Derren cancels show without warning

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Stokes

Derren cancels show without warning

Postby Richard Stokes » August 18th, 2017, 8:05 pm

Today I drove to Cambridge with three friends (non-magicians) who were keen to see Derren Brown's latest show.
En route, we dropped by the American WW2 Cemetery near Madingley.
Later, while downing a pint in the famous Eagle Pub (where Watson and Crick announced their discovery of the structure of DNA) I unwisely informed my guests that Derren's show had been suddenly cancelled the night before due to unforeseen circumstances. That was an old joke , of course.
Then as we approached the theatre much to our shock we saw that Derren had indeed cancelled tonight's and tomorrow's performance! The joke was on me!

PLEASE NOTE: Due to an injury, Derren Brown has been medically advised not to perform until further notice. All performances are therefore cancelled. He is sincerely sorry not to be able to undertake the UNDERGROUND shows at the Corn Exchange in Cambridge but assures his fans he will be back on stage as soon as is physically possible. The theatre will be in touch to advise you regard refunds.

"I'm so utterly mortified to have to cancel a bunch of shows. I love doing this show more than anything else and the tour has been going down a storm.I know for many people it's a big deal to make the trip and come see it. I'm hoping to recover quickly and get back on the road as soon as I can and complete the tour as planned" Derren

It made me wonder on what grounds a mentalist can justifiably cancel a show. Intense migraine? Labrynthitis?
Assuming their vocal cords are intact, surely a bona fide mentalist will be able to perform under any conditions? They are mentalists, not physicalists. (Or at least that's what the public thinks.)
My friends were very disappointed, but one voiced the opinion that Derren would be under enormous mental strain to perform his feats accurately every engagement and it was not surprising that he might have to take one or two days off.
I declined from enlightening her...

There is a rumour Derren might have injured his neck, but I can't confirm this.

One thing that did annoy me was the late communication. I found a message on my answering machine (6.45 pm) from the Cambridge theatre informing me about the cancelled show. That's 45 mts before the show was supposed to start (7.30pm). And it takes me an hour to drive to Cambridge any case. We left my home town much earlier in the afternoon, so this message was practically useless.

Unfortunately, Derren, a mere mortal with no access to any special mental powers, was unable to anticipate or predict in advance how his injury would affect his performances.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Derren cancels show without warning

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 19th, 2017, 10:47 am

Shows get cancelled all the time due to performer illness. Most often you don't find out until you get to the theater. It's not worth a long post!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Buzz”