Close's Frog Prince routine. I missed the switch big time. Contrary to P and T, I wasn't all that enamored with the live frog, as there was a rather extended period with the deck out of sight.

I really liked the premise and performance of Starman's routine, but it went on a bit too long for my taste. It also make me think Yann Frisch might do very well here.

Still very much enjoying this season.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 25th, 2017, 4:53 pm

You know who I think would definitely fool P and T?

Kent Gunn

One of the sneakiest magicians I've ever seen. (Remember his Stabbed in the Pack routine that tortured everyone?) His Fun Shop cups and balls would kill on that show.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » September 25th, 2017, 5:32 pm

Outstanding! Great magic AND patter! Not the usual explanatory, "If I take this ball and place it here and tap like this etc. etc." But an engaging story, that I would guess is, at least in part, based on his own true life experience as a boy - or at least you would believe so... I am thankful, however, that by 1963, my mother was not the only woman I had kissed. I must confess that, after sneaking a belt or two from the unlocked liquor cabinet, I was never able to resist grandma.

performer

Postby performer » September 25th, 2017, 7:04 pm

I am an old cynic and very hard to please. I just watched up to 3.30 and my first impressions so far is too much talk and not enough action. It seems to be the American way of doing things. Still, I have not yet given up hope. I shall watch the rest and see if my low attention span can manage to get to the end.

performer

Postby performer » September 25th, 2017, 7:16 pm

I did watch right to the end and that is a very rare thing for me as I detest watching magic. Most of it bores the crap out of me. However, this wasn't too bad at all in the end. A very good finish although a bit long winded as American close up magicians tend to be. And a bit artificial sounding too. Still, there was more good than bad. I will give it 7 out of 10. Coming from me that is a lot.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » October 17th, 2017, 10:57 am

Gertner is the bomb. Fools me every time I watch him.

Erdnasephile - merci buckup! I'm not the target performer Penn and Teller's producers are looking for. They need to profile working magicians who could use a leg up on their visibility. I don't make a dime from magic and the FANTASTIC platform that Penn and Teller are providing is for guys who need it. Nonetheless your compliment made me blush, a bit. Thank you.

Mark, I've missed your feedback. Glad to see you're still proffering words of mild disdain to the unwashed masses. You've been insulting me and that cups and balls routine for eight years now. I'd be lost without your insights and charming banter.

7 out of 10; from you, that's high praise. I'll have to say . . . Thank you.

AJM

Postby AJM » October 17th, 2017, 11:18 am

Kent

You would fry Penn and Teller.

Cheers

Andrew

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » October 23rd, 2017, 2:01 pm

I just received news from the Fool Us producers that the final episode of season four (Hanging out with Penn & Teller) will air on October 30, 2017. A lot of people have asked about this. Please spread the word.

Return to “Buzz”