Steve Baker RIP

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Diego

Steve Baker RIP

Postby Diego » September 17th, 2017, 6:02 pm

I have read on Dean Carnegie's website, escape artist/magician, Steve Baker passed away on Sept. 16th. He was a local celebrity in the Bay Area in the 1960's and with numerous TV appearance, became better known across the country in the 1970's.

Others who knew him better can write more fully about him. Growing up in the Bay Area, I watched him achieve a public presence locally, when few others could. I am glad that I was able to speak with him at The Magic Castle, a few years ago, before his health began declining.

Diego

Re: Steve Baker RIP

Postby Diego » November 20th, 2017, 1:32 am

When I was on my phone today, and read that teen idol, David Cassidy had died, I was with about a dozen people in the 20s' and 30's. I asked did anyone know who David Cassidy was? What "The Partridge Family" was? NO one had any idea.

Fame is fleeting.

At one time, Steve Baker was on national TV every week, creating a name people remembered. But outside of just a couple of online posts online that Steve Baker had died, there was no other mention in the magic magazines or elsewhere. Why so little attention for this? Certainly the passage of time and because Baker had not performed for decades. Also a number of people over the years say they were taken advantage of, financially by him, which may have left a negative legacy for some.

Who knows?
Last edited by Diego on November 20th, 2017, 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 20th, 2017, 1:44 am

I believe Cassidy is still alive but in critical condition. Fame truly is a fleeting and empty goal.

Diego

Postby Diego » November 20th, 2017, 4:12 am

I have not bought-in to a "celebrity death hoax" before, but with the previous reports of his poor condition, it seemed logical and now noticed online, others are debunking the hasty/false reports.

Sorry for the misinformation. Still sad for his condition.

Years ago he appeared on a TV show I was working on, and he impressed staff, crew and audience, for his friendly, considerate manner.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 20th, 2017, 4:02 pm

Charles Manson, on the other hand, is good and dead.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » November 20th, 2017, 8:52 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Charles Manson, on the other hand, is good and dead.

Where will he spend eternity? Location, location, location.

Diego

Postby Diego » April 26th, 2018, 3:05 am

Saw that Steve Baker's passing, was noted in the, "In Memoriam" segment of the AMA Awards last Sunday.

Return to “Buzz”